Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #1

Slide topper water pooling

Sorry to start a new thread on a topic that has probably been discussed, but I couldn't find anything exactly relevant.

We have a 2018 2608SB with a 16 foot main slide for the dinette and theater seating. Rain water pools incredibly in the center of the topper and simply does not drain off the roller or the ends of the awning material. An amazing amount of water is trapped up there stretching the awing material down and I believe I can see the roller bending in the middle from the weight.

I thought, perhaps, the awning just needed to be tightened, but others have confirmed their toppers do the same thing and nothing can be done. One person said he just brings the slide IN to dump the water and another somehow uses a beach ball wedged up there to divert the water. Neither seem like a proper solution.

Anyone found a cure?

It almost looks like this is another under-engineered pricey accessory by Forest River and other manufacturers. I wouldn't want to go without a topper, but, surely there is a way to correct the situation.

All suggestions appreciated.
John
john a v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:44 AM   #2

The stretching and sagging will only get worse. I did have some tension added to the roller (dealer did it, so I don't know how) to reduce the sagging. Ball is the only other solution I know of. Wouldn't go without a topper.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a v View Post
Sorry to start a new thread on a topic that has probably been discussed, but I couldn't find anything exactly relevant.

We have a 2018 2608SB with a 16 foot main slide for the dinette and theater seating. Rain water pools incredibly in the center of the topper and simply does not drain off the roller or the ends of the awning material. An amazing amount of water is trapped up there stretching the awing material down and I believe I can see the roller bending in the middle from the weight.

I thought, perhaps, the awning just needed to be tightened, but others have confirmed their toppers do the same thing and nothing can be done. One person said he just brings the slide IN to dump the water and another somehow uses a beach ball wedged up there to divert the water. Neither seem like a proper solution.

Anyone found a cure?

It almost looks like this is another under-engineered pricey accessory by Forest River and other manufacturers. I wouldn't want to go without a topper, but, surely there is a way to correct the situation.

All suggestions appreciated.
John
I use a coffee plastic coffee can. It was handy. Stays there 4 months until we leave. Closing the slide seems a little stupid.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:06 AM   #4

I like the idea of placing something on the slide roof when parked for a long time and raining weather is in place, but I don't like thinking that I'll forget to remove it!

I vote for slightly 're-leveling' the RV or coach to provide a better flow of water off the topper, at least for the times while it's raining.
Running the slide(s) in is an option, but doing that very often gets a little annoying, maybe.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
I like the idea of placing something on the slide roof when parked for a long time and raining weather is in place, but I don't like thinking that I'll forget to remove it!

I vote for slightly 're-leveling' the RV or coach to provide a better flow of water off the topper, at least for the times while it's raining.
Running the slide(s) in is an option, but doing that very often gets a little annoying, maybe.
Posted note above the switch comes to mind.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:37 AM   #6

We put underinflated beach balls under ours. Easy to pack. Easy to adjust. Also helps with the buffeting on windy days.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:10 AM   #7
Canadian Member

Ours does that, too. The only way to fix it is to add tension to the topper or at worst replace the awning material. In the meantime, to drain the water, I raise the front of trailer slightly just before bringing the slide in until the water has run off, then I put it back to level to bring the slide in.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:11 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Bump awning sagging

I had the same problem when we first purchased our Rockwood 5th wheel. The awning was loose when the bumpout was out.

To correct the problem, I simply tighten the awning so it would not sag, also
set the front end of camper up to assist the drain of rain water to the rear.

It is quite a process of tightening the awning springs. I ran the bump out all the way out. Installed the cotter pins in the end holes to prevent the awning
from rolling up when closing the bump out. I then closed the bump out about 1/2 way in. Then removed the awning from the end holders. I then rolled the awning up by hand about 1 - 1 1/2 complete turns, with the bump out still 1/2 to 3/4 closed, I reinstalled the end brackets of both ends of the awning to bump out.
I inserted a Phillip's head screw driver into the endcaps of awning to assist in removing the cotter pins from the awning, slowly letting the awning unroll
to its stop at each end.

make sure you mark the position of the awning on the bump out to keep it aligned so as it rolls up it will not wrinkle.

Unless your are very handy, you may have to get a RV store or Mobile RV repair to tighten the awning for you. It will take two fellows working together to accomplish this job tightening the awning.

GOOD LUCK
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #9

I have the same problem and wondered why the factory installed the awning 3" below the roof drip. Seems that 3" would have mad a huge difference especially on long awnings. Got to be careful with the tension. I had to do the opposite for my small entertainment slide as it would not sit tight against the wall at the top due to awning tension. ANY changes in awning tension have to be done carefully!
sasems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:32 PM   #10

This problem as well as twigs, pine cones finding their way under the topper and being a pain to get off, particularly on a large slide out is why we dont' like toppers.

Id rather get up there and just sweep off the top of the slideout when closing them
Old 06-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
This problem as well as twigs, pine cones finding their way under the topper and being a pain to get off, particularly on a large slide out is why we dont' like toppers.

Id rather get up there and just sweep off the top of the slideout when closing them
Hmmm, interesting..... I thought the purpose of a slide topper was to prevent those things??
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #12
Canadian Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post

The advantage of slide toppers depends a lot on where you do most of your camping. If you’re in an area that frequently has high winds they would be more trouble than benefit. The benefit in having them is protection from falling debris and from the sun’s heat.

If you have twigs, leaves, etc. sticking to the slide topper you may indeed need to get up there sweep it off but personally I’d rather have the topper as protection than not. If you miss something small and it gets rolled up in the topper its usually not a big deal, but better that than have something poking or getting stuck in the seals.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:38 PM   #13

Noticed quite a difference between our new TT and previous, new roller lower, awning closer to slide and mounting on main box higher. So far no pools like previous, dealer said come back if there's a problem.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:47 PM   #14

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and especially Daisy Boykin for the step by step process for adjusting the tension. I'm a little handy, but as the trailer is brand new, I think I'll let the dealer have a go, first.

Beach balls or plastic coffee cans or even a string of inflatable boat bumpers all seem like feasible work-arounds. It just upsets me any of these things would be necessary.

Thanks again for all the input.
john a v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #15
Just as confused as you

I had 3 toppers installed when I bought my trailer in August 2013. The 8' topper does not sag at all. The 12' and 16' toppers sag with rain. The problem is when they are installed the installer does not put the right amount of tension on the longer ones.

My slides stay out from mid-April to mid-October and the only thing I've had get under the toppers is hornets building nests which aren't that hard to deal with. Never have I had twigs, pine cones or pine needles get under the topper.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:36 PM   #16

I have always used a soccer ball. Perfect size and does not deflate as a beach ball would do over time.
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #17

My last 3 5ers have had toppers installed by CW when on sale. Never had a problem with water pooling ~~ they are snug when open. Nothing ever found on the roof under a topper either. Sounds like many are installed not snug enough!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 03:03 PM   #18
Ree

One way of doing it with a ball .....

A Ball Install
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Topper Ball.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	174967   Click image for larger version

Name:	Installing The Ball.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	174968  
Old 06-10-2018, 10:49 AM   #19

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
sagging Slide Toppers

Pretty close to 20 years of using RV with slide toppers, I have yet to get a pine
cone or twigs under a slide out topper.

DouglasReid, I noticed from your post you have a picture of your 5th wheel
posted which shows you do not have slide toppers. Have you ever used slide toppers?

I guess it is possible to get pine cones and twigs under the slide topper in a very rare condition of the weather.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ree View Post
A Ball Install
After staring at this picture for some minutes, it seems like the length posted for the vertical section ("PVC 1/2 width of slide plus 4 feet") is incorrect. I submit that the vertical section should be around 4 feet (see below), and OVERALL length, including the horizontal section, is "1/2 width of slide plus 4 feet."

The similar wording in the "instructions" would be similarly incorrect. If the "second pipe" (i.e., the vertical one) were 1/2 the width of the slide, plus 4 or 6 feet, it would never be able to be made "vertical." If your slide is 10 ft long, your vertical would be 10/2 + 4 = 9 feet long. If the top of your slide was 8 ft from the ground, you wouldn't be able to make the vertical pipe vertical.

I submit that the vertical should be whatever length is "comfortable" for you to reach the top of the slide with it.

It does seem like a neat way to install a ball easily.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, water