Old 09-29-2019, 03:36 PM   #1

Soft floor

I know there are lots of other posts about this, but does anyone know about this on a 2607A?

2607Ahome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Are you sure there's an "A", in the model number? NADA only lists a 2607, for 2014. The only years they show, for a 2607A, are 2015 and 2016.
I know that Rockwood transitioned from luan floors to wood floors at some point.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:29 PM   #3

Thanks bikendan. It is a 15. I looked on my sales contract, and yes, it has the 2607A label on the outer shell by the door. Emerald edition too.
2607Ahome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2607Ahome View Post
Thanks bikendan. It is a 15. I looked on my sales contract, and yes, it has the 2607A label on the outer shell by the door. Emerald edition too.
Well, they only made that model for the two years. Not sure how different the A model is from a regular 2607.
But pretty sure all the 2015 Rockwood Ultralights would have the same floor construction. So other 2015 owners should be able to clarify.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:58 AM   #5

Soft floors

From the research I have done, I believe all the 2015 and older have the sandwich floor which is prone to flexing and/or soft spots over time. Most if not all of the 2016 have it. They switched to 5/8" tongue and groove plywood for the early 2017 models. I believe it was at the same time they switched to higher ceilings and taller slideouts. Mine was built in Feb. of 2017 with the taller walls, it has the plywood floor and is does not flex.

The floor in the older models are built with very thin plywood (luan) glued on the top and bottom of a slab of styrofoam like the ceiling and walls are constructed. My previous RV had a floor constructed like that and it gradually flexed more with use over the 20 years I owned it. I instructed the kids not to jump on the floor, but otherwise we used it normally and it never completely failed. The older RV floor under the dinette never flexed where we didn't walk like under the dinette. I think it is a factor of how much it is walked on and not time assuming no water damage or glue failure.
Bdcothran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:21 AM   #6

Our 2011 has this type of flooring and the only "soft" spot was from water damage. The floor is quite solid.
KKonyha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKonyha View Post
Our 2011 has this type of flooring and the only "soft" spot was from water damage. The floor is quite solid.

The Rockwood / Flagstaff laminated floor was about as bulletproof as you can get a laminated floor. Why? Because they put the aluminum tubes on closer centers than everyone else. Everyone I have seen that had a soft spot could be attributed to the owners not knowing when to pass on a sammich or water damage.

I am of the opinion they went to the 5/8 plywood (Is it really plywood or OSB?) not because it's any better, but because its cheaper. What do you think costs more? Screwing down 5 sheets of 5/8 plywood or laminating one of those floors together? They took the savings and put it into the solid surface countertops and other bling at the same time, while holding the bottom line and keeping the yearly price increase to a minimum. Bling sells, even if its plastic.
Feel Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #8

My Rockwood RV nickname is Soft Rotten Wood. The first and last RW I will ever purchase.
milton_w_herron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feel Swift View Post
The Rockwood / Flagstaff laminated floor was about as bulletproof as you can get a laminated floor. Why? Because they put the aluminum tubes on closer centers than everyone else. Everyone I have seen that had a soft spot could be attributed to the owners not knowing when to pass on a sammich or water damage.

I am of the opinion they went to the 5/8 plywood (Is it really plywood or OSB?) not because it's any better, but because its cheaper. What do you think costs more? Screwing down 5 sheets of 5/8 plywood or laminating one of those floors together? They took the savings and put it into the solid surface countertops and other bling at the same time, while holding the bottom line and keeping the yearly price increase to a minimum. Bling sells, even if its plastic.
As for me, l most definitely prefer the 5/8" plywood (and it is plywood). Point load that luan enough and you'll see why. I doubt they switched because it was cheaper. Sometimes people and companies do things because they are the right things to do.

Tags
floor