Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #1

Solar ready

Can some one tell me exactly what this solar ready means. Can we hook up solar and run ac? There are two solar connection points. One inside pass thru and the other in front of battery compartment. I figure the one in front of battery compartment is for battery but am wondering about the one in pass thru. It also says to use zamp solar. We have 2018 Rockwood signature ultra lite 8301 WS fifth wheel. TIA
2003 Ford F-250 super duty diesel
Vinemont, AL
Triple SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #2

are there jacks on the roof?
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Solar Ready is a feel good marketing term that generally means there is a plug on the roof or side of the RV and a wire from it to somewhere near the battery. You need solar panels, a controller if you want to simply charge batteries. If you want AC power to run small appliances you need an inverter to convert 12VDC to 110VAC. If you wish to run anything significant or for any period of time, you will need more panels, a bigger controller and more batteries. You can not run the A/C unless you have a very large expensive system. I always suggest determining your DC demands before buying anything for for solar. Remember for every one amp of AC current you need you need 10ADC current.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:49 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple SS View Post
Can some one tell me exactly what this solar ready means. Can we hook up solar and run ac? There are two solar connection points. One inside pass thru and the other in front of battery compartment. I figure the one in front of battery compartment is for battery but am wondering about the one in pass thru. It also says to use zamp solar. We have 2018 Rockwood signature ultra lite 8301 WS fifth wheel. TIA
NO, solar won't run the a/c. Solar doesn't directly run anything. All the solar does is recharge the batteries. So unless you have about twelve true deep cycle batteries and a massive inverter, you have to use shore power or a generator to run the a/c.
All solar ready means is that there is wiring from the batteries to the solar jack.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
are there jacks on the roof?
I have never climbed on roof as I am afraid of heights. Dh had not mentioned any jacks
Vinemont, AL
Old 09-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #6

[QUOTE=bikendan;2182995
All solar ready means is that there is wiring from the batteries to the solar jack.[/QUOTE]

Why would you have two jacks?
Vinemont, AL

Tags
solar