Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

Sewage Stench help

Hi All,

Ive got a new 2014 2703WS which we've had about 10 months now. About 2 weeks ago it began to develop a STRONG (gag a maggot) sewage odor in the bedroom everytime the toilet is flushed and only when its flushed. The toilet seal is good, no internal leaks anywhere and the odor is not comming from the bathroom. There is no odor under the bathroom sink either. Doesnt make much sense to me and am hoping someone might have an idea to the cause. Its under warrently but is currently at our perm campsight and would rather not have to move it if its something i could easily address.

Thank you in advance.

Mike & Lori
MNoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #2

Use you phone camera to snap a pic of the ID tag.

Is it a Dometic 300 toilet?

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dome...=13&gws_rd=ssl
Old 08-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #3

It is indeed a Dometic Model 300

Mike
Old 08-23-2014, 08:13 PM   #4

Then you need to call them (Dometic)first thing Monday AM.
You will need both the model and SN of the unit you have.
They will send you a new one, easy in and out.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

I've noticed in my Windjammer if i have my exhaust fan in bathroom and i flush i can get sewer odor if i dont have another roof vent open. The fan sucks air out and directs it out side. Without having another vent open it sucks odor up when its flushed. It sucks air from the tank roof vent and up thru toilet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
dougwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:33 PM   #6

Hi Doug, I initially thought that might be the problem but tested it by partially filling the bowl by partially depressing the foot lever enough to activate the water but not enough to open the flush valve I then depressed further to slightly open the flush valve allowing the water to slowly drain but not enough to completely empty the bowl this effectively kept a water plug in the bowl. The odor still appears in the bedroom.

Mike
Old 08-23-2014, 10:42 PM   #7

Could your black tank vent be blocked and/or somehow venting into your bedroom? Long shot, I know, but weirder things have happened. Good luck!
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #8

Try that camco cyclone vent for the blackwater tank. That solved a similar problem for me.
NavyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post
Try that camco cyclone vent for the blackwater tank. That solved a similar problem for me.
These are a gimmick they really don't work.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Save your money and time they don't work. I argued not long go that they made a huge difference and found that I was wrong. I put them on my MH as I had an odor sometimes but not always. The new cyclone vents seemed to take care of the issue until one failed. It was like a bearing went bad the sound vibrated the roof and made driving down the road unbearable. I had them removed when my roof was replaced and the stock ones back on. No odor issue in the two years since. I do believe that keeping the black tank cleaner and the roof vents closed when in a windy condition or driving stopped the odor.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

It's the toilet

Have Dometic send you a new, free toilet. Fixed my stinky 2604WS.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #12

Also can check if your unit has a air admittance valve anywhere. Out 8321 has one for the outdoor kitchen sink (Which is plumbed to the black tank) with the fantastic fan running with no other vents or windows open, our air admittance valve will fail and allow sewer odor to pass into the bunkroom.

Replacing the valve will correct. Purchase a Oakley brand or better from big box store or plumbing supply.

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
These are a gimmick they really don't work.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
That's what I thought too at first. But I figured for $15 and 5 minute installation, minimal loss at worst. 3 Trips later that sewage smell has not come back. Coincidence?
NavyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:24 AM   #14

Quote:
That's what I thought too at first. But I figured for $15 and 5 minute installation, minimal loss at worst. 3 Trips later that sewage smell has not come back. Coincidence?
Only if you have not changed ANY thing else.

Amount of water used and the tank treatment alone could make a difference.

We use the blue stuff from Walmart with no issues, 5 gallons or so of water and the recommended amount of treatment.

Some people suggest you have the vent fan shut off when flushing.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:38 AM   #15

We had a similar problem with our new Rockwood and the dealership acted like we were imagining the smell or just inexperienced campers. We finally called Dometic, the toilet department, and as soon as we told them our problem and model number they immediately said there was a defect with that model and had a new one shipped to us in a matter of a couple of days, no charge. Easy to replace and new one has no problems. Hope you get some resolution soon.
Julie
danandjulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:46 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
The only possible way for these things to work is you need to have an "open" system.
Our rv systems are closed.

The only time this gadget will in fact work is the 3 seconds or less that your toilet valve is open. "Thus an open system"

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #17

Does that Camco Cyclone vent work well for the $, I was not sure how well it would work, thought about it just to help keep odors out while driving
Old 09-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #18
Infractee

As Turbs stated above, it does not work. There is not a way for the sewage stench to be "cycloned" out of your black tank unless there is air let in to replace the noxious gas. The only time there is air let in to the tank is when your foot is on the flusher. Unfortunately "vent" in this situation is a bit of a misnomer, the vent is not there to let the smell out, it is there to ensure that your tank and associated plumbing do not get pressurized, either positive or negative and if so it lets air in or out to prevent damage. Any stench escaping your black tank thru the vent pipe is merely a happy side effect of the vent system.

If you install one of these due to a stench and the stench goes away, especially while driving then something is wrong in your system, as in your closed system is no longer closed.
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote