Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2010, 08:53 PM   #1

Soft spot around AC on roof

I've got a 2007 8313 I purchased used a few weeks ago. I was on the roof today looking around and noticed a small tear about the size of a tic tac in the rubber roof about 4" away from the AC on one side, and 2 other tiny tears near by.

I can walk all over the roof and didn't notice any soft spots, but of course, right near that side of the AC it does seem mildly soft if you put some decent pressure on it.

I sealed the small tears with some caulk for now.

SO, what to do! leave it be and enjoy it (we've used it twice and had a great time); pay someone to pull the AC, tear into the roof, for a small soft spot and pay big $; or fight the place I bought it from (700 miles away) to take it back (they said they did an exhaustive PDI, NOT!).

My real fear is any possible rot getting worse from any moisture that may be trapped in there and/or mold.

I do have to say, buying used is not fun. (and yes, I know, I should have not trusted the PDI, what can I say, I'm new to this)
davidl340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Getting a dealer to take back a used RV may be impossible, unless you have it in writing you can return it within so many days.

As for the soft spot on the roof, are you sure it is from a leak? Many times the roof bracing will be different around the vent where the AC is. Are you sure the roof is soft from leaking and not just a difference in the bracing? I'm aware of your concern over future repairs, and cost, but I would make sure it is from a leak. Maybe you can get another dealer closer to take a look for a few dollars.

Sorry I'm not much help, but maybe an idea will come from this.
Good Luck, and since you have it fixed for now, might as well enjoy it this summer. Get it repaired this fall/winter.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:54 AM   #3

I'm pretty sure it is soft from the leak, as the other side isn't nearly as soft. It is disheartening to say the least.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:14 AM   #4

The roof construction is a sandwich -top layer is the rubber or vinyl, followed by thin plywood, followed by hi density foam, followed by the inside panelling. The underside of the vinyl material has a soft cloth-like coating that "wicks" moisture in all directions if it gets wet. If the plywood layer is water damaged, it's layers will usually separate and warp over time. If this is the case you should be able to "feel" the warping/separating, compared to the adjacent areas.
.... and another thought. Wonder if it Is possible to remove a small area of the vinyl roofing, inspect for damage, and then patch and seal the area ??

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #5

I saw the cloth-like material, and I did feel the slight warping of the top layer of wood in the general ac area. There is no discoloration or any sign of anything on the interior. Luckily it appears to have leaked lots of volume of water, just small amount over time.

If I was to get it repaired back to original condition, I'm sure the AC would have to come off and part of the rubber/vinyl replaced/resealed.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #6

Just spoke with the place I bought it (RV's For Less - Where The Name Says It All! (Knoxville, Tennessee)), and surprise, they supposedly 'did' inspect the roof. Right, this soft spot developed in 3 weeks? I don't think so. Ultimately it was my responsibility to ensure I wasn't being lied to (their PDI does include a roof inspection).

Anyway, their recommendation was to seal it and let it be. He said use Lap Sealant from Dicor.

Tags
rockwood