Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
Nights Camped in 2010 - 2

Securing the awning

Hi All,

We are on day four of our five day trip to Shenandaoh Valley, and I have a question on what I should do to secure the awning. I am concerned about leaving it extended even in a slight breeze. Yet, I look around the RV park and see other folks leaving their's open in a storm. I do not want to chance that, but don't want to feel like I have to retract it everytime the wind picks up. It's nice to sit outside, under the awning, with a nice breezing blowing. I am hoping that some of you can share your successes with me??? Thanks,
Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
sailingsuppo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #2

This subject has come up here a lot, if you try a seach you will more than likely come up with some good information.

On our manual awning with our last RV I used a set of Awning Deflapers on each end and a tie down kit with "corkscrews" that screw into the ground. Long springs are attached to the screws then a cargo strap is connected to the spring and to the awning bar. That way the awning isn't damaged by movement of the RV but it is tied down tight enough that the wind can't move it.

We have camped in some really rough storms and high winds on the Oregon coast and other areas with this method and never a problem.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #3

When we owned our 5th wheel I would leave our awning out all the time other than in strong winds or storms. While at the beach where it is usually windy, I would put stakes in the ground and use ratchet straps to keep the awning secured, but if the wind seems too strong, don't chance it.
We have a MH now and the awning is basically straight out with no tilt due to a slideout being underneath it. I do not leave this one out in the rain or the wind, the conditions have to be near perfect. Rule of thumb: If you leave the campground for any lenght of time always retract your awning.
Not sure what type of situation you fall under, but I hope this helps.

Which campground are you staying in? We always like to stay at the KOA in Verona while visiting that area.

2008 Forest River Berkshire 390QS
2006 Ford Focus Toad
Sometimes 6X12 enclosed trailer with a
2007 1200c HD Sportster & a 2006
HD Night Train
06nighttrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #4

I agree with the others. I've been using awning anchors for years. As long as there isn't a serious storm approaching, I trust these enough to leave the awning out.

Hard to see in this picture, but there are black straps securing the awning. Bought these anchors at Camping World.

Same straps used on my previous camper (36' Class A):

https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #5

I really miss my manual awning for this reason. I don't stake down the power one even though you can as it is just to high to reach it. That means that if a hard rain comes up we have no protected "porch" area to get out of the rain when coming and going and we can't leave anything out like our chairs to stay dry.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
"DIP" your awning!

If you suspect that it will rain while you are away or at night while sleeping, just "DIP" one end of the awning. As posted already, buy two screw in "DOGGIE" anchors from your local Flea market (about $1.00 ea), a couple of "LONG" ratchet type motor cycle tie downs. and again while you are away, just roll it up!!!
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 03:47 PM   #7
bmg

We spent quite a bit of time in the NC/VA mountains this summer. Early on I tried tying the awning down with some tent stakes and rope. The stakes held ok, but the awning still wanted to move around on us as the rope stretched a bit.

On our last trip I bought a Happy Hook (not hooker) and installed it. We were in pretty strong winds just off the Blue Ridge Parkway and it held incredibly well. The C shaped hardware locks into the groove on the awning frame. The rope attaches to the hardware and the steel screw stakes. Then it has clinching hardware that tightens the rope. It was a solid as a rock; no give at all in gusty conditions. We got ours at CW. I would spend a few extra bucks and get one. We were pleasantly surprised at how well it worked.

Happy Hook Awning Tie Down - Item - Camping World
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

After I got my TT, my brother gave me the anchors, bungees, ratchet starps & deflappers for my awning. So far out of the 3 trips I've taken w/ the trailer, I've only been able to use the anchors once (that being the 1st trip).

The second trip the site was on "pit run" gravel, which is round stone, w/ a lot of sand mixed in. As soon as I put tension on the ratchet strap, the anchor wanted to pull out.

This past weekend, the ground (dirt) is so hard when it's dry, you can't even start the anchor.

I was thinking afterwards if a couple of deck or cement blocks could be used in a situation like this? What do you guys do when you can't get the anchor into the ground?

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
After I got my TT, my brother gave me the anchors, bungees, ratchet starps & deflappers for my awning. So far out of the 3 trips I've taken w/ the trailer, I've only been able to use the anchors once (that being the 1st trip).

The second trip the site was on "pit run" gravel, which is round stone, w/ a lot of sand mixed in. As soon as I put tension on the ratchet strap, the anchor wanted to pull out.

This past weekend, the ground (dirt) is so hard when it's dry, you can't even start the anchor.

I was thinking afterwards if a couple of deck or cement blocks could be used in a situation like this? What do you guys do when you can't get the anchor into the ground?
You should be able to drive the thin steel tent stakes that backpackers use. I've driven those in hard rocky ground and through hard pack gravel. They usually hold pretty well, but you might want to use 2 ropes and 2 stakes at each end of the awning. Also you can take the awning pull down guide that rolls up in the awning and anchor that in the middle with a stake or 2.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg View Post
You should be able to drive the thin steel tent stakes that backpackers use. I've driven those in hard rocky ground and through hard pack gravel. They usually hold pretty well, but you might want to use 2 ropes and 2 stakes at each end of the awning. Also you can take the awning pull down guide that rolls up in the awning and anchor that in the middle with a stake or 2.
I was thinking of making some stakes out of angle iron.

I've bent a few tent pegs in the 2nd CG over the years before I moved up to the popup.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, rockwood