Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
Moderators' Assistant

we made the mistake of not having one installed on our slideout, when we bought our HTT.
after only a couple of years of camping, we went to CW and had one installed.

we camp in wooded CG's and had lots of sap, residue, debris and junk that caused lots of slide issues. actually had to pry the seals loose with a butter knife so i could open the slideout. sticky tree residue got on the seals and it actually glued the slideout seals to the side of the trailer.

since we have had the slidetopper, no more issues.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
Mod free 5er

Bought a Kodiak trailer without a topper and after a couple of months of fighting the debris getting inside when retracting the slide, we had the dealer install the topper. The dealer was very accomodating and only charged for the topper itself as a good will gesture. Wouldn't have a trailer with slides without the toppers.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #13

Good Morning and thanks for the replys.

Youroo, your comments about the bargaining is well taken. We did buy this unit off the lot and saved a little change. We opted for a pair of generators in place of them installing the toppers. I spoke with the service manager and he responded they usually go as low as possible when installing toppers at the company's expence.

I priced out all three toppers in black hardware with full metal wrap and light brown fabric to match the roof installed at just under $1,700.00. If I install them they will be about $1,350.00.

What do you think about this price?

Jim
Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepman71 View Post
Good Morning and thanks for the replys.

Youroo, your comments about the bargaining is well taken. We did buy this unit off the lot and saved a little change. We opted for a pair of generators in place of them installing the toppers. I spoke with the service manager and he responded they usually go as low as possible when installing toppers at the company's expence.

I priced out all three toppers in black hardware with full metal wrap and light brown fabric to match the roof installed at just under $1,700.00. If I install them they will be about $1,350.00.

What do you think about this price?

Jim
That is a good price for upgraded metal covered toppers,make sure they include the anti-billowing devices. Youroo!!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #15

We didn't have the slide toppers on our first camper and definitely wanted them on our second.

The first thing we noticed is when camping down south, the slide outs get hot. The toppers keep the sun directly off the top of the slides, which makes for a much cooler area.

Then there was the debris issue. No more pine needles to clean off each time we retracted the slides. Stop run em out, and just run em in when ready to go. With the other camper, I had to clean off the area before retracting, even if it was an overnight.

And lastly, one less chance of a leak during a rain storm. Yeah, it does occasionally rain when camping, even if I order up sunny skies for the whole trip.

2008 Toy Tundra DC 5.7L Bagged w/LTs
Hensley Arrow
2012 Windjammer 3001W, Atriumed
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post

The first thing we noticed is when camping down south, the slide outs get hot. The toppers keep the sun directly off the top of the slides, which makes for a much cooler area.

Then there was the debris issue. No more pine needles to clean off each time we retracted the slides. Stop run em out, and just run em in when ready to go. With the other camper, I had to clean off the area before retracting, even if it was an overnight.

And lastly, one less chance of a leak during a rain storm. Yeah, it does occasionally rain when camping, even if I order up sunny skies for the whole trip.
Yep, being in the South, the slide toppers work great for the reasons Joe pointed out. They also help quieten the sound of rain hitting the top of your slide out, which is directly over the head of my slide-out bed on my trailer. I had the misfortune of a long rainstorm hitting one night while camping, and it was extremely loud with the raindrops hitting the top of the slide-out, which doesn't have the insulation that your trailer roof has.

I added a pair to my camper nearly a year after I got it, and it made my life a lot easier, not having to clean/worry about the debris accumulating on the top of the slides.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote