Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #1

Slide Locks- how important?

Just had conversation with our dealer & our soon-to-own 2013 Rockwood Mini 2503s. We've added factory installed slide toppers but didn't know about slide locks. They are not part of the standard features. Do we need them? Read a horror story about not having them here on the forum.
Thanks so much!

Dave & Maureen
mozeyrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mozeyrn View Post
Just had conversation with our dealer & our soon-to-own 2013 Rockwood Mini 2503s. We've added factory installed slide toppers but didn't know about slide locks. They are not part of the standard features. Do we need them? Read a horror story about not having them here on the forum.
Thanks so much!

Dave & Maureen
Here's my two cents
We've never had them and not had a reason to have them.

Congrats on making a deal!
Have fun.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The slide locks are usually installed before the camper leaves the factory and that's usually the last time that they're used. I'd worry more about the slide lock damaging the inside slide seal and the slide deploying in transit.

I've never used them on the TT or 5W that we've owned.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #4

We had them on our 2005 Rockwood and always used them. No damage to sidewall or slide seal. I always figured they gave them to you for a reason. Our new Wildcat does not have them.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
10x

I have had 2 trailers with slides, I never used them.
10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #6

I'm interested in this thread about slide locks. I have a 2503S and the slide confuses me a bit. (First RV with slide for me)

It's different from other slides I've seen (like brother's fifth wheel). The 2503S does not have any mechanical / manual means to extend or retract. Motor drive only. There are four toothed bars on the outside of the slide. Two upper, two lower.

When I asked the dealer during pick up inspection where's the crank - well there is none.

When I asked the dealer how I retract if no power there was a lot of "checking" by phone. He came back with
Remove a trim panel 2 screws.
Disconnect Motor Power Connector
Push Slide in by hand
Reconnect Motor Power Connector

Since there's no crank or fitting to crank I had to believe that's how it's done.

But I am concerned. If you can "push" it in what keeps it from just as easily moving out?

Anyone have a similar slide design? Have any thoughts about this? Ever tried to move it without power?

Answers might me scary, but will be aprreciated.

2012 Rockwood 2503S
fredm.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
phat phrog stunt crew

have never used them. so far so good.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Graduate Member

We found out what they were after about 6 months and 5,000 miles. Now I can't decide if it's worth the risk that I (or DW) will forget them and try to move the slides out.

If you do decide to use them, one suggestion on a previous thread was to tie red ribbons to each to serve as a visible reminder that they are installed.

good luck!
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #9

Sounds like the nays have it. If electrical, the rack and pinnion gears keep in place, hydraulic pistons the system pressure keeps them in. If you lose hydraulics you got bigger problems than with self deployed slides, like self deployed jacks!
If gears/cables fail in slides you won't be able to put them out anyway. Travel forces don't lend lots of sideways motions to slides anyway. I always monitor with mirrors anyway.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #10

My dealer recommended against them too - I read that horror story and it freaked me out too but dealer says during delivery walkaround, fuhhgeddaboutit!
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredm.seven View Post
I'm interested in this thread about slide locks. I have a 2503S and the slide confuses me a bit. (First RV with slide for me)

It's different from other slides I've seen (like brother's fifth wheel). The 2503S does not have any mechanical / manual means to extend or retract. Motor drive only. There are four toothed bars on the outside of the slide. Two upper, two lower.

When I asked the dealer during pick up inspection where's the crank - well there is none.

When I asked the dealer how I retract if no power there was a lot of "checking" by phone. He came back with
Remove a trim panel 2 screws.
Disconnect Motor Power Connector
Push Slide in by hand
Reconnect Motor Power Connector

Since there's no crank or fitting to crank I had to believe that's how it's done.

But I am concerned. If you can "push" it in what keeps it from just as easily moving out?

Anyone have a similar slide design? Have any thoughts about this? Ever tried to move it without power?

Answers might me scary, but will be aprreciated.
We're a little off topic from the OP's question, but the slide you're describing is a Schwintek slide by Lippert. Here's a link to some info... Schwintek In Wall Slide-Out

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:16 AM   #12

Dave, I would have had to search quite a bit to find the Schwintek info. Thanks for helping me with that one.

The dealer's instructions were not wrong - just super thin.

For anyone with this style of slide (mozeyrn) you shouldn't need slide locks. Although you should check the link to Schwintek and make sure you have the trouble shooting instructions - LIP Sheet 0260.

2012 Rockwood 2503S
fredm.seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:12 PM   #13

I posted this earlier.

I had an issue with the driver side slide. It would not deploy all the way in or out. Close, but perhaps 2" short both ways, and on the front end only. The dealer had the unit for several days and fixed the issue.

While bringing home the unit, I exited the highway at an interchange that was a slow, tight, downhill, right turn that merges with another highway. I was going perhaps 15mph. As I looked in the rear view mirrow to check for traffic, what did I see???? The top of the slide was tilted out about 12"!!! WOW!!!

I immediately went back to the dealer. The owner and mechanic both spent some time and were rather perplexed. The solution? I now have two Slide Locks to prevent this from happening.

Actually, this solution is okay with me, as I will not worry about it again. But, it does seem to me that this should not happen. Anyone else experienced this?

Folks can do what they want, but I'll use slide locks.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote