Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #1

Sirius antenna ripped roof

I just thought that I would post a couple of photos of my slide roof where they installed the antenna on my #8289WS. They have a metal plate that holds the antenna in place then cover it with the roof. It creates a bump and when the unit go's in and out it rubs on the seal. I did not notice it because of the slide covers. It something that people should keep an eye on. I'm sure if I didn't have slide toppers I would have had a pretty bad leak. So a heads up if your unit came with the factory installed Sirius radio.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #2

Glen,that is just backwards from our XM/Sir ant install. Our plate is on Top of the Rubber roof. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0207.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	43106Top view of our roof,plate is forward of the center roof vent. Youroo!!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Glen,that is just backwards from our XM/Sir ant install. Our plate is on Top of the Rubber roof. Youroo!!
I think it's a bad install, when I contacted the dealer he said that is how they install them on the slide. I put some roofing materials back over but I changed the direction to go with the movement then against it. All they did was poke the wire straight up through the roof and attached it to a metal plate but did not cover the plate. So I covered the plate to. I never new it was up there until someone told me where they where located on this model. So I climbed up on a ladder an I would be damned that it is located under the roofing material. So everytime I open and close that slide it has to go under the top seal. Now this is really dumb. I have to take the unit in for some service work in January so I'll have them look at my repair. I sent the same pictures to FR and my dealer and that is what they told me to do or they would do it. I said send me 4' of the material and I will do it myself. You are right it should have been installed like you pointed out. Is your antenna under the roof material? or just out on the plate? Now the pictures are gone that where posted.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
MINE IS ON The---------------

Mine is on the main roof right next to the TV antenna, fact of it is mounted above the bathroom ceiling light.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #6

I'll try and repost the pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sirius rip in roof 003.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	43107  

Old 11-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
Mine is on the main roof right next to the TV antenna, fact of it is mounted above the bathroom ceiling light.
Sid< is yours under the roof material or just attached to the metal plate? being installed on the slide it has to be under the roof material.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #8

Glenn,everything is on top of the roof, metal plate then the Magnetic ant.I can lift my ant.up off the plate. Your slide install seems very Odd,where and how they did it? Youroo!!
Old 11-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

That has got to be the dumbest place to install that antenna, EVER. The slide seal will eventually grab that antenna and rip the roof (especially in cold weather when the seal is stiff).

FR needs to own up to that repair regardless of warranty, IMO.

If it HAD to be on the slide, perhaps a bracket at the top of the wall (clear of the topper) would have been better.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
That has got to be the dumbest place to install that antenna, EVER. The slide seal will eventually grab that antenna and rip the roof (especially in cold weather when the seal is stiff).

If it HAD to be on the slide, perhaps a bracket at the top of the wall (clear of the topper) would have been better.
I just got off the phone with the dealer, FR said that because the antenna wire is 12' it has to go on top of the slide, because my entertainment center is in the slide. I installed the esterbond going north to south in stead of the east to west sideways that they had it. I moved the antenna to the center of that 12x12 metal and put the tape from the edge of the slide to about 8" past the antenna, hoping that the sweep will be on top of the tape past the edges before it gets to the antenna under it. They told me to keep an eye on it. Atleast I'm on record with it now, but how stupid is that? My dealer will look at it next time I take it in. I did mention the bracket, he said that might work but it would have to face up. So he said we look at it then. Thanks for the info from everyone.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #11

I just purchased a Windjammer that came from the factory with the sirus radio docking station. I have a docking station in my truck where the radio fits. My radio will not fit the docking station in the TT. Any suggestions ? The dealer was very familiar with the units and all its equipment, and nothing is mentioned in the owners manual. The hookups are the same on both units.
thanks in advance Chuck in Va.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #12

It should be for a Sirus XM radio, Which do you have in your truck? Why won't it fit? Also if your unit came with the docking station they should have given you the radio package also, I got 1 in the box at delv. Chuck, I know you probably no this but you press in on the center to make the cradle pop out then it slides in, took me a good hr to figure that out. I did not get any instructions on the docking station just the XM. It's kinda like the old cassette tape loader. Best way I can describe it.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

They did just like you said they installed a 90 degree bracket on the slide wall above the porch light and installed it there and then repaired my roof. ........Thanks for the idea and the help I should have made them replace the whole roof, but they said no they couldn't do that....

Old 12-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #14

It took a few minutes , but it did flip out however my radio did not fit the docking station, it takes a slimmer version. Did a radio come with your tt ? I have looked everywhere and I don't have one, like I stated earlier the dealership was very thorough regarding the operation of the slides, heat/ac etc. but had no information about the radio. Do I need to contact Forest river ? I enjoy my radio and would like to have it operational in the tt. Thanks for the response. Chuck in Va
Old 12-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
It took a few minutes , but it did flip out however my radio did not fit the docking station, it takes a slimmer version. Did a radio come with your tt ? I have looked everywhere and I don't have one, like I stated earlier the dealership was very thorough regarding the operation of the slides, heat/ac etc. but had no information about the radio. Do I need to contact Forest river ? I enjoy my radio and would like to have it operational in the tt. Thanks for the response. Chuck in Va
If your unit came with the docking station you should have got a kit with the radio in it. I would contact your dealer and ask him where they stored it. That is an option that came with your unit, like I said it takes the XM one, the other ones will not fit. It makes no sense to me that they would install the docking station and install the antenna and not get the radio. Where is your antenna located? you should see it somewhere maybe on the roof. Should be mounted on a plate screwed down somewhere it a little black magnet maybe 21/2" x 2" mine was in a drawer in the galley with a whole set up to use it also in my car if I wanted to.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:20 AM   #16

For what it is worth, I mounted my antenna on the inside the roof of my motorhome. As long as there is no metal frame above the antenna just roof material it works fine.
Newellri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #17

I contacted the dealer today, and explained that I did not get a radio, they told me to stop by on Monday and they would give me one from another unit .Hopefully that will work out. They said it should have been located in a box in the TT, but I never found it. I would guess all I would need to do is activate it and I should be good to go. I guess I need to be aware of where the antenna is mounted , I will take a look on the roof. I just purchased the unit a few weeks ago and really have not had time to play with it and check things out. This forum has been a ton of help and has answered all my questions (which I am sure I will have many many more ). Thanks again, now I just need to get some spring weather to use it. Chuck in Va
Old 12-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
I contacted the dealer today, and explained that I did not get a radio, they told me to stop by on Monday and they would give me one from another unit .Hopefully that will work out. They said it should have been located in a box in the TT, but I never found it. I would guess all I would need to do is activate it and I should be good to go. I guess I need to be aware of where the antenna is mounted , I will take a look on the roof. I just purchased the unit a few weeks ago and really have not had time to play with it and check things out. This forum has been a ton of help and has answered all my questions (which I am sure I will have many many more ). Thanks again, now I just need to get some spring weather to use it. Chuck in Va
All you will have to do is call and activate it as you said, Glad I was able to help you out Safe Travels to you and HAPPY NEW YEAR......... Hope one of your trips will be down here on buggs Island lake. If you have any questions on any CG shoot me a PM, I know them all being I live here on the lake.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #19
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
ditto
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, roo, roof