Old 11-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #1

Question Sidewall Construction

I have an 07 8314SS and I need to cut a hole in the side to add some connections for the A/V system. Does anybody know where I can find a layout of the sidewall construction so I don't hit the frame? I've tried a stud finder but the results are kind of inconsistent.

Prodigy Controller

dlturner00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

From the Forest River website, Rockwood "Features" listing: "Laminated Filon Fiberglass Sidewalls". This means there aren't any studs in the wall, they are solid plywood with a fiberglass outside. As for hitting the frame, you won't drilling through the walls. When I drilled through the walls on my "Work and Play", which has the same construction, I drilled a very small hole from inside out first, then went outside and drilled back in. This keeps the outer fiberglass layer from cracking and leaking. Still be careful and use a sharp drill bit and light pressure until you get through the fiberglass. You can verify construction on any trailer by looking at the wall thickness at a window, if it's less than 2 inches, it's laminated without studs. If the wall is 2 inches or so, probably has studs. Good luck.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I believe that there is an aluminum frame in Rockwoods, as is in my Surveyor. Sometimes on a cool damp morning, you can see where the frame is......the frame area will be dry, and the non-framed area will be wet. For the most part, the frame runs down each window opening from top to bottom, with an occasional vertical frame if there is no window in an area. Horizontal frame components will be at the top of doors, and the tops and bottoms of windows and other large openings.

You can see what a typical Surveyor frame looks like at: http://www.forestriverinc.com/nd/ult...difference.pdf

I can't think the Rockwoods would be much different.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:56 AM   #4

Yes, I know it does have an aluminum frame. That is what the sales brochure says. I'm looking at the area under the water heater. I have access to the inside wall through a cabinet and that is where the wires are fished under the floor and come out. I would guess this opening would be framed just like a window or door.
Prodigy Controller

Old 11-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #5

The Rockwood sidewall framing is quite different than the Surveyor.

See my post on adding a window to our Rockwood.

http://rocky06fs.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~981.asp

The windows and compartment doors are not framed in in the Rockwoods. The only vertical framing is at either side of the doors, at the front and rear of the slideout opening, and at the front and rear of the walls.

As the previous poster said, make your hole from the inside first, drill small marker holes through to the outside, then cut the hole on the outside.

John U
Old 11-24-2009, 08:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post
The Rockwood sidewall framing is quite different than the Surveyor.

See my post on adding a window to our Rockwood.

http://rocky06fs.forumco.com/topic~TOPIC_ID~981.asp

The windows and compartment doors are not framed in in the Rockwoods. The only vertical framing is at either side of the doors, at the front and rear of the slideout opening, and at the front and rear of the walls.

As the previous poster said, make your hole from the inside first, drill small marker holes through to the outside, then cut the hole on the outside.

John U
I spoke to a dealer yesterday and he confirmed what you said. He said it's almost impossible to hit a vertical member, except for next to the doors.

Prodigy Controller

Tags
rockwood