Old 11-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #21
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
It's my opinion that there's a lot of hype related to these solar panels, and that they don't really put out what they're rated for, or at least not for long

I also wonder what putting 19 vdc on the batteries is doing to them.
I think that picture is just a case of the panels not being in direct sunlight. My panels have put out 90% of their rated capacity for several hours at a time in direct sun.

Not sure about the 19 volts - the charge controller should be adjusting based on battery condition and its settings. Most solar charge controllers do a better job of properly charging the batteries than the factory converters do.

2005 F-150 FX4
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #22
I bought my panels from a Quebec based company Solar energy dc in Montreal. $490 CDN buys you the wiring, 255 watt panel and mppt controller. In us funds that less than $400. Then you buy the mounting feet from rv solar for $8 and screw those puppies down and dicor in, on and around the feet as you mount them. There is wind (especialy side breezes) up there. So the cables need to be secured to the roof. Home depot has ties with sticky feet that do the job. Enjoy the view from the top of the rv. My neighbors all love watching me work.

Eric Jackson
Ottawa Ontario Canada
2015 Solera 24R
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:32 PM   #23
2012 Solera
As he states, the 19.2 volts is the voltage from the solar panels. Also as he states, he is hooked to shore power and his batteries are "full". The MPPT controller is properly dropping the voltage to match the batteries and is supplying a 1 amp trickle charge. No indication of the panel's potential charge capability is implied.

2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote