Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #41

I never knew what a slide bar was until I purchased this TT. My Cherokee didn't have slide bars. I've been using only one at the front of the slide. I removed the warning sign from one of the bars and using a paper clip placed the sign over the slide switch. So whenever the bar is in place the sign is in place, but I remove it when we're at camp or it's in storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Warning sign.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	8321  

Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #42
Site Team - Lou

Sid,

Don't feel like the "Lone Ranger" here. There must be 5 or 6 members here like us who never move the camper without the slide locks in place!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #43
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
I never knew what a slide bar was until I purchased this TT. My Cherokee didn't have slide bars. I've been using only one at the front of the slide. I removed the warning sign from one of the bars and using a paper clip placed the sign over the slide switch. So whenever the bar is in place the sign is in place, but I remove it when we're at camp or it's in storage.
As you can see from my photo of the bar, my camper recommends (target square on wall) the bar be placed at the center of the slide.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 10-04-2011, 07:52 AM   #44

Hmmm...wonder why they gave me 2 when 1 would suffice? I'm not sure I'd be able to put one in the center. Definitely have to have a stool to stand on.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #45

lfugate: thanks for the tip on where you put the sign for the slide. I will remove it from the bar and will install it the same way as you. The other day when I was ready to open the slide my mind was somewhere else and I started to open the slide with the bar in and almost created a disaster. The transfer will be done this morning.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #46
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFugate View Post
Hmmm...wonder why they gave me 2 when 1 would suffice? I'm not sure I'd be able to put one in the center. Definitely have to have a stool to stand on.
I have two short main slides. One bar goes in the center of each.

Do you have one long slide? Perhaps one goes in each corner? Were there stickers on the wall where the support (stud) is located?

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 10-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I have two short main slides. One bar goes in the center of each.

Do you have one long slide? Perhaps one goes in each corner? Were there stickers on the wall where the support (stud) is located?
Yep, 1 long slide. No stickers anywhere.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
lfugate: thanks for the tip on where you put the sign for the slide. I will remove it from the bar and will install it the same way as you. The other day when I was ready to open the slide my mind was somewhere else and I started to open the slide with the bar in and almost created a disaster. The transfer will be done this morning.
That's exactly why I did that. Funny how fast it will wake you up when you start hearing the creaking and groaning
Old 10-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #49

As Sid pointed out, there is nothing holding the top of the slide in place when retracted. Even if the slide doesn't "come out" when travelling, it definitely does move. One would never notice when driving, say over a rough set of railway tracks, as who would be looking in their mirror at the side of the camper at that time. Even if you did, if the slide only came out an inch or so, you probably wouldn't notice. But just imagine the slide coming out that inch, then slamming back into the side of the camper. Repeat that a few thousand times, and one would start to get the idea.
Rugged Brown says that he doesn't have the slide bars or even the stickers on the wall to tell him where to place them, and that is odd as his camper is just the newer version of ours. I hope that isn't just yet another "cost-saving" move by the company.
As for those who complain about them falling out, you simply are not installing them correctly. We have never had one fall out, and the roads up here really suck!
Yes, they are a bit of a pain to use, but it becomes part of the routine, and is no big deal. For us, they are another thing that gives us peace of mind while towing, kindof like having tire pressure monitors.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 AM   #50

A lot of campers don't even have locking bars anymore. I got a 2012 cougar and I asked about them and was told that keystone haven't used them for the last few years.

Tags
rockwood