Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2010, 08:41 PM   #1

Question Slide Locks on a 8313

We just purchased a 8313 and was wondering how many people use there slide locks and if so how do you install them? We had a 23ss Roo and those were easy to install.

Thanks
Dean And Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #2

Never used them, on any of my trailers.
There would have to be a major problem with the slide-room mechanism for it to move out while traveling. Even if it did move, you would notice it in the side view mirror.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #3

What Mike said.

I have never used mine either. In fact, my dealer advised me not to used them as there is no need for them. He had a number of his customers coming in to have the cabinet facing replaced because they forgot to remove the lock when opening the slide and the facing was ripped off. (Even though there is a warning tag on it). They are probably included to keep the lawyers at bay if anything did happen. (Highly unlikely).

You would notice in the rear view mirror if your slide is opening up and could take appropriate action.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:33 AM   #4

I use mine every trip... I'm sorry if you cant remember to take them off when you start setting up camp, maybe you need something without slides. The bright orange take looking you in the face when you open the door tells you something. But anyways... I use mine to (in my mind) help take a load and stress off of the slide motor and gears. Encase you havent noticed these trailers arent built with the greatest quality. If you have to wait to see your slide coming out going down the road, you probable have already done alot of damage. I usually dont agree with my wife, but in the case, better safe than sorry.
J_W_Booher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #5

We haven't used ours either. As a matter of fact, when we did our walk-thru the service technician said that he usually pulls them out of the camper before the owner gets there and doesn't mention them to the owners. In his 15 year of working in the camper industry he said he has never seen a slide failure caused by the locks not being in place during travel. He did say that he has seen many people come in claiming that the molding at the top of the slide 'fell' off during travel when it actually was the lock not being removed before extending the slide. Warranty doesn't pay for stupid!

What it comes down to is personal preference and how comfortable you feel with them in or out during travel. Just make sure you have on your setup checklist the removal of the locks if you decide you want to use them.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #6

I have never used them on my 8313. No particular reason. The tech who walked me through the unit at purchase time recommended them for longer trips, but so far we have not taken any. The unit is 2 years old and so far I haven't noticed any negative impact from not using them.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:56 PM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

We were told to keep ours stored in a safe place at home and leave them there. Our old 2009 Edgewater never even had locks so I am not in the least worried about not using them.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:25 PM   #8

We used ours in the Kodiak HTT and kept a note over the slide switch to remove them. We do not have any with our Puma TT. I believe they come with the Shamrock 23ss we have ordered, and we plan to use them.
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2010 Ford F150 super cab 4 X 4
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
Nights Camped in 2010 - 2

During my PDI, the tech told me the something that most everyone is saying here. in fact, there was a page in my paperwork on alternate uses for your slide locks, such as laundry hanger, towel rack, etc... I found that pretty funny. Makes me wonder way they even put them in the TT. I think it boils down to comfort level and where you are towing the TT. I will see if I change my mind after a few trips. Cheers,
Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
sailingsuppo46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood