Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #1

Slide won't work

We have an '05 8283SS and when we tried to put out the slide nothing happened. It doesn't have any power at the switch. The fuses were checked twice and all are okay. Is there an inline fuse somewhere? It worked fine two weeks ago on our last trip. Thanks
4huskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, this is the part where you have to be the hands, eyes, ears, and whatever else we ask you here. How do you know you don't have power at the switch? Did you verify this with a voltmeter, or a test light? Or is this just a guess? We can help you here, but you can't fix it without a few tools, and please don't guess. If there's no power at the switch, it has to come from somewhere. Which fuses were checked, and how where they checked? A visual check of fuses will not always reveal a bad fuse. Take your meter or test light, and with the ground probe properly grounded, check for voltage at all contacts of the switch. If there is none, then check for voltage on both ends of the fuses. If there is none, check the battery. Report back what you found, and make sure you have the right fuses. I don't have your model trailer, so I can't help with fuse location, hope somebody will chime in.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #3

We used a volt meter to check the switch. The guy helping me works for a major grocery chain maintaining their refrigeration and freezers including the electrical. The slide is the only thing not working; we tried every light in the trailer with the 110v off. We also pulled and reseated each fuse. In addition there is a light at each fuse location that came on when the fuse was pulled, so I can assume it would light if the fuse was bad. Does anyone know if there is an inline fuse in the slide circuit also?
Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #4

There is an inline fuse under the frame, close to the tongue. Follow the wires from the battery back and you will find it.

John U
2010 Born Free 22RSK
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4huskers View Post
We have an '05 8283SS and when we tried to put out the slide nothing happened. It doesn't have any power at the switch. The fuses were checked twice and all are okay. Is there an inline fuse somewhere? It worked fine two weeks ago on our last trip. Thanks
I don't know if the Rockwood uses the same thing or not. But one of our slides did not come in on our Georgetown motor home. The dealer reset a circut breaker near the fuse box and it worked. it was caused by low battery voltage

Ken and Velda
Dahlgren, VA.
2008 Georgetown XL 378
2010 Ford Escape Limited
kvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Now you have a couple more suggestions. Most of the in-line fuses will be encased in a green plastic box, with a snap shut lid. You'll have to open the lid to get fuse access. The fuses you were checking with the light beside them are the power panel for the trailer, and are in most newer trailers. Slides are not on all trailers, therefore they just use an in-line fuse somewhere, many times very inconvenient. If it were mine, I would look at changing the fuses to circuit breakers. They would have to be a special 12 volt automotive type, and weather proof. Camping world sells some various sizes, and may be available by order from auto supply stores. Good luck in your search. (While you have a voltmeter, check the battery voltage with every light on in the trailer. If it's below 11 volts, doubt you have enough voltage to run the slide. Make sure and turn the lights off before you try to operate the slide.)
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #7

Just like Midnightpumpkin said, check the left side A-frame of the tongue. Should be a inline fuse in green case.
squeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Knower of Some Things

Sometimes they like to hide the resettable fuses. That goes for all brands. Your buddy works on refrigeration. If he was using is 110 or 220 volt AC meter, it won't work. Make sure he is using a test light, grounded to a gas line under the stove, or entrance door striker, or whatever else. If there is definitely no power at the switch, you have a popped fuse or resettable breaker. Full line Rockwood dealer might know right off the top of their heads where it might be.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
Arn
Arn

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post
There is an inline fuse under the frame, close to the tongue. Follow the wires from the battery back and you will find it.

John U
Yup, Rockwood started hiding them there a few years ago.
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #10

been there done that after the typical crappy advice from a rv dealer service tech who did not want to deal with it from a large st cloud mn rv dealer. i went back via cell phone to the rv dealer that we bought our camper from the service dept mgr walked me through it and alright it worked great and still does.had to reset the 2 breakers ,on the inside of the tongue dont over complicate things if you dont have to and oh ya thanks shoerwood rv in anoka mn for the help
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2detroit View Post
from a large st cloud mn rv dealer.

Hahahaha. I bet it was PLEASURELAND RV.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #12

Okay, I had some other service work done on it and they also fixed the slide problem. It was a fuse and it must not have been too hard to find because they didn't charge me for it. Remember this is a 5th wheel; any idea where the fuse might be? I pretty much covered the basement storage area.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Look under the Flagstaff Forum for my info on 5th wheel slides. I too had to track down the location of the inline fuses on my 8526RLWS. The two green inline fuses are located BEHIND the battery (rightish side) in the right side of the front basement door.

They are SO hard to change that I replaced them both with Auto-resetting 30 amp fuses. In fact I replaced the 30 amp landing gear (black inline) with one too.

There is TONS of info on your slides in the Flagstaff post.
Lou
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:55 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

Go to this forum. You might have to join but its free.

http://rocky06fs.forumco.com/forum~FORUM_ID~70.asp

Lou
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:39 PM   #15

My Slide-Out Challanges

We have a relatively new 2010 FR Surveyor SV-302 and it has been out 4 times. Two of the four times, the slide-out has blown it's 30 amp fuse. The first time was on it's maiden vovage and when it when back to the dealer for warranty work, the dealer siad there was a problem with wiring and it was correct. then it went well trip 2 and 3 and then trip 4, blown fuse again. I replaced the fuse ( and bought a pack of replacment fuses) all worked and then took the unit in for more warranty work. the Dealers first comment was, well when the batteries are drained down, this can happen. well, when we had the fuse blow, the unit had just been at an RV park plugged into AC for two days, then driven 100 miles, then on AC at the next RV park when when we tried to put the slideout out and found the fuse blown. on top of that , since we have two new batties, seems like we should have plenty of DC to get the job done. it will be interesting to see what the dealer comes up with --they and Forrest River have been excelent with warranty work thrus far, we have had a lot of warranties items but all pretty minor stuff. Anyone else have a similiar situation!
Sawduster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood