Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #1

soft spot in ceiling

While spending a few days at camp this weekend, I discovered a soft spot in the bedroom ceiling. I am so frustrated with this new discovery. We treat and inspect this roof at least 2 times if not more in the camping season. It was just the way the light hit the roof that brought it to our attention.
It looks to be exactally on the back side of where the awning bracket is attached to the side wall. Upon getting onto the roof, we arent able to find any soft areas or holes.
Is it possible that this leak seeped in through that bracket? The area affected is about 8 inches long and 4 inches wide. This area developed very quickly because all was well when I washed down the walls in April..
I am just sick to have discovered this problem. Has anyone else dealt with a similar issue or believe that the bracket was the cause of their damage?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to be able to get more in depth with the inspection when we return in a few days.
It is so frustrating when you think that you do the maintenance yearly to prevent this and discover you may have a major issue..
I am also concerned about mold developing now..Thank you any suggestions that you can give...
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #2

"It looks to be exactally on the back side of where the awning bracket is attached to the side wall."
-----------------------------------
You mentioned the soft spot was on the ceiling. Is it there, or high on the wall close to the ceiling?
And yes, the awning brackets have been known to leak, as the lag bolts used to screw into the sidewall are not always sealed properly, if at all.
Someone else had posted that they pulled the lag bolts out and squeezed some caulk in the holes before reinstalling the bolts.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #3

The spot is on the ceiling, it starts right where that small piece of trim meets the wall. I havent noticed any softness where the wall meets the ceiling,however I will check,
blue eyes is offline   Reply With Quote