Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

Seriously Considering Rockwood 5er

New to the Forum.

We are seriously considering a Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 5th wheel model 8289WS. We are replacing a 2008 Jayco Jayfeather 25 LGT, our first trailer. I really like this trailer but am a bit concerned about overall insulation of the product. FR does not state the insulation behind the front cap or the furnace BTUs. The other rig we are considering is a Jayco Eagle Premier. I believe the Jayco is a level above this Rockwood but I may be wrong, but "R" numbers are higher.
Any comments on the 8289WS would be greatly appreciated.
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Owner/Operator

We ordered our 8289WS in January, and received our factory order last month (3/15) at the dealer.

Have not had it out yet. In the modification mode, which involves getting into a lot of the unseen areas of the RV. So far, pleased with the construction and workmanship. A few very minor items not to MY liking (no internal Electric Water Heater switch, panel in front of Sub Woofer) but easily corrected.

We loaded ours with just about all the options except the Lazy Boy Recliners. I don't see how those Lazy Boys would fit and still have room for the small a table with lamp. We're not recliner people (wife on sofa with dogs, I'm at table on Laptop).

We love the "minimum carpet" option. Besides being a lot easier to clean, my muddy boots from the Rodeos won't be staining the carpet.

Have no knowledge of the Jayfeather, but pleased as punch with the Rockwood. And the RAM 3500 Cab&Chassis doesn't even know it's back there.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 PM   #3

Questions

Thanks George. Love going to the Rodeo, was in Tucson late Feb for the show. You guys work really hard. Tough life, be safe and healthy.

So on the water heater: Is it auto electric when plugged in, do you have to go outside to shut it off or switch to gas? Just how does that work and how did you fix?

On the sub-woofer, do you mean they put a panel in front of it instead of a fabric type material? How did you fix?

One more- I was curious is the TV plays home theater through the stereo or does that only happen if you watch a DVD?

Many thanks. Hope I am not bothering you.

David
Old 04-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
Owner/Operator

The Water Heater (DSI/Electric) has a switch on the outside face of the Water Heater to turn on the Electric Element. There is no switch inside the RV to turn on the electric. There is a Gas (DSI) switch on the main switch panel to operate the Gas mode. Behind the Water Heater the electrical cord is plugged into a conventional AC Outlet. I merely routed the romex going to that outlet through an appropriately rated switch that I mounted on the side of the cabinet under the microwave. I haven't got the pictures up yet for that mod, but there are several pictures for the other mods that I've done.

The output of the TV can be routed into one of the inputs on the Entertainment Unit (Genesis in my case) to play synthetic surround from anything on the TV.

This thread contains several mods that I've done, and explains the Sub Woofer issue.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #5

The Rockwood ultralights are a bit short on insulation, as the walls are only one inch thick. But the roof and floor would be similar to others.
That is a nicer camper than a standard Jayco Eagle, but the 'premier' might be close to the same.
We have the leather recliners, and there is plenty of room for them.
As for the water heater, we just leave the electric on all the time, and throw the propane heat on if we both want showers at the same time.
So the outside electric switch has never been an issue.

Do note that like most of the lighter campers these days, the floor is a bonded sandwich of 1/4 inch plywood/styrofoam/1/4 inch plywood. Seems to be functional, but obviously not like having 5/8 inch plywood under foot.
Other than that, the quality and fit-and-finish of the Rockwood/Flagstaff line is very good for the price point.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #6

I've made it a habit to turn the electric water heater on/off, at the rocker switch on the unit (yes, outside). My concern is burning up the water heater if not filled with water.

Just part of the routine of setting up for us. Hook up water, wife turns inside faucets on, once they have good flow I then hit the switch.

You could also just pull the fuse.
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #7

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

You stated you have the leather recliners are they the Lazy Boys or were the leather recliners an option or standard? Which ones do you have and is there a need to turn them sideways when closing the slides?

My dealer is trying to tell me the walls are 3 inches thick. He seems to be a straight up guy but think he is just not knowing of this fact. He seems knowledgeable on most of it.

I do not have rodeo George's skill set to perform all those changes. I think if I wanted to fix the water heater switch I would just get an RF remote and plug the heater into an RF receiver. They are cheap and available at home improvement stores. Your solution works wells

Does you floor flex?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #8

I'm not knocking either product. I used to have a Jayco Eagle TT and now a Forest River product. I was/am extremely happy with both. But, IMHO the Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite and the Jayco Eagle Premier and in two different tiers with the Jayco above the Rockwood.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #9

Agree

I fully agree the Premier is a more robust rig. At this point I am just trying to gather as much info as possible. I guess it boils down as to what you will using it for and how much length & weight you want to pull.

Thanks for your input

David
Old 04-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #10

Yes, we have the optional Lazy Boy leather recliners. And yes, we have to turn them sideways when pulling in the slides. No big deal, as you have to do the same with the standard recliners, at least on our unit.

If your dealer is trying to tell you the walls are 3 inches thick, he is either an idiot, or a liar. Neither says much for his integrity.

As for the floor, I cannot feel any flex in it, but I wouldn't go stomping around on it in my work boots either. We treat our camper like our home, and take our shoes off at the door. So walking around in sock feet should have no effect.
But I do use a step ladder with over-sized and flat feet on it to reach above the slides to put the slide locks on. No sense in pushing my luck!
The older campers that developed the soft floors had even thinner "plywood" from what I understand, or they used that very cheap "luan".
And the floor joists may have been farther apart as well.

And as I said before, a lot of campers are now using this floor system, and most likely only the heavier campers still use real plywood.

All things considered, the Rockwood/Flagstaff's are a very good camper.
As for the Jayco's being better, my neighbour has a very big Eagle, and it is a very poorly constructed camper from what I have seen. But it isn't a "premier". I'm not sure what difference that makes.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:35 PM   #11

I just took a peak at the Eagle Premiers, and considering that the smallest one is four feet longer and 50% heavier, it really isn't a fair comparison. I can imagine what the price difference is as well. And you should have a one-ton truck to pull it.
Bottom line, a heavier camper will always be a better camper, and you get what you pay for.
happy hunting!
Old 04-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #12

Thanks

Hey WISCAMPSIN;

Thanks for input. Your rig looks beautiful. Are you happy with it? Do you get to pull it very often?