Old 10-04-2011, 12:24 PM   #11

Good Luck and hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours. 2008 8285

Old 10-04-2011, 01:11 PM   #12

The Flagstaff 8528CKWS, or equivalent Rockwood, is the one to get if you might be spending more time inside, as you indicated. The rear living room layout is the best.
You might also check out the Crusader rear living room model, but it is a bit heavier and the basement is much smaller. But the living room layout is nice.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Just returned from a 6008 mile trip----

We just returned from a 6008 mile trip from Florida to Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia Canada. It was a great trip. I have just sent Forest River/ Rockwood a thank you E-Mail for building a fine, lite weight fifth wheel. After the bugs were ironed out after the first couple shake down trips, we have no complaints about our Rockwood 8285WS.
We love ours, for it has performed better than expected.

There are a lot of good RVs mentioned on this forum (and I mean many).
Read all you can, look at problems caused by owners and problems caused by who built it. Email owners of different models and floor plans by private email if necessary, pick their brains about any problems they may have had.

Flagstaff and Rockwood fifth wheels come off the same assembly line, out the same door. They have the same spec's, but just different colors inside
and graphics outside. All else is the same.

You will be investing a lot of money in your RV, take your time about your decision, I like to read about happy people and their RV on this forum. To be honest, I even like to read about some of the problems too.

TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2017 66 DAYS
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Anyone know the GVW on the Flagstaff 8528CKWS?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #15

Herk, the 8528CKWS is about 9600 GVWR, about 200 pounds heavier than mine, and 1600 pounds on the hitch, also almost 200 more than me. That is probably due to the bedroom wardrobe slide in the CKWS, which I don't have.
All things considered, these Flagstaff/Rockwood lightweights are definitely top notch for quality and value for the dollar spent. The Prime Time campers are more money, and like I said before, have a much smaller basement, which is a huge deal when you think about it.
If I was to do it over, I would buy the exact same camper we have. I spent a lot of time and looked at a lot of campers, and the fit and finish of the Flagstaff/Rockwood are second to none in their price range, and even better than some more expensive brands.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
Herk, the 8528CKWS is about 9600 GVWR, about 200 pounds heavier than mine, and 1600 pounds on the hitch, also almost 200 more than me. That is probably due to the bedroom wardrobe slide in the CKWS, which I don't have.
All things considered, these Flagstaff/Rockwood lightweights are definitely top notch for quality and value for the dollar spent. The Prime Time campers are more money, and like I said before, have a much smaller basement, which is a huge deal when you think about it.
If I was to do it over, I would buy the exact same camper we have. I spent a lot of time and looked at a lot of campers, and the fit and finish of the Flagstaff/Rockwood are second to none in their price range, and even better than some more expensive brands.

Agree 100%.. Value for dollar, my Flagstaff 8528 beat others hands down. I have not had any warranty issues since I purchased this unit and I cannot comment on customer service. I would say that's a good thing. I have heard many other posters exalting the great customer service of their respective manufacturer. ( Can't mention them on the grounds of incrimination) Customer service is good, but not having to use it is better.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Thanks guys. I like that TT a lot. If I had it to do over again, I might be pulling a TT instead of my 5th wheel.

They did not have a floorplan like that in anything in my weight range when I was looking. (Except the Flagstaff I bought)

Can you access the kitchen with the slides closed? Being able to access the bath and kitchen was a "must have" when we were shopping.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:07 PM   #18

i have had a lot of problems with my 2011 Rockwood 8281ss so far the warranty has covered everything, i just pray all of the bug are out of it
when i picked it up the last time from the dealer i had water on my kitchen table and the air conditioner was above it so i started poking around and found the 2 screws that hold the thing to the roof were loose and the water was coming in under the seal ( a poor set up if you ask me )

dan

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Thanks guys. I like that TT a lot. If I had it to do over again, I might be pulling a TT instead of my 5th wheel.

They did not have a floorplan like that in anything in my weight range when I was looking. (Except the Flagstaff I bought)

Can you access the kitchen with the slides closed? Being able to access the bath and kitchen was a "must have" when we were shopping.

If you're referring to the 8528 ckws, mine is a fifth wheel, not a TT. You cannot access the kitchen with slides in. Nor can you access the bedroom. I don't see this as an issue, since anytime I need access to those areas, I simply push a button. The bathroom is accessible with all slides in, the most important part because that would be the area I would need quickest access to.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #20

I guess that is the only real difference between Rugged Brown's fifth and ours, as they reversed the kitchen layout and added the wardrobe slide. We have full access to the kitchen and bedroom with the slides in. That is a definite plus if one was inclined to take a nap at a rest stop on a long trip, as you can't push the slides out. And it was just one more consideration that we looked at before buying.
And some of the rear kitchen models are even worse as the slide covers the fridge door. Whoever designed those should have their heads examined!