Old 10-05-2011, 03:08 AM   #21

Alagezzer,
I do suggest to ask about Thermopane windows and slide toppers. Thermo windows is a new option that is being offered by Rockwood. My recent order cost only $650 for the windows. Also, slide toppers help in keeping the heat off the slideouts based on comments by other owners. We also upgraded the a/c to 15K. If you spend an extended time during the day in your unit you will be glad to have improved cooling. Tips from my research on this forum, not actual experience as yet.

Jim

Rockwood Windjammer 3002W (11/10/2011)
2011 Sierra Denali HD - Duramax/Allison
EQ-4, 14,000/1,400
2006 Yukon Denali
Rebel702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #22

Thanks for the additional comments folks. We are looking at a unit on the lot. It has most of the options available except the thermo windows and dinette. It'll be about a month before we pull the trigger, and if that unit sells before we're ready, then we'll order one.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #23

We purchased a new Rockwood 8280WS six weeks ago and except for some minor Al-Ko axle problems this is one of the best campers we have owned. You would think that a trailer this light weight would be cheaply built, but the truth is I fine this Forest River product to be very well thought out. The craftmenship is good and we hope to have many years of service out of it. Good luck on finding what you want.
Tom-s
Old 11-10-2011, 10:45 PM   #24

Ultra-Lite?

We are going to buy an Ultra lite TT. We are looking at the XLITE Cougar and any others that we can get info on. We need help on the Signature Series Ultra-lite 8317 RKSS, can anyone give us some in put?

Thank you.
Scott
Old 11-11-2011, 09:22 AM   #25

Take your time, do your homework, and know for sure what type of camping you are going to do now and how it might change in the future. Take into account what your tow vehicle is capable of and do not let some sales person tell you anything different from what your mfg. specs. say. We have had 7 RV's over a 16 year period and we are still learning things. As to the Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite we now have, it is a very good product for us. Our son purchased a new Rockwood TT in 2004 and has had good service from it. Good luck on your search, Tom-s
Old 11-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
Thanks for the additional comments folks. We are looking at a unit on the lot. It has most of the options available except the thermo windows and dinette. It'll be about a month before we pull the trigger, and if that unit sells before we're ready, then we'll order one.
We are planning on ordering the same model early 2012. We're ok waiting the 7-8 weeks for the build, to get exactly what we want, as this will probably "the" rv for the next 10 years.

We are definitely going to order the slide toppers, to help keep the debris off the top of the slide. I am concerned about the thermopane window seals breaking over time and the windows fogging (just like at home). Since we really won't do a lot of cold weather camping, I don't believe we will be ordering this option. But I'm open to be convinced otherwise.

Happy Veterans Day to all who are serving or have served in the military. Thank you for your service.
Old 11-12-2011, 09:54 AM   #27

Line-Loc,
I have an 08 83177SS, no outside kitchen. This unit has been great. Has a butt load of storage areas. We have really enjoyed it.
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-s View Post
Take your time, do your homework, and know for sure what type of camping you are going to do now and how it might change in the future. Take into account what your tow vehicle is capable of and do not let some sales person tell you anything different from what your mfg. specs. say. We have had 7 RV's over a 16 year period and we are still learning things. As to the Rockwood Signature Ultra-Lite we now have, it is a very good product for us. Our son purchased a new Rockwood TT in 2004 and has had good service from it. Good luck on your search, Tom-s
We have a 2006 1/2 ton GM 4X4 truck, GM mfg specs book says it can tow 7500. The sale guys are telling us to stay about 1000 less than 7500, does that sound right to you?

The Signature Ultra Lite that we are looking at has a sticker that says it weighs 6594. How does that weight match up with our truck in "your" opinion?

Thanks to all that reply.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #29

to; LINELOC

The advertised weight of our unit from Rockwood was a little under 7000#. On the side of our RV is a weight sticker showing the actual weight of 7365#. Our truck is a 1/2 ton with a cargo package showing it to be able to tow 9500#. I use the figure of 1000# of personel stuff we load into our RV. This gives me a safety cushion of a little over 1000#. The sales person is giving you fairly good advice. Using the stated towing cap. of your truck, subtract whatever you extimate your personel stuff you will load into the camper you will be towing and subtract another 500# for what your actual RV will weigh and that should give you a pretty good maximum weight to shop for in a new RV. This formula has worked for me for 16 years of selecting a tow vehicle and an RV. Remember this is for level towing at lower elevations. If you are going to the mountains, you will loose towing cap. unless your engine is turbo or supercharged. The higher you go the thinner the air your engine has to use. Remember this is only my opinion and there may be others that are just a valid. Good luck, Tom-s
Old 11-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #30

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Look into adding the 'Diamond Package' to your camper when ordering ...nice options included in this package...MSRP-$2800 but you can get it for $1850 if you push them when ordering ! Check the Forest River web site under Flagstaff/Rockwood ultralights, then click Options, It shows whats included in that "Diamond Package"

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote