Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 09:49 PM   #1

Squeaky Slides

Hi everyone we have an 8329ss which we just love, but we've noticed the slides squeak very loudly when they're extended or retracted. Is this normal? The slide on our previous trailer (with half slide) did not squeak like this. I'm a little worried about the squeaking which I think is excessive and getting worse. Should I be lubricating the mechanism and if so can someone tell me how? Thanks,
Breimert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #2

These vids will explain it. There are several good ones on YouTube.

Also this thread here on the forum is helpful.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-90774.html
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:21 PM   #3

Thanks for your help but in my case the issue is not lubrication. I checked and there is plenty of lubrication there but just to be sure I sprayed some additional dry lubricant along all friction points and it made no difference. The squealing only occurs during the last foot of travel (going out) and the first foot to foot and a half (going back in). Seems to be associated with the shifting of the balance point (squeals when the weight shifts toward the outside). I'd appreciate if anyone has an idea what can be done about this. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
WFD

Breimert...we have a Rockwood 8289 and experience the same thing...I have lubed the sliding gears, maintained the rubber seals, but have yet to come up with a solution that solves it.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #5

I called the dealer I had purchased the trailer from today to see what they could do about it. The dealer's technician explained to me that the screeching is due to lack of lubricant on the inboard part of the rack and pinion that is inaccessible since its between the floor and the closed in underbelly. He explained that they ensure the outer part (that you can see) is lubricated, but there is nothing they can do about the concealed part and if the factory did not lubricate it adequately it will squeal the way mine does. He said it won't do any harm but if we can't live with the screeching the only way to deal with it is to remove the underbelly so that lubricant can be applied to the part that is not exposed. After talking to him I had a look and was able to peel back the underbelly from the front of the trailer to expose the rack and pinion for the bedroom slide which I then lubricated with dry lubricant and guess what - Silence!! It'll be a little tricker getting at the other slides as I'll have to cut the underbelly and then patch over it when I'm finished, but now that I know that's the cure I'll plan on doing that when I get some time. Just thought I'd share my findings in the meantime and hopefully this will be helpful to others who are having the same problem.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #6
WFD

Thanks Breimert...thats good to know! In looking at the underbelly on our unit, I think that by removing the screws, I may be able to get alot of it down...will have to take a closer look. As you say, the screeching sound may not hurt anything, but the sound of it is bothersome.

Tags
slide, slide out