Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #21

How hard was it to do the mod to the night tables beside the bed. Its a good use of wasted space.

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRV'er View Post
How hard was it to do the mod to the night tables beside the bed. Its a good use of wasted space.
not really hard at all. just take you time taking the side panel off so you don't destroy it. you need a good table saw or radial arm saw to cut the top nice and cleanly. the rest was just easy carpentry work.
skidoonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #23
Newoldbie

Finally Pictures - Third Times a Charm

Ok, third camping trip actually brought the camera...Wife and I spent two days at Watkins Mill State Park in Excelsior Springs, MO kind of a Fathers Day/35th Anniversary weekend. I hope the pics show up correctly....
Hooray, they showed up WOO HOO!! We had fun, it was last weekend the 16th - 18th. Had to show the bacon shot, I love breakfast at the campout, this one was Bacon, Eggs, Hashbrowns, OJ, & Biscuits cooked in the camper oven...yummy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Leftside Watkins Mill 061711.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	6471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right Side Watkins Mill 061711.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	6472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Breakfast 061711.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	6473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Watkins Mill 061711.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	6474  
12Kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #24
HogHead

Regarding a bike rack...I purchased a couple of L shaped bike rack bars out of aluminium that bolt to the rear ladder of the trailer. The bikes are heavy and they hang great. Kids bikes go in the suburban.
Bauerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:43 PM   #25

Modifications

I really like your modifications. Very well done. The nightstands look just like the ones in the 2604 that we have on order. I was wondering how to make use of that wasted space. Can you describe in more detail how you removed and hinged the tops?

Thanks, Jack
jacksum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:17 PM   #26

remove your mattress and gentally pry off the side panels on each side(left and right). now look inside with a flashlight and you will see the screws going straight up hold the top on. remove all the screws and the top should be free. i then cut the counter top with a table saw 3" from the back. attach a piano hinge between the two cut halves. i finished the interior of the space with panelling prior to reinstalling the top. screw the rear 3" section only at the rear. i also installed a support to hold the top open when open. . i can take more pictures if need be but i do not have any while i was doing this.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:23 PM   #27

Not sure what you mean about "pry off the side panels". Other than that I think I understand.

Jack
jacksum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #28

I have been looking at the nightstands since we bought the thing wondering how I could make use of the wasted space - Thanks for the info. Like Jacksum I am curious how to remove the side panel without damaging it and how to reattach it.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #29

You can also pop the cover plate off the outlet, loosen the two wing-screws that hold the outlet in place, then reach your am in with a stubby screwdriver to loosen/remove the top.

This "nightstand" design is very common on the Rockwood's. I have the same wasted space on my 2607, except that I used it to run additional wiring. Each nightstand now has a 12v. cigarette lighter-type outlet for charging cell phones, etc. Plus the one on my side of the bed has all the wiring and controls for the rooftop solar panels and the 2000W, 120v inverter. The one on the wife's side of the bed will have the controls for the 12v, 36" ceiling pan that I just picked-up.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:55 PM   #30

Great mods! Thanks for sharing. Now I have work to do
Steve38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:15 PM   #31

it is only held on with small air nails. use a small pry bar or larger screw driver and work it off slowly. i have popped off many panels on my trailer with no damage. i just use my air nailer to put them back on afterwords and you can never tell i had them off. good luck. yes you can get in through the electrical outlet but it would be a royal pain reaching in through such a small hole and not being able to see the screws that you need to remove. the side pops off too easy not to go that way.

Tags
2701ss