Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #1

Slide out drawers under dinette?

Hi,
We ordered a Rockwood Roo 21SS over the weekend. I was looking at the under the dinette storage cabinets and thinking how I always hated that in my pop-up. Bending over to look inside or taking off the cushions to access it was a pain. I was thinking that slide out drawers would be the way to go. Has anyone ever done that? I'm sure I can pay someone a ton to have these installed, but I am a bit of a do-it-yourselfer and was hoping to just get an idea how to proceed.
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #2

Oops, just realized I probably posted this in the wrong forum. I'll repost in the hybrid forum.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrun View Post
Hi,
We ordered a Rockwood Roo 21SS over the weekend. I was looking at the under the dinette storage cabinets and thinking how I always hated that in my pop-up. Bending over to look inside or taking off the cushions to access it was a pain. I was thinking that slide out drawers would be the way to go. Has anyone ever done that? I'm sure I can pay someone a ton to have these installed, but I am a bit of a do-it-yourselfer and was hoping to just get an idea how to proceed.
Yup, wrong forum! I'm sure a Mod will fix that for ya.

To answer your question, we had a 2008 Roo 21SS and we actually had drawers under both benches from the factory! Have they changed it? The furthest rearward bench was ordered with the full pass-through drawer meaning the drawer could be pulled out through the hatch on the exterior or through a door on the interior. If you didn't get that option, they installed a standard drawer that had a depth equal to about half the width of the bench. This is what our forward-most bench had. I took off the drawer front off the factory drawer box, built a new drawer box with full extension drawer slides with a depth equal to the full width of bench, and then put the factory drawer front on it. I actually compartmentalized that drawer as well to fit our stuff.

Along the same lines, under the jack-knife, I ordered a second door to match the one installed at the factory, doubled the width of the opening, and installed both doors to meet each other in the middle - see picture. The larger opening allowed us to pass-through Sterlite containers from the outside hatch in easily!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1699.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	70103  
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
Yup, wrong forum! I'm sure a Mod will fix that for ya.

To answer your question, we had a 2008 Roo 21SS and we actually had drawers under both benches from the factory! Have they changed it? The furthest rearward bench was ordered with the full pass-through drawer meaning the drawer could be pulled out through the hatch on the exterior or through a door on the interior. If you didn't get that option, they installed a standard drawer that had a depth equal to about half the width of the bench. This is what our forward-most bench had. I took off the drawer front off the factory drawer box, built a new drawer box with full extension drawer slides with a depth equal to the full width of bench, and then put the factory drawer front on it. I actually compartmentalized that drawer as well to fit our stuff.

Along the same lines, under the jack-knife, I ordered a second door to match the one installed at the factory, doubled the width of the opening, and installed both doors to meet each other in the middle - see picture. The larger opening allowed us to pass-through Sterlite containers from the outside hatch in easily!
Well I could be wrong, but I don't believe the benches have drawers in the 21SS that I saw. It would be great if they did, and I am just misremembering. Nor did I see that option on the spec sheet the dealer had. Especially the full pass through. I think I'd remember that.
Great idea for the sofa. We got the hide-a-bed option and I remember the storage under there, but I love your idea.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2015, 03:38 PM   #5

Just checked some online photos for you. Still have one drawer under the forward benche and rear bench gets a door. Full pass-through drawer still available it seems based on a few picts I saw with Sapphire package. Happy camping!

New 2015:

geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out