Old 11-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #1

Soft Floor

I have a 2014 8280WS that is right at the one year mark. I have lived in it since November of last year and have been traveling fulltime since April of this year (26 states/62 campgrounds).

The other day I noticed the floor around one of my heater vents was soft/spongy. It is the vent in the kitchen area and is located in front of the sink, stove and icebox so it gets a lot of traffic. I toured the factory during the last FROG rally and saw the type of flooring that is used. It would be plenty strong enough except where they cut out for the heater vents. I would have assumed that the designers reinforced that cut-out area but now I'm having my doubts.

Question: has anyone noticed a similar problem with their flooring next to their heater vents? If so, did you do anything about it?

Thanks in advance

blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #2

Lots of Members find (Soft Floor Areas) in Rockwood/Flagstaff) units around the (Heat Ducts).When you crush Styrofoam this will happen. You have seen firsthand how they are made. Yes I wish ours had flooring like (CC or Others) that use (Plywood/OSB) but we have (LIGHTWEIGHT) units! Youroo!!

Old 11-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #3

I don't have a problem with the flooring material. It is plenty strong enough even for a "healthy" sized man such as myself. My concern is a problem area where the flooring has been weakened by cutting out for the vents. This problem should have been solved by reinforcement in that area and I assume it was done. So I guess my questions are, has others had this problem around their vents, are they are reinforced and if not, what is the solution? I have placed a thick rubber mat over the area that is helping to "bridge" the soft area. That is working so far, but if the problem worsens then eventually something will need to be done.
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

Our flooring sank in about 2in in the area you are talking about . 2014 rockwood 2604WS . Forest river took it back to the factory and completely " refurbished " the unit . New floor and linoleum was replaced . They had it over a month , including time spent at our dealer for " testing " .It was 7 months old when it happened .
we are now having squeaking and popping in the walls and floor around the door and in kitchen , bath areas . Not sure what our next step will be . hope ya have a Blessed week , Al
Old 12-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #5

Soft floor

Mine is soft on the back side of the vent opening towards the bedroom. It's noticeable every time I step there and I'm not a large person. I plan to take it into a Forest River dealership when I am near one in the future. Was wondering why this was happening!
Old 12-02-2014, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutterBugBev View Post
Mine is soft on the back side of the vent opening towards the bedroom. It's noticeable every time I step there and I'm not a large person. I plan to take it into a Forest River dealership when I am near one in the future. Was wondering why this was happening!
We were told it was a delamenation problem with our unit . not sure if it is rockwood wide problem ? have a Blessed evening , Al
Old 12-02-2014, 06:42 PM   #7

The only way to help it provided it isn't water damage which your damage seems like it is certainly not anything related to water would be to reinforce it with an extra brace.

I had a soft spot in my last trailer due to water damage. When I gutted the bad flooring, I ended up bracing additional structure members to the existing aluminum beams. This made a huge difference.

I would think the only thing you can do is reinforce it from the bottom. Even then, it's not going to be too easy.

Since it's a 2014, I'd really talk to your dealer and/or FR about what you can do. It might be worth a shot. I know on older units which as mentioned it's common on the lighter weight units there isn't much you can do. You might have luck since it's still so new.

Let us know what happens!
Old 12-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagstaffer06 View Post
The only way to help it provided it isn't water damage which your damage seems like it is certainly not anything related to water would be to reinforce it with an extra brace.

I had a soft spot in my last trailer due to water damage. When I gutted the bad flooring, I ended up bracing additional structure members to the existing aluminum beams. This made a huge difference.

I would think the only thing you can do is reinforce it from the bottom. Even then, it's not going to be too easy.

Since it's a 2014, I'd really talk to your dealer and/or FR about what you can do. It might be worth a shot. I know on older units which as mentioned it's common on the lighter weight units there isn't much you can do. You might have luck since it's still so new.

Let us know what happens!
Dealer tried bottom reinforcement . did not help . now , FR is saying it is Lippert frame problem ? one would think that after having it back at factory they would have checked it from top to bottom . ??? have a Blessed evening , Al