Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #1

Slide motor problem....

Hi all,

I have a Rockwood 2701ss that thankfully has been relatively trouble free, that is until last weekend. While pulling the slide in to pack up I noticed a strange sound. Almost as if something was caught in the track. I kept retracting the slide and it finally came in an I thought all was ok.

On a whim, I decided to check out the motor under the couch, and to my dismay, the motor had pulled completely off the wall! I secured the slide with the slide locks and proceeded home.

The next day I decided to take a look at the motor again to figure out if the bolts had just backed themselves out, or if they snapped, or what. Turns out the bolts are just large wood bolts that screw into the sidewall of the camper. I tried to relocate the motor slightly off from the original mount point and after one use the motor already started pulling away from the wall.

Long story short, has anyone else had this happen to them? If so, how did you repair it? My solution for now is to bolt the motor to a piece of 18"-24" plywood and then attach that to the wall with about 16 screws to help distribute the torque. ANy thoughts?

Thanks,
Brian
bricole1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

It sounds like the slide might be binding up or twisted which could be causing the additional strain on the motor. The plywood sounds like a good idea but I'd check the travel of the slide to be sure there isn't something there causing this to problem to occur.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #3

Came across your post doing a search. Have the same issue with my 2607. Just curious how you finally fixed and if it worked okay. I don't think my slide is binding at all. I checked all the other bolts involved and several were very loose. I think the bolts just worked loose and then the play as the motor moved the slide in and out finall pulled them from the wall. Thanks for any info.

Tags
rockwood