Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #1

Small openings in corners of slides

Just bought a 2020 Rockwood 2608bs when the bed slide and living room slide is open or closed there is a small hole in each corner of slide where mice can get in. Anyone able to seal this openings as slides still have to go in and out and rubber seals don't block the holes.
sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:41 AM   #2

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by small holes in the corners are your seals not covering the entire slide? Maybe a pic would help
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #3

Yes I am interested in this too. As we have the same camper
Old 10-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #4

When the slides are in you can see daylight from inside trailer on the floor on all four corners facing the wall of slides. About 1/8 inch gap of daylight, a little larger hole when slides are out. Thought maybe a small block of wood to block these holes but can't interfere with slide outs or stuffing with steel wool.
sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #5

Sounds like the slide is not sealed up properly???
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #6

Are the holes you are seeing on the slide box floor or on the main floor? It would be nice if you could provide a pic
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #7

We have the same issues with our 2019 Rockwood 2606WS Ultra Lite TT
NC MiniLite 7-2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #8
SJB

We don't have this problem with our Rockwood but did with our previous trailer. We stuffed crumbled up aluminum foil into the corners once the slide was moved in. We had no problems with mice.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #9

seals

Same thing with my slide also. The bottom seals are blocked by the rail when the slide is open so they don't seal 100%. I keep my slide closed when the trailer is not in use because of the very small gap. Like you, am afraid of an opening a rodent can get into.
Hammahamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:07 PM   #10

Put some steel wool in the openings - mice don't like steel wool. We have a 2019 Forester and have the same problem. Also had this problem with our previous coach - 2005 Holiday Rambler Endeavor - used steel wool to keep mice out.
pbft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #11

If I hear this right this is new why should he be fixing it not the dealer ?
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #12

Small openings in slides

We have the same issue in our full length slide in our 2016 Forest River Forester MBS. Our dealer has checked it several times! When the slide is closed you can see a bit of daylight at each end (floor corner of the slide)! The rubber flexible seal appears to be about 1/8 in too short at each end! They were going to order & install a new one under warranty but the replacement is the same length! Haven’t had a slide before so didn’t know to check before buying! What I do when closed (not during RV trips though) is break in-half a piece of rectangular steel wool and place it in each corner from the outside as the slide is just about closed! Works great! We also have our RV sprayed each year with mouse free ($250) & it works for us! The stuff does come off if you drive through lots of water! Dan
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #13

Mine is doing the same on just one corner. I originally had it it fixed during the warranty. But it has appeared again. The dealer put in a short piece. But the small piece separated and needs to be fixed again. But it is now out of warranty. My vertical piece of slide seal broke away at the top. I just replaced that but it did not fix my corner problem. Steel wool looks like a good idea but seems like a short term fix. I will check a corner that is working right and see what was done.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #14

There should be a preformed piece of foam rubber attached to the main floor to take up that space. I had the dealer install them back in 2009 when the 5th was under warranty.:
fenellasabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 03:42 PM   #15

Can FR not have some one read a tape measure? With all these complaints they got to know they have a problem ?
cfo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 04:24 PM   #16

It has to do with cost and the speed they build them, the employees have to run to do there job on the line so to attach these corner pieces they may be in the trailer when dealer picks up.
fenellasabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:08 PM   #17

Mice and rodents in general can get in thru any small opening. The gaps around slides, the hole where the water hose enters, small gaps around drain lines and electrical penetrations, gaps in the propane storage area. Any little opening is an opportunity. Any food including pet/bird food is considered an invitation by these pesky little buggers. I spent several hours over 3days looking for holes, gaps, any little opening and stuffing them with steel wool. I do remove and replace the wool around the slides because I think it is abrasive to the fabric liner on the slide bottom. I also use a bunch of the sonic rodent repellers. Good luck.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:37 AM   #18

Any water problems when traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims View Post
Just bought a 2020 Rockwood 2608bs when the bed slide and living room slide is open or closed there is a small hole in each corner of slide where mice can get in. Anyone able to seal this openings as slides still have to go in and out and rubber seals don't block the holes.

Coachman 2019 248 RVS
We had this same space in both corners of the slide out when we went on our first trip with this unit.

While traveling, on our first very rainy day, upon stopping we found the floor covered with water.

The slide area behind the wheels was taking on water from the wheel splash in the wheel well.

Forrest River had left out two very important foam blocks for each corner. Went to the dealer and found all 248 RVS did not have the blocks.

Blocks blocks installed problem solved.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo111 View Post
Can FR not have some one read a tape measure? With all these complaints they got to know they have a problem ?

Just because they know they have a problem does not mean they intend to do anything about it. That's a constant in the RV Industry. Need another example, look into the fresh water tank supports on the Roos and Minilites. If it works out at the end of the day on a spreadsheet where more numbers are black than red, or less are in brackets than are not, then that's good enough.

Now they are able to have all sorts of great sounding verbiage on web sites and brochures which some buy into, plenty of time and effort is put into those.

Smoke and Mirrors.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:26 PM   #20

Can not agree more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
Just because they know they have a problem does not mean they intend to do anything about it. That's a constant in the RV Industry. Need another example, look into the fresh water tank supports on the Roos and Minilites. If it works out at the end of the day on a spreadsheet where more numbers are black than red, or less are in brackets than are not, then that's good enough.

Now they are able to have all sorts of great sounding verbiage on web sites and brochures which some buy into, plenty of time and effort is put into those.

Smoke and Mirrors.

Today's RV, TT are some of the most poorly constructed creatures I have ever seen. It's like we are buying a fixer upper. Spent thousands of dollars to get a unit that requires upgrades almost immediately if not sooner.

MANUFACTURERS, DEALERS, REPAIR CENTERS ALL SUCK BALLS WITH A FEW EXCEPTIONS. Man I feel better!
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide