Old 06-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
I think he meant that they use this for the gray water only. When it comes time to dump the black tank, they lift the hose, eliminating the trap.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Yes. Thanks. I guess I left out that detail.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc5mhb View Post
Don't forget you also have a sewer vent that exits the top of your trailer. When you flush and have your black water tank closed and fantastic fan on; it will do the same thing. I don't always run with the black water open but seeing the photo, I just might try that. So yeah, with the tank closed and fan running, when you flush, the fan will pull air back through the vent and up through the toilet. I just tell the kids to turn the fan off and then flush.
Yes, this is what I'd check, too. It would be odd coming from a new trailer but it's something to remember even if it isn't the problem this time.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:40 PM   #13

I also recently was told by a friend that he was getting a bad smell and discovered dirt daubers had built a nest in the vent pipe and thus plugged it up. Unplugged it and all was well.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #14
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Don't forget about the black tank air admittance valve, usually found inside bathroom vanity, as a source of 'smells'.....
Old 06-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #15

It's not from the black tank, it's from the gray tank....but, yes. That is where the gas was coming in.....fixed with the "Slinky P-trap"
Old 06-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
We just got this new trailer and our first day using it. We ordered the nice Maxair fans which we are very happy with.

So...taking a shower on the first night, turning on the fan. So nice...except suddenly a really bad sewer gas smell comes into the trailer. This smell cannot be coming from our new trailer since neither tank has anything in it except a small amount of clean water. We wondered who was dumping that smelled so bad? We went out and walked around the trailer to see if anyone had spilled sewer or was dumping. There was no smell outside. We came back in the trailer and the smell was really, really bad. In the bathroom and back bedroom.

I finally figured what the smell was coming from. When we have full-hookups, I always open the gray water tank to drain into the dump. While taking a shower, and with all of the windows closed, the Maxair fan creates enough vacuum to suck the sewer gas past the one-way air trap under the bathroom sink.

OK. That makes sense. So, now what???. I just closed the dump valve to the gray tank and.... problem solved....except now I have to crawl down and dump every other day.

Thinking.....thinking. Why don't the RV parks have P-traps on the sewer ???

Wait for it.....wait for it....

Make my own P-trap.......problem solved.

Now I can leave the gray dump open and run the fan without sucking in that awful gas.
I never dump every day, I let mine get at least 3/4 full or when I am ready to leave. Reason if you leave your black tank valve open the water will drain ahead of waste and paper eventually it will build up and really be a problem getting out. Let the treatment tabs do their job and break the waste down.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:28 PM   #17

I don't leave the black tank valve open...just the gray....until the last day or two. Then I close it and use the water to flush the sewer hose after dumping the black water tank.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:54 PM   #18

Croaker, first I want to say I think you have a good idea with the "Slinky P-Trap" and I may use your idea myself. We are seasonal campers and leave the grey tank open all the time because that is what works for us.

But, I think you may be addressing a symptom not the cause. Odor should not becoming through the air valve unless something else is wrong. Actually any negative pressure caused by the fan should be making the seal tighter and the odor should be less likely to come through. (Unless the membrane is torn or dirty.) So, while taking a shower today, I noticed a slight odor myself and I may have noticed it before but over looked it. Thinking of your comments, I checked my valves under the sink. Both valves were only screwed in about 2 threads with a minimal amount of sealant. I think it would be easy for odor to be pulled through the threads. I hand tightened them about 5 more turns and I will see what happens. If that does not work, I will try to add more sealant. It may be worth checking yours.

Anyway, thanks for the idea. You helped at least one camper.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:33 AM   #19

TKHarper14,

Good point !! I was thinking the negative pressure was forcing the membrane open. But you are right, it shouldn't do that.

Still could be a defective or just a cheap air admittance valve that doesn't seal....or gas escaping from somewhere else ??

Now you redirected my thinking......problem not solved.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDHfan View Post
I think he meant that they use this for the gray water only. When it comes time to dump the black tank, they lift the hose, eliminating the trap.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
But would you not want a fair amount of gray water to flush your hose after you flush your black tank ???

If it were me all valves would be closed !!!

Tags
roo