Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #1

Sky-light sweating?

In our 8280WS we have a sky-light in the shower, which we like well enough, but I've noticed a lot of water drops on the inside between the outer and inner parts. I suspect the damp air is getting in there and condensing on the cooler outer part. It then drips into the shower. I took the inner part off and the dripping stopped but I don't what to leave it this way.

Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do to fix it? Should there be some sort of gasket on the inner part (there isn't on ours)?

cheers!
cachencouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:42 PM   #2

You have a double pane skylight? Hmmmm...
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

It sounds like a condensation issue. You need some fresh air and air movement. When we're camping in cold weather, we still run the bath exhaust fan when showering and leave the bath vent open always in addition to having a window cracked open. We usually also run the overhead fan for air movement and to help balance the temperature. You also need to open up the cabinets on the outside walls to prevent condensation in them too.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:56 PM   #4

Yes, I think you are correct, it is condensation... but living on the "Wet" Coast condensation is a fact of life!
I don't notice excess condensation on the windows or on the vents, just on this sky-light. I suspect the 'double window' design is part of the cause. All the other cold areas, windows, vents, etc, can dry off as the air circulates. But the air is sort of trapped in between the two halves of the sky-light.

I'm thinking some sort of seal around the inner half of the sky-light might help to keep the moist air out and stop the condensation. I'm not sure how good a seal it would have to be or what the implications would be when the air between the two sections heats up... maybe it would just blow out the seal and I'd be back a square one!? or worse!?
Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure how the inner half of the skylight is sealed or attached to the mounting flange, but I recall that the mounting flange is caulked to the ceiling. Is the caulking present and in good shape?

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:08 AM   #6

Thumbs up

Well, that's interesting...
No, there was absolutely nothing between the inner piece and the ceiling!!
I think you've hit on it!! I believe I see a trip to the dealer in my near future.

thank you soooo much
Old 02-01-2014, 02:47 AM   #7

The seal between the two must be there other wise it will collect moisture. We have the same sky light in our bathroom and have never had a problem with moisture....and we live on the wet coast also....lol.

2006 F350 6.0 with 3.73 gears, 4X4, Extra-Cab Long Box, Oil/Tranny/P.S. Coolers. Coolant filter. SCT Livewire.
2011 Cedar Creek 36RE, Auto levelers + too much to list..!
puff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Sky-light sweating?

Hello, there was an issue with FR when they fastened the skylights. The torqued the screws too much leaving hairline cracks on the edges. I would check this as both skylights were replaced on my 2703 TT after we took delivery. On the 8289 nothing has shown up as of yet.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Hello, there was an issue with FR when they fastened the skylights. The torqued the screws too much leaving hairline cracks on the edges. I would check this as both skylights were replaced on my 2703 TT after we took delivery. On the 8289 nothing has shown up as of yet.

Brian
Thanks for the reply. We got the notice of the recall and took the unit into the dealer to have a look. They said we did not have that particular problem, however, I did not think to ask them to look and see if there was a seal between the inner piece and the ceiling... I will ask them that soon!

Tags
light