Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 PM   #1

Space behind the Murphy Bed

My husband and I just purchased the new 2507s mini lite. Our only concern is the space behind the couch (that goes straight down to the pass thru compartment). We have 2 small dogs that sometime likes to lay in the back of couch and we are concerned they will fall down in the space behind the couch. Has anyone ever made something to put in that space during the day while it is the couch??
Thank you
Jessrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:31 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I'm sure someone on here has made something,
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessrose View Post
Has anyone ever made something to put in that space during the day while it is the couch??
we solved that problem by my wife making two large tube pillows that sit on the back of the sofa, closing up that space, ... we now cover those with two matching colorful towels and they serve as very nice head rests when sitting on the sofa, ... PLUS, those same pillows are also used to fill the space at the head of the MB when the bed is down for sleeping, ... we push them into that space, down to mattress height, and doing that actually extends the bed length about 5-6"s, ..... we love the results ......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0188.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	129835   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0194.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	129836  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
we solved that problem by my wife making two large tube pillows that sit on the back of the sofa, closing up that space, ... we now cover those with two matching colorful towels and they serve as very nice head rests when sitting on the sofa, ... PLUS, those same pillows are also used to fill the space at the head of the MB when the bed is down for sleeping, ... we push them into that space, down to mattress height, and doing that actually extends the bed length about 5-6"s, ..... we love the results ......
X2. But we used 5-1/2" x 6-1/2" x ~32" foam. 2 pieces.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:51 PM   #5

Quote:
How much do you charge for a pair? Can I pick my own fabric?
I'm barely kidding.... [emoji6]
aeblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:43 AM   #6
Canoeing and camping fun

Body pillow

Have a body pillow that we used to keep a grandson from falling off of a bed. When we pick up our new TT (2503S) from the dealership in April plan to try that to fill in the space. Hubby is 6'4" so adding some length to the MB will be beneficial. If the body pillow doesn't work I'll be getting the sewing machine out.
Jean D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 06:56 AM   #7

We have a body pillow too. Will have to try it.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
How much do you charge for a pair? Can I pick my own fabric?
I'm barely kidding.... [emoji6]
DW considers that a very nice compliment and says "thank you", ... it was a project of trial and error, ... they are 10-11" dia. and very firm, stuffed with old pillow stuffing and sewing scraps, ... the first one was one piece, full length, and was just too long to deal with, ... she cut that in half and the two work great for us, ... we wanted them big enough to have a real firm fit into that space at the head of the MB, so our bed pillows could be there and have no worry of them sliding on down, ... plus the neck/head rest they give for the sofa is very comfortable, ... not all ideas turn out as intended, this one did and we love the results, ....

Old 02-14-2017, 10:35 AM   #9

Quote:
DW considers that a very nice compliment and says "thank you", ... it was a project of trial and error, ... they are 10-11" dia. and very firm, stuffed with old pillow stuffing and sewing scraps, ... the first one was one piece, full length, and was just too long to deal with, ... she cut that in half and the two work great for us, ... we wanted them big enough to have a real firm fit into that space at the head of the MB, so our bed pillows could be there and have no worry of them sliding on down, ... plus the neck/head rest they give for the sofa is very comfortable, ... not all ideas turn out as intended, this one did and we love the results, ....
I'll try the body pillow, but you may be hearing from me again... [emoji1]
Old 02-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #10

We have cats and they liked to go behind the couch. The only problem is that we had to be very cautious when opening the outside compartments because they could and once did get out there.

For the Murphy bed, I replaced the small board at the head of the bed with a shelf that was 12 inches wide. This helped with the gap, but it was still big enough for the cats to get down there. NOTE:There is no outlet from that space, and it's very hard to snag an unwilling cat. I used a fat pool noodle to fill the space when the bed was down. You'll also find that a small dog or cat can get into the space behind the bed when it is in the up position. We used to stack books so the cats couldn't get back there. I did try installing bungee nets to block the access and it seemed to help.

As I stated in yesterday's post, we had one of our cats go behind the slide out when it was pulled in and had a very hard time getting him out. Small dogs could get in there, but probably would come out when called. A good rule that I've read is to be sure all animals are crated when opening and closing the slide out.
2012 Ford F-150 Eco-Boost
2021 Ford F-250 Super Duty
OscarsMom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:27 PM   #11

I designed and built an excellent folding shelf in our 2304KS.
WASTED AN HOUR WRITING DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS HERE ONLY TO Have THEM LOST IN TRANSMISSION.
IF you can email me at guitarmechanic@att.net I will send you instructions and photos.
Denny B
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarsMom2 View Post
NOTE:There is no outlet from that space, and it's very hard to snag an unwilling cat.
I had to repair a broken weld on our bed frame and also redo FR's sloppy install of the MB's piano hinge, so I had to get into that area, ... going thru the outside storage compartments on each side, I cut the paneling on each side and now have easy access when needed for cleaning, dust bunnies do grow in the strangest places, ... those panels can now be removed and replaced as needed, ... they are very thin and cut easily with a carpet knife or hacksaw blade, ... doing that would make cat roundup a cinch, ...

Old 02-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
X2. But we used 5-1/2" x 6-1/2" x ~32" foam. 2 pieces.
Do you have a picture of your foam pieces?! And do they fit snug behind the couch!!
Jessrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #14

Quote:
Do you have a picture of your foam pieces?! And do they fit snug behind the couch!!
Here's a pic. Yes, they fit pretty well. Not being square, you have two choices of sizes to use; if it's too loose with the small size, flip it 90 degrees and use the large size. We've been using it the large way.

DW wasn't going to cover them until we'd used them a couple times, which we have, so now she's starting to think about what fabric to cover them with.

I'm not sure exactly where she got ours, but I do know you can get it at Jo-Ann Fabrics; I'd guess Michael's or Hobby Lobby would also have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foam #2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	130859  

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:38 AM   #15
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Great ideas for when we get ours this spring! Might do the shelf idea...will have to wait and see. Or will be looking for a body pillow as I don't sew anything other than very minor repairs that require a few stitches.

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:40 AM   #16
Now Camping Year-Round!!

Quote:
My husband and I just purchased the new 2507s mini lite. Our only concern is the space behind the couch (that goes straight down to the pass thru compartment). We have 2 small dogs that sometime likes to lay in the back of couch and we are concerned they will fall down in the space behind the couch. Has anyone ever made something to put in that space during the day while it is the couch??
Thank you
First of all, congrats on the new trailer! We are getting the same one May 1st is our pick up date.

Have you got yours yet? If so, thoughts so far?

2020 RW Signature 8291RK 5er (...May 2021) & 2017 Dodge Ram Laramie 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel 4X4
Still missing my beautiful Columbus2013 Columbus 325RL__2019 Rockwood 2511S__2017 Rockwood ML 2507S__Rockwood Roo 21RS__2009 Wildcat 29RLBS
WannaBcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:48 PM   #17

Smile Great ideas on the filler materials

So many great ideas on the filler materials. Will definitely be using some of these brilliant ideas when we get our 2507S in June.

Thanks for sharing.
Hoosier16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #18

Murphy Bed Gap

Quote:
Thank you
We just took delivery of our Rockwood 2507S a few days ago from Wana RV in Shipshewana, IN and stayed in it a couple of nights to get it set up. This is our first Murphy Bed and found it was very comfortable with a mattress topper. You all are right about loosing your pillows in the gap. We will definitely try figuring out a remedy on this situation. We love the RV and have plans to do some big trips this summer.
Old 06-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #19

Murphy bed shelf and headboard

I designed and installed a flip up shelf and a flip up headboard for the Murphy bed in our 2017 2304KS. I've emailed instructions and photos to about 10 people who were interested.
It is not a difficult project provided you are reasonably handy.
If you are interested? My email address is guitarmechanic@att.net
Denny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #20

Murphy Bed Mod Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I designed and installed a flip up shelf and a flip up headboard for the Murphy bed in our 2017 2304KS. I've emailed instructions and photos to about 10 people who were interested.
It is not a difficult project provided you are reasonably handy.
If you are interested? My email address is guitarmechanic@att.net
Thank you Denny B. We have sent you an E-mail requesting the information. We appreciate you sharing. 😀

Tags
bed