Old 07-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

Unhappy Slide out tore off cabinet door

Watch those cabinet doors prior to extending slide! Started to extend slide and heard a terrible sound. By the time I got my finger off the switch the top cabinet door on our 2703WS was ripped out. No damage to slide. I am going to replace hinges with self closing ones on both doors just as a precaution. They should come that way from the factory.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:27 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsm4 View Post
Watch those cabinet doors prior to extending slide! Started to extend slide and heard a terrible sound. By the time I got my finger off the switch the top cabinet door on our 2703WS was ripped out. No damage to slide. I am going to replace hinges with self closing ones on both doors just as a precaution. They should come that way from the factory.
I already used my Brad nailer to fix my wardrobe slide after a book fell in between it and the wall when it was closed. Needless to say, I know that horrible sound.

2016 nights camped = 11
Chpusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsm4 View Post
Been there, done that. Mine caught the handle and tweaked the hinges. Was able to straighten everything out. Always made sure they were closed and locked in place before moving slide in either direction.
2015 - 41
2016 - 81
AquaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #4

2703WS

Yep. Been there. Done that. Purchased our 2016. Third time opening slides tore the cabinet door off above and to the right of tv. Cracked the cabinet door in half. Very very careful now making double sure every cabinet and door is shut before closing the slides. ! Great way to break in the new TT! Not!!!
Old 07-30-2016, 09:22 AM   #5

When I got this TT I was surprised how close the slides were to doors and such, I always check before closing and need to train myself to check before opening as I assume the doors and TV are out of the way
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #6

Had the same happen when closing the slide on our last camper. Luckily only damage was to the hinges. Only blame to be placed was on me.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:29 PM   #7

there done that! left a door open when bringing a slide in. you only need to hear that terrible sound once! luckily the damage was repairable (with some effort).
Old 07-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #8
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

I have made it a habit to look at slides for obstructions before engaging to move out. Learned as mentioned here that crap happens. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
Days booked so far in 2017 37
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #9
Cadiz Couple

Me too---sounds like it happens to most of us newbys. I was warned about the problem when sliding IN but it happened to me on my first time sliding OUT. Live and learn---now "All cabinet doors secured with bungees" is on our set up and tear down" check lists. As an old Navy pilot I don't do anything in my Rockwood 8310 without a checklist.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:38 PM   #10

I ripped the door off the cabinet below the TV on my 2604WS. Apparently, the door opened after I hit a very bad bump on the road. Fixed with a slide latch so the door cannot open until I slide the latch. Caution others to also check the magazine rack/light that stores along the back wall while underway. If it slides toward the front of the trailer, something will break when you open the big slide.

Tags
door, slide, slide out