Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM   #1

Slideout problems Rockwood 8313SS

My super slide stopped working. Would not go in or out. The motor spins but will not turn the two shafts. I'm able to crank the slide in and out with an open end wrench. The slide is square and level. The motor is a Thomson Saginaw Performance Pak. Does anyone know where I may get the gear box or information on it. My selling dealers parts department was no help at all. Hellp Please!
mnorrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorrick
My super slide stopped working. Would not go in or out. The motor spins but will not turn the two shafts. I'm able to crank the slide in and out with an open end wrench. The slide is square and level. The motor is a Thomson Saginaw Performance Pak. Does anyone know where I may get the gear box or information on it. My selling dealers parts department was no help at all. Hellp Please!
Is the shear pin Lol sheared?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:26 AM   #3

Shear pin

Where would that be located?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Can you take a pic of where motor is and post?
Normally right at the motor to shaft.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #5

Photo

Thanks! I will get a photo when the rain stops here and post it. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #6

If you have somebody run the switch, is it possible for you to see if the output shaft off the gearbox is turning? If it is you probably sheared the woodruff key.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #7

Output shaft

I can see where the emergency hand crank inserts, and that spins freely when the slide switch is pushed. The shaft with the square tubes do not move when the switch is moved. If it is the key would the whole assembly need to be removed. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #8

Does your shaft resemble this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1986781698.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	16984

Broken key

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-758848604.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	16985

If the key is sheared that shaft should still turn, just the primary gear in the middle doesn't turn.

It took some on-the-fly engineering but I did find a way to remove the shaft on mine without removing the whole unit
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:37 AM   #9

I do not have the shaft out yet. Mine has round shafts with square tubes over them. It appears that there is covers on each side of the box that the shafts come out of.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #10

I would also consider calling Forrest River -- they have been EXTREMELY HELPFUL in my dealing with them (through my dealer). The last time we sent it back to Forrest River for a crack in the filon they fixed so much else -- at not cost to me.
Jackie - dog - 1994

2006 F150, 4dr, FX4, 5.4, 3.73
Equal-i-zer 10K
Prodogy BC

Career US Army Logistican

texasclarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #11

I can't find help for this anywhere online, it's like I'm have the only one like this.

This thread is old but seems like the same issue I'm having, the community knowledge seems to be more useful here than anywhere else I've been looking.

My slide will open if I move it with a wrench.
The motor works, and when I take it off the gear box I can see that it spins and is strong. Using the manual crank through the motor doesn't work, so I assume this gear box is the problem, I had it off, but it is packed full of grease, and I'm not sure what to look for inside it. I'm guessing it's a worm gear of sorts that transfers the motors power to the horizontal shaft that moves the slide. Right now I'd be happy to find a shop that can order me this part so I have time to get it on.

If anyone knows who to talk to about this please let me know. I want to get a new gear box for this. I'm getting tired of opening and closing the slide with a wrench, and I'm only a week away from going on a bigger trip.

If anyone knows how to call or email forest river/rockwood directly please let me know. The dealer hasn't been any help, other dealers haven't been any help. In fact one dealer told me trying to deal with forest river is horrible.

I've also googled Thompson Saginaw, and that doesn't help at all.

I've attached a photo if anyone has seen this anywhere. Thank you for reading and helping if you can.

Tags
8313ss