Old 08-03-2012, 02:14 PM   #1

Some thought after a two week trip

We just got home from a two week trip to PEI to see some relatives and do some sight seeing. The start of the journey should have told us of the troubles to come!!! First we ran into some road work, which in itself isn't a big deal this time of year. Only this time there were some hard to see unmarked really big bumps in the road where the old paving and the construction was being done. When the truck hit the first one all I could do hang on and watch as the trailer bounced in the rear view mirrors.(We were doing less than 25 KPH but it didn't matter) After some discussion we pulled over at the first available opportunity to find the contents of the frig and pantry cupboard all over the floor. Bottom line "really pay more attention to what is going on around you". Ok lesson learned, right? There were several other bits of road work, but these were taken at a much slower rate than the first (to the joy of those behind us) with no noticeable discomfort to the unit or us. When we got to the campground and started getting set up we found more damage than just the dumping of the frig etal. The bathroom linen closet and wardrobe both had shelves collapsed and the contents distributed in other storage areas; IE the water distribution and the water heater compartments. Also the drawer under the rear dinette seat had the bottom dislodged and our pots jammed in the drawer. After taking a close look at the frame, backwall and roof we could not see any further problems. Will have a chat with our dealer tomorrow to see if they want to take a look.

So, with that little set back we looked at doing a local fix (in the campground) so we could use the cupboards etc. only to find there are only two RV dealers on PEI that we could contact for advice and the closest was 40 miles away!! Road trip, right! No!! First the phone call, then the discussion. Answer - they had no idea how to fix the problem and didn't really want to look at it anyway. Being "from away an' all". So, to the local wood store for some wood, screws, a saw and good advise from some old carpenters as to how to secure the shelves that we found to be held in position with latex caulking!!!! Quality control at its best.

Other than some further inconveniences we had fun, until we got home.
I was catching up on the Forum Posts and came across one about someone damaging an axle. After reading the responses to this person's dilemma I thanked myself for reading the material and manuals that came with the trailer. One of which was the owner's manual for the AL-CO suspension and brakes. The obscure note to check the torque on the axle mounts turned out to be an omen. I had checked the axle mounts on the Mini-Lite when it came out of winter storage last spring and in fact found the bolts/nuts to be loose, not finger loose, but certainly not to spec. I have since taken a real hard look at the mounts and rechecked the toque because of our little sorogin through the construction and all is well. However I'm left to muse about what could have been if the axles were loose. Scary thought.

Almost forgot. We got the unit weighed at a CAT scale. Sure nice to know we're not over any limits for the trailer or the truck.

Anyway, we're home, safe and planning some more travelling and meeting new friends. Have a fun and carefree summer everyone.

2011 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 2wd Hemi 3:55 gear
Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2604WS
maggiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #2

Shelves held in only by caulking? now I will take a look at mine as well as checking the torque on a few nuts and bolts I guess.
The road work in Kingston is finally getting finished up I hope
At least you got the trip in and had some fun.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #3

Don't want to sound like a know it all or anything but.................

The cabinet facing material is bonded to the aluminum frame which is actually, part of the structure of the trailer ...I know this because we made fun of our salesman who repeatedly sat on the couch, flipped the overhead cabinet door open, and swung like a monkey from the cabinets to demonstrate this :-)!!

The caulking is just sealing the cabinet face to the adjoining wall and by no means is part of the structure
Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal8312ss View Post

The cabinet facing material is bonded to the aluminum frame which is actually, part of the structure of the trailer ...I know this because we made fun of our salesman who repeatedly sat on the couch, flipped the overhead cabinet door open, and swung like a monkey from the cabinets to demonstrate this :-)!!

The caulking is just sealing the cabinet face to the adjoining wall and by no means is part of the structure
Was this on a Mini-Lite like the OP's? Your avatar photo looks a little....big....to be a Mini-Lite at least.
'12: 27
Rsgtivr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #5

We had several shelves fail in our TT - the bathroom closet and outside storage compartment, and the closet rod in the same closet also came crashing down. DH fixed all three of those (better and stronger than new, I might add) and in addition, he reinforced the shelves of our pantry cabinet, which were woefully inadequate to hold canned goods and other food stuffs. His next project is to reinforce the shelves in our remaining bathroom cabinets and the shelf in the outside kitchen cabinet. I'd hate to see all that JD come crashing down. Next year we may have to replace the countertop in the outside kitchen. By then our TT will be 2 years old; it is already sagging slightly in the middle. He'll put a center support underneath to make it sturdier and construct it with real plywood. I may have to scout out a stainless steel sink and better faucet for that project.....
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #6

re: two week trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcal8312ss View Post

Yes you're correct about how the walls, roof and floor are thermo/vacuum bonded to form a "solid" structure. Our problem is with the interior structure, or lack of, that is meant to support the shelves in the various closets and cupboards with in the trailer. For our application, a Mini-Lite 2304, the shelves have 3/4" X 3/4" (approx) cleats screwed to the supporting wall and cabinet structure to rest on. The shelves are then pin nailed to the cleats and edge sealed with caulking. Again, in our unit more than 50% of the shelves either have no cleat support, cleats that are not screwed to the surrounding structure or were just caulked in place with no support at all!!!! That is how we found the problem, our toilet kits etc ended up in the water distribution compartment behind the toilet.
Our dealer has been made aware of this problem/concern and is in touch with Forest River on our behalf. We have made repairs to the area so we can continue to use the trailer until a "cooperate" solution is put forward.
As an aside, our dealings with our dealer, Parsons Motors, has been exceptional. They have always supported our concerns and gotten problem resolutions either through warranty or themselves with no hesitation for both of the Rockwood products that we have/had. I expect this shortcoming will be no different.
Our biggest frustration, and we expect it to be that of most RV owners regardless of manufacturer, is the lack of Quality Control demonstrated within their respective facilities. Virtually all the problems we have had with our two trailers has been with basic quality in the manufacturing process. The design, floor plans and equipping of the various units is acceptable for what each purchaser is looking for to meet their individual needs. But for the price that we, as consumers are required to pay for our leisure it is rapidly becoming too excessive because of the quality of the product. Most of us doesn't mind paying if the quality is there. For us, we like our unit and will retro-fit and modify the trailer to replace the frustratingly poor quality of manufacture. If I was an employee of one of these companies I'd be ashamed of the product I was producing, but such is the mind set of the "big" N. American market place. They don't appear to care to fix the systemic problem but will appease those that are willing to complain. I guess it is corporately cheaper.
For those that have read this far in our rant we thank you. To those that want to see the photos of quality American workmanship you're welcome to email us.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiek View Post
For those that have read this far in our rant we thank you. To those that want to see the photos of quality American workmanship you're welcome to email us.

Maybe you should post the pictures here.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Maybe you should post the pictures here.
Unable to post pic's using this connection. The campsite wifi is too weak to do much up/down loading. will post file when we get home on the weekend.

So til then
Old 08-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #9

Sorry to hear of the problems you are having and hope they get fixed up. We have a few ourselves but like you said the dealer { Parsons } has treated us really well also
Old 08-30-2012, 02:34 PM   #10

I'm willing to bet what was thought to be latex caulking was more likely to be construction adhesive....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote