Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou
I have a 2008 GMC Sierra Crew Cab with the 6'6" SB. I pull the 8526RLWS 5th wheel and use the Slide-rite automatic hitch. I love it. As I am new to pulling a 5th wheel (TT's only before), and am as hamfisted as they come (getting better), I have found the automatic a god send.

Its failsafe, fool proof, full automatic, just like I like all machines.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 AM   #12
Originally Posted by wakamicamper View Post
Do I need a sliding hitch on a 6'6" box? I am considering a Rockwood 8280SS 5th wheel. It has an extended pin box and the dealer has told me that I can do a 90 degree turn without a slider hitch. Can this be verified?

I have a 2010 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab long box on order. The wife wants a short box to fit into the garage, the long box is 1' longer than the garage.

Any comments and advice would be greatly appreciated. I live in Canada, and the difference in price between the long and short box is only $5.00 so money is not an issue.

Thanks in advance

I have a very similar setup as you, Rockwood 8281SS 5th wheel and a '07 Silverado 2500HD CC short box diesel. I too was concerned when purchasing our trailer whether or not to get the slider. I read enough posts to convince me that its best to have a slider just for the peace of mind. With that being said, and having traveled with our setup for an entire season, the only time I needed the slider was to back the trailer into my in-laws driveway who live at the very end of a dead-end street (its tight and I try not to smash his lawn up or drive over the curbs). As far as the movement, you can get almost 90 deg without the slider, but can go greater than 90 deg with one (your dealer is stretching the truth a bit here). I believe that most situations would not require you to have a slider, but its nice to have that peace of mind. If I had to do it over again, I would still purchase one.

One point I read that made a lot of sense too is that you may only ever need you slider a few times (or possibly never), so it doesn't make economical sense to fork over the extra cash for the more expensive auto sliders that are out there. Save some money and opt for the manual. It only takes 10 seconds to get out of the truck and throw the lever and climb back in.

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:05 PM   #13
We ordered ours with a sidewinder. Works great and is auto as well.

swayze is offline   Reply With Quote