Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

Side Kick Grill Heat

We are finally getting the 5er ready to use again (it's been a long winter). One thing that has kind of been on my list is the grill that came with the unit. It seems to work ok when it is first lit. The more it is used the less heat it seems to put out. Have others noticed this? Does it really help changing the grill or is it due to the regulated pressure from the bottles on the trailer. I remember seeing a thread that someone converted a Coleman grill to plug into the trailer propane, does this improve the heat output or should one just use the bottles?
Old 03-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #2

IMHO. The bottles lose pressure and so goes some of the heat. I have plans for full conversion of accessories... eventually. I never have bought the fittings to do so, but they are available. Be careful of the hoses you get. I think they are supposed to be approved for LPG and DOT use. LPG places may build or sell them.
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply Iwannacamp.

I think I was unclear in my statement. The Sidekick does not seem to have a very high BTU capacity compared to small portable grills that use the 1 lb bottles I have used in the past.

Is it the Sidekick grill or is it the regulated 30 lb bottles that cause the less than stellar heat?
Old 03-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

RVQs and Sidekicks are low-pressure grills. That being said, I have found that my RVQ is hotter than my Sidekick (based on the time it takes to accidentally burn something).
As with most questions of this nature, the truth can be had by measuring. A thermometer will tell you if your intuition is correct.

As for any mods to the system, it is my recall that the quick disconnect on the grill's gas line is not rated for any application other than low pressure. This coincides with what Iwannacamp has stated.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #5

Thanks for the reply awellis3.

You kind of answered my question considering the heat difference between the RVQ and the Sidekick. I don't really have any intention of modifying the hose.

What I am questioning is if I change the grill to say a Coleman Roadtrip or Weber Q am I going to see a hotter cooking surface. It seems that the longer the Sidekick is in use the harder it is to keep the temps up. I know using the Sidekick vs. a cheap Walmart grill similar to the sidekick on a green bottle the Sidekick does not carry the heat as well. Is this due to the low pressure from the hose or not a very good grill. If changing the grill will give me the hotter grill surface that would be great.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #6
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
What I am questioning is if I change the grill to say a Coleman Roadtrip or Weber Q am I going to see a hotter cooking surface.
Yes, but they are high-pressure grills and cannot be connected to your trailer's existing gas line.

Teach
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #7

I have a Weber Q for my home & camping grill and can run it on either a small screw on propane bottle or on a 20 lb tank with an optional connecting hose.
Works fine on either.
BruceM is offline   Reply With Quote