Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

Question Sofa/Bed by Flair Interiors

Hi all! I wrote to Flair Interiors a little over a week ago about our sofa bed (bed?.....I use the term loosely! ha ha) I have not heard back from them, so was going to try again today. Website has been taken down. SO! I hope someone here can help me. Below is the letter I sent to them. I hope I can figure out how to attach the pictures! (2) Thank you in advance for your replies!
Mickey

Hi customer service!

I hope you can figure out the problem I'm having with the fold out couch in our 5th wheel. Rockwood Ultra Lite Signature Series, Diamond Package. 2016 8265ws. Purchased new 6/23/2016.

Please see the attached pictures of the couch in it's sitting position, hopefully you'll know the couch since I couldn't find a model number on it, and the other picture of it folded out into the bed position. See that big gap towards the top? Darn, I forgot to measure how wide the gap is, but it's about 8 inches. Impossible to sleep on, unless someone is into torture. ha ha It's right about where your shoulder would be.

Are we doing something wrong? Or are we missing a piece? Please advise how this nice looking couch is supposed to come together as a bed.

Also, when folded into the bed position, there's a gap, although much smaller, between the "mattress" and the "seat" of the couch. It's bothersome, but we can put a foam topper or something on the whole thing for sleeping, but even a foam topper isn't going to help that gap by the head of the bed.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Looking forward to your reply! Thanks!

Mickey Stevens
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-rockwood8265wsdiamond-flairinteriorscouch(1).jpg
Views:	488
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	117407   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-rockwood8265wsdiamond-flairinteriorscouch(2).jpg
Views:	537
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	117408  
MsMick8265ws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 08:58 PM   #2

I have the same problem
Keo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:05 AM   #3

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this!
Old 08-16-2016, 08:46 AM   #4

It looks to me like that sofa is made to support an air mattress. Perhaps a foam topper would also work. It does not appear made to sleep directly on the open sofa.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:38 AM   #5

Hi Vic,

It has a pretty decent mattress and is pretty comfy except for that large gap. Before we bought it, we asked the salesman if it had a tri-fold bed and he said it has better than that....it's a (forgot what he called it) bed. He said with this type of bed you get the drawer underneath where as you don't with a tri-fold. (the drawer doesn't hold much though) Unless there's a solution to this (hoping we're just not doing something right) might have to go to an air mattress even though that's what we were trying to avoid. *sigh*
Old 08-16-2016, 02:25 PM   #6

We have the same couch with the same issues in out 5er, and have not figured out a solution to making it into a viable bed. It is also a PITA to get it to lock in the couch position.

Did a Google search just now and saw this:

http://www.goshennews.com/news/busin...6246034af.html

You might be able to obtain an email address from Lippert for their "new" division in search of a solution. If you have any success there are a number of us here that would appreciate a follow-up post. Thanx.
TandSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #7

Replaced ours with a double recliner loveseat. One of our best improvements.

Jack350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #8

Sofa/love seat

My Lexi came with two pieces of vinyl covered "columns" that were about 6" square and the width of a mattress. I never could figure out what they were for so just store them. Looks like they might have been "gap fillers" but our sofa didn't need them.
GlennSchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #9

We have the same issue with the sofa "bed" on our 2016 2604ws. Our dogs don't even like it. The gaps can still be felt through a memory foam topper.
Maris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:49 PM   #10

I have the same issue with that couch/bed in my Flagstaff Classic 831RESS. I considered taking it out and replacing it with a real couch/bed, but decided against it in the end due to weight and matching considerations. My couch is located within one of my slides and I could not take the chance of creating a problem. I finally purchased a 5" thick memory foam mattress to fit on top in place of the supplied air mattress which was a pain to inflate/deflate even though it had a built in air pump. Now I just roll up the mattress, put an elastic bungee around it and store it behind my lazy boy recliners when not in use. Not the best of situations, but doable...
Jobecka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:19 PM   #11

Try this

Take the seat back loose from the Velcro then push the smaller mattress pieces together. I covered the whole thing with a couple of blankets as a matress pad but I think a topper would be great. A queen sized sheet will fit on the whole thing. It had the "seal of approval" from my 6'7" son...he didn't say it was totally comfortable, but that it was vastly improved.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #12

I agree with Slp2go. If you remove the cushions that would support your back if you are sitting on the sofa as a regular sofa (there should be velcro holding the back cushions in place), you can then lay flat the black foam behind the back cushions and slide it towards the rest of the sofa sleeper. I have the exact sofa sleep in my Rockwood Ultra-Lite TT except it is fabric.

I went round and round with the RV dealer about my sofa sleeper after I had purchased the TT new in March 2016. It was manufacture defective when I purchased it and would not stay in the upright, locked position no matter what I did. It took some cutting and re-welding but my RV tech at the dealer was finally able to fix that problem after re-working the sofa frame. I was also never shown how to properly use the sofa sleeper when I bought the TT (open or close it). My tech, again, came to the rescue and showed me how to use the sofa as a sleeper. My sister sleeps on my sofa sleeper when she camps with me and she does use a 1.5" mattress topper. She has actually said the sofa sleeper is rather comfortable now that we know how to use it correctly.
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
I agree with Slp2go. If you remove the cushions that would support your back if you are sitting on the sofa as a regular sofa (there should be velcro holding the back cushions in place), you can then lay flat the black foam behind the back cushions and slide it towards the rest of the sofa sleeper. I have the exact sofa sleep in my Rockwood Ultra-Lite TT except it is fabric.

I went round and round with the RV dealer about my sofa sleeper after I had purchased the TT new in March 2016. It was manufacture defective when I purchased it and would not stay in the upright, locked position no matter what I did. It took some cutting and re-welding but my RV tech at the dealer was finally able to fix that problem after re-working the sofa frame. I was also never shown how to properly use the sofa sleeper when I bought the TT (open or close it). My tech, again, came to the rescue and showed me how to use the sofa as a sleeper. My sister sleeps on my sofa sleeper when she camps with me and she does use a 1.5" mattress topper. She has actually said the sofa sleeper is rather comfortable now that we know how to use it correctly.
THANK YOU Kittlecat & Slp2go! When folded out into a bed I did discover a black part that lays flat towards the top of the mattress that is attached to Velcro and wondered if maybe it was supposed to come apart and slide that piece forward, but I didn't want to ruin anything trying to do that. Now I know it's ok to do that! I'll give it a try on our next camping trip which starts tomorrow.

As far as locking the sofa in place, ours is pretty good, but not perfect. It will come unlatched if someone sits slouched on the couch. Probably wouldn't hurt to have them check it when we take it in for several other defects that need addressed this winter while we're not using it.

Thank you everyone for your replies. A great group of people here!

Happy Camping!

Mickey
Old 08-17-2016, 08:36 AM   #14

I do not have this type of sofa but would like to offer the following:

1. To solve the gap problem, would sleeping with your head at the foot end of the bed be better?

2. Flair has been purchased by Lippert. The Lippert representative, at the Rally, told me that they were still trying to integrate the purchase.
gbpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:58 AM   #15

I have to fold mine out again and check for this problem (never use it) I did get a nice surprise after driving 14 miles on washboard back road, there is storage under the couch, I had never tried to pull that area open.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #16

HI, we have the same couch/sofa bed and there is a trick to keeping it locked. When you close it up, you must hold the front cushion with the support legs, in the up position all the way until it is completely closed. Then when you lower it, the legs lower into a "hole" and it will lock in position. Yes, the black cushion at the wall end is attached with Velcro. You must pull it up to detach it, slide it towards the end of of the bed. Then the back sofa cushion goes into the gap like a head rest. I have used a mattress topper but it is bulky to store. Based on recommendations on this forum. I now use an Intex Plush brand full size inflatable bed that I purchased from Walmart. A queen size may fit but I have 't tried it. This is extremely comfortable to sleep on.
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed