Old 02-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #1

Sky light recall

I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago. I got a certified letter a couple of weeks ago from Forrest River stating that there was a problem with the primer for the adhesive used to install skylights on some models. There was nothing specific about years or models. It gave the instructions to look at the skylight outside and if you can see spider web type cracking along the edge it needs to be dealt with. I received the letter while my unit was still in Indiana. I talked to the dealer to have them check it before I picked it up and they had not even been notified of the problem yet. Mine had to be replaced. The shop foreman at the dealer was a little miffed, he had been prepping and sending new units out and now he is going to have to have the customer bring them back. Most of the rigs that he had checked on his lot needed to be repaired as well.

I see alot of people are purchasing new units so here is some information that might be helpful before you take your new purchase home.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #2

I just received my registered letter about the skylight recall last week.
My letter mentioned Rockwoods and Flagstaffs manufactured in late 2011 to early 2012. It detailed the same thing about primer for the adhesive used to install skylight and checking for spider cracks on the skylight.

In our case our unit was built in Sept 2011 and we had caught evidence of a leaking skylight in early 2012 and had it repaired in June 2012.
My first clue that there was an issue was condensation between the panes of plastic in the skylight and the rusting staples on the ceiling trim. (see the attached images)

The repair consisted of an entire new roof structure and membrane, new 'front' wall (opposite end of the skylight they; it may have damaged it during the repair), new floor structure, new vinyl floor.

I call Roger Beiler at FR and he check the records for my unit and said because I had my skylight repaired in June 2012 that I was good to go. He hinted that my unit may have have been one of the ones that was used as evidence in the decision to issue the recall in the first place.

I half only praises for FF Warranty Support!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone 3.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	24732   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone 5.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	24733   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone 7.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	24734   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone 11.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	24735   Click image for larger version

Name:	iPhone 12.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	24736  

2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
2011 Ram 1500 Big Horn V8 Hemi
Previous Trailer -> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

I got the same letter about two weeks ago and only managed to get to the trailer yesterday. Its in storage and required some digging through the snow to get inside. Looking up I could see one hairline crack. No way to look at it from the roof yet. In any case it will have to be replaced.

Barney1 I thought about taking down the inside trim like I see in your photos. Does all that remove easily? Was anything from the inside glued? My concern is that if the skylight is just replaced it could be a long time before I might find out there was other serious damage. I'd really like to have a look myself. Especially since I would not be able to get it to a shop for another month. If its starting to look like yours I'd hire someone to plow it out sooner.

Great pictures - kinda scary, but at least I now know that this needs some serious attention. Thanks for the heads up.

2012 Rockwood 2503S
fredm.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
I meant to post this a couple of weeks ago. I got a certified letter a couple of weeks ago from Forrest River stating that there was a problem with the primer for the adhesive used to install skylights on some models. There was nothing specific about years or models. It gave the instructions to look at the skylight outside and if you can see spider web type cracking along the edge it needs to be dealt with. I received the letter while my unit was still in Indiana. I talked to the dealer to have them check it before I picked it up and they had not even been notified of the problem yet. Mine had to be replaced. The shop foreman at the dealer was a little miffed, he had been prepping and sending new units out and now he is going to have to have the customer bring them back. Most of the rigs that he had checked on his lot needed to be repaired as well.

I see alot of people are purchasing new units so here is some information that might be helpful before you take your new purchase home.
Thanks for the heads up. I'll be a roof monkey when mine arrives, although going on the production line 1 March I would certainly hope it would not have the problem.

But as they say, Buyer Beware!

RodeoGeorge
Old 02-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #5

@ fredm.seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredm.seven View Post
Barney1 I thought about taking down the inside trim like I see in your photos. Does all that remove easily?
Yes it was very easy to take down. The inside 'trim' includes the inner plastic pane of the skylight. The is no seal at all.

Quote:
Was anything from the inside glued?
No glue only about 8 or 10 screws through the trim to the ceiling plywood layer.

Quote:
Great pictures - kinda scary, but at least I now know that this needs some serious attention. Thanks for the heads up.
Yes very scary for me when I first found this and I had no idea of a recall.

2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 02-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #6

im just wondering if this recall carries through the entire forest river suite ... as i have a 2011 Aframe with the bubble window in the back. I have fixed the issue .. but it would be nice to know if the recall is for all FR products .. or just your model of TT.

thanks .. d-mo
Old 02-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #7

RodeoGeorge, I would hope that they would take a look at this at the factory but I would definitely make sure the dealer checks that when you do the walk through when you pick up your new rig.

As I stated the service manager was a little miffed that they were not even included in receiving information about this before the public was notified. He had sent several units out that week that will be coming back in for repairs.

No big deal, easy repair as long as it doesn't get to the point Barney1 had to deal with.

Jim
Old 02-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-mo View Post
im just wondering if this recall carries through the entire forest river suite ... as i have a 2011 Aframe with the bubble window in the back. I have fixed the issue .. but it would be nice to know if the recall is for all FR products .. or just your model of TT.

thanks .. d-mo
I do not know how far it carries my letter explicitly states "Rockwood and Flagstaff" but the OP says their letter did not indicate a brand.

I would suggest calling your dealer or FR.

2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
Old 02-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #9

I had mine replaced on my Cardinal 3030 as it had developed a crack. It was replaced under warranty.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #10

I had mine replaced on my 8289WS. I got the letter, called the service department and was told to take pictures. Took about a week to get a ok to bring it in. It took 3 days for them to replace. It was replaced under warranty.