Old 03-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #11

Looks like Im in the same boat. I noticed the condensation last year in September in our 2013 Rockwood 5th wheel. I took it into the dealer and they "repaired" it. I noticed at the end of the season last year, around October, that there was more condensation in the skylight but had already put the trailer away for the season. I took the inside part of the skylight off think that maybe some moisture had gotten trapped in the insulation and just needed to dry out. Boy am I glad I did that because I didnt get back in to put the inside part of the skylight back in and when I got my letter I went out to see if there were cracks.

There was snow on the roof so I couldn't see any cracks and didn't notice any water on the skylight. Well I went in yesterday after looking at the pictures of Barney1's trailer and it brought memories of what I had found. Luckily I think I had caught it early enough and had taken it in and because I had taken the inside light out the water didnt get into the wood and cause any damage. When I went in yesterday I noticed at least 10 or so small cracks and 1 pretty big crack all around the base of the sky light and quite a bit of water on the floor of the shower. I don't see any delamination of the plywood or and discoloration anywhere else so I think I was lucky I left the cover off and it just dripped into the shower.

I will be taking it into the deal tomorrow to have it fixed. Only problem now is that I lost the letter so I hope it won't be a problem.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #12

So today was mild enough to be poking around in the trailer without the risk of breaking plastic parts. I already knew there was at least one crack in my skylight. I took down the interior flashing and inner pane. There was a small amount of water in the trim which fell to the shower floor.

I took several pictures but fortunately there is nothing significant to see. Definitely water coming in through the two cracks but I think the trailer slope caused the water to drip onto the inner pane, run across and fall into the trim lip till that overflowed onto the shower floor.

There was condensation on the inside of the skylight which I wiped away. All the wood above and below the foam core was dry. Looks like it will be just a simple replacement.

Still can't get on the roof so I left the pane and trim off and made small duct tape channels for any water that comes in to just run onto the shower floor.

In another week or two I'll have to get it in for repair. I'll post the outcome of that.

2012 Rockwood 2503S
fredm.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #13

I have noticed condensation on the inside of my skylight. I talked to the dealer and they said this is common, take the inner panel out and dry the out panel off. I have seen this happen with double pane windows that have an air leak. I know these are not air tight so on one hand it does make sense to have some condensation. I don't remember this ever happening on my old rv but it did not have an inner panel.

What do you think?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #14

Nothing beats looking.

The inner trim on mine is one piece including the inner pane. The pane is mounted to the trim with adhesive tape. So there is no seal at all between the inner pane and dome. The pane just butts against the inside of the roof or ceiling. Nothing at all like a double pane window. One screw had no bite. They go through a very thin sheet of wood and most of the thread is in contact with styrofoam. So if you take the trim off go easy putting it back.

Anyway once the inner trim is removed you can easily see the dome right down to where it mounts on the roof. Cracks will be very easy to see (I have two) and you can check the wood to see if its dry or not (mines dry).

Personally I'm a bit concerned about this. Because there is no seal I agree that there will often be condensation. So you can take the trim down and dry it up sure, but after a few times I'm worried the screws will not have any bite. If you just leave the condensation it's eventually going to go somewhere. I'm wondering if there "should" be some seal between the inner pane and roof. Maybe I'm just overthinking it?

2012 Rockwood 2503S
fredm.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #15

If it is not a sealed unit I would not think it would form condensation. I never noticed any condensation with my other rv. It did not have the inner panel, if this proves to be a problem I think I will remove the innver panel.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #16

I drop my 8312ss 2012 rockwood off 4 weeks ago to get the skylite replace and they called two weeks later to tell me that they have to remove the whole roof to replace all the plywood around the skylite do to rote and they are going to replace the bathroom ceiling do to water damage to it too .So anybody that has this type of skylite recall don't wait anytime taking it in to get repaired.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #17

Looks like we are all having same problem.Had my surveyor 305 dome replaced in june 2012.was ok went put into storage in nov.just looked at it friday and dome is cracked all the way around on flange,had to seal over cracks for now.dealer had called a week earler and told me he was reordering parts for recall,wounder if this is going to be a yearly problem form snow sitting on it over winter??
Old 04-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #18

I was really hoping this was an April Fools joke....... ugh
Old 04-02-2013, 05:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
I have noticed condensation on the inside of my skylight. I talked to the dealer and they said this is common, take the inner panel out and dry the out panel off. I have seen this happen with double pane windows that have an air leak. I know these are not air tight so on one hand it does make sense to have some condensation. I don't remember this ever happening on my old rv but it did not have an inner panel.

What do you think?
If you have condensation, you most likely have a leak, I would document everything, e-mail forest river your vin#. They will let you know if it is in the recall. Keep an eye on it!
rcnhoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #20

The sad thing about this is the dealer told me that Forrest River gives a 90 day warrantly for leaks. This falls under maintenance. My motorhome was 17 years old when we sold it and I never had even an inkling of a problem with it. I inspected the seal around the skylight and the dome itself, all look good. There was no evidence of moisture on the wood or insulation other than what was pushed onto them when I dried off the dome.

The service manager commented that if there is heat and use in the cold months it is naturally going to condensate. I don't buy this either but I live in a dry climate. What are your thoughts.