Old 06-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Isn't this valve on the sink drain which empties into the grey water tank, not black? What am I missing here?

Yes, it's merely similar to a household roof vent pipe with a check valve or flap preventing air reversal. They can become dislodged and leak foul air backwards. If a grey valve left open your system can be connected to the CG grey and black systems.
The valve OC is referring to is the black tank check valve and vacuum breaker. Purposely installed with a 5' ht. Vertical loop. Prevents black tank from being siphoned into the the fresh water shore supply. Every home built in the past 25 years has similar fittings. Not a FR idea, it's required by Fed. codes and local laws.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:18 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Yes, it's merely similar to a household roof vent pipe with a check valve or flap preventing air reversal. They can become dislodged and leak foul air backwards. If a grey valve left open your system can be connected to the CG grey and black systems.

I removed the "check valve/air admittance valve". Looks clean and new. No evidence of malfunction and appears to be non-serviceable.

Is there a better brand or type that I could replace it with that might seal better??
Maybe one that is spring loaded ??

Old 06-06-2016, 05:16 AM   #33

I have always been partial to Studor Mini Vent. They are in stock at Home Depot and Lowes.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:26 AM   #34
Mod free 5er

You can go to Lowes and buy one and install it on the inlet hose connection. Mine had one from the factory as shown in the picture. I just removed the second one that was leaking along with all the excess hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black tank back flow valve 1.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	110263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Black tank back flow valve close up.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	110264  
Old 06-06-2016, 09:11 AM   #35

Here is a completely different point of view, when you had the fan running did you have any other roof vents open? If you left the grey tank open the sewer smell will come up through the tank and exhaust through the vent pipe on top of the trailer. The smell will be sucked in through the vent, trust me I have done this by accident also the longer you let it go you smell it outside your trailer too.

Phil
2012 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.2L FlexFuel
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #36

No. No other vents open on the roof.

That's the problem.

With all the vents and windows closed, the trailer is so "air-tight" that the Maxxair vent draws a vacuum in the trailer and is sucking sewer gas out of the tank from somewhere. I suspect the Gray Tank Air Admittance valve under the vanity (short 1-1/2" standpipe) because the smell came into the bathroom.

I solved the problem with the "Slinky P-trap", but as mentioned by TKArper14, this doesn't address the cause of the problem.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #37

"Purposely installed with a 5' ht. Vertical loop. Prevents black tank from being siphoned into the the fresh water shore supply" Isn't the spray nozzle above the liquid in the black tank? Isn't the fresh water supply under constant pressure?
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:03 PM   #38

What do you plumbing guys think about replacing the Air Admittance Valve with a older type spring loaded Auto-Vent ??

Seems like these would be less likely to open. ?

CLICK HERE ----> Your plumbing system should not pass gas indoors!
***.another question......Is it possible that the Maxxair vent could be creating enough vacuum to pull sewer gas past the shower P-trap ??
Old 06-08-2016, 05:59 PM   #39
2016 Rockwood Ultra-Lite

Croker,
I found out with my Monaco motorhome (before the Rockwood), that those AAV's (Air Admitance Valves) can not only go bad, but can be bad from the factory. I replaced all of them on the motorhome with Home Depot replacements. Fixed the problem. You should be able to hear them work, and they should not open unless you really are creating a big vacuum. Bet they are weak.

radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:58 PM   #40

Correct, only dump the black tank when it's near full or you're pulling out for a while. Gray water will also give you a sewer - like smell. It may be that the black tank had been previously used. When you turned on the fan, it made the situation worse.

phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo