Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #1

stabilizer jacks

I'm new to this forum...I just bought a 2011 Rockwood 2604 and just got it home and set it up. I ran my stabilizers down to just stabilize like I used to on my old camper. I noticed while walking inside the camper there was alot of movement. I went to the back of the camper and shock the camper side to side and couldn't believe the movement in the I-beam frame. So...Is this something anybody else is noticing. I know my 97 that I got rid of was alot more stable. Oh, I didn't have to give it much effort to see the movement in the frame.
sschifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:55 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new camper. I can't help you with your queston but there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here and I'm sure your question will get answered.

Enjoy your new camper!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschifer View Post
I'm new to this forum...I just bought a 2011 Rockwood 2604 and just got it home and set it up. I ran my stabilizers down to just stabilize like I used to on my old camper. I noticed while walking inside the camper there was alot of movement. I went to the back of the camper and shock the camper side to side and couldn't believe the movement in the I-beam frame. So...Is this something anybody else is noticing. I know my 97 that I got rid of was alot more stable. Oh, I didn't have to give it much effort to see the movement in the frame.
Same thing here.We have a 2011 2902SS. Get this SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Travel Trailer Stabilizer System
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I could almost bet that your old trailer had springs instead of a rubber torque suspension.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
Site Team

if your trailer has tandem axles, get some between the wheels chocks.
you can make your own for under $20 or buy manufactured ones, like Rotochoks or X-chocks.
this will cut down a lot of the movement.

if you have a single axle, look into a couple of the BAL SINGLE AXLE TIRE LOCKING CHOCKS.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:31 PM   #6

Thanks for the replys. My old camper did have springs. I have a pair of the cheap wheel chocks that you put on either side of the tire. yvesm did you install a set of the steadyfast on your camper. I would think that system would take the twist out of the frame. I'm going to have to do something because the movement is driving me nutts. Another question...out of these two systems: http://www.jtrv.com/index.html or tp://www.steadyfast.com/ which one do you think would be the best. Whats your guys opinions
Old 04-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I would suggest you try the X-Chocks on this page:
Search - chocks - Camping World
Be sure to read the reviews.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:06 PM   #8
Site Team

since it's a tandem axle, i would try the between the wheels chocks, first, before i spent that amount of money for the stabilizer system.
cheap plastic chocks will only keep the wheels from rolling, not from movement.
if you did a search on the subject, you'd find many solved the movement issue with quality wheel chocks, especially those that bought Rotochoks.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #9

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
SteadyFast !! my choice ! .
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:27 AM   #10

I was wondering if anybody as installed a set of the steadyfast. The chocks that go between the wheels look like they would definitly help but seeing how much movement there is where the scissor jacks attach to the frame i would think that they would not solve the problem. Although I would rather spend 100.00 instead of 300.00 to fix the problem. On the other hand i would hate to spend 100.00 than need to spend another 300.00 to totally fix it. I stumped...
Old 04-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #11

I have been doing some searching and I didn't realize this is such a hot topic. When I was shopping for the camper, stabilization was the last thing on my mind ( seeing I didn't have a problem with the old camper). I sure have learned alot with this buying experience. I just hope the camper is what they made it out to be.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #12

I installed Steady-Fast on my Rockwood 8285WS and it made all the difference.
It actually had a torture test of 50 mph side wind while in Mexico. At 50 mph it was still shaking but the Class A's were rocking and a rolling.

$299 with free shipping is work every penny.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #13

The Bal X chocks will fit between the 2 tires where they are the closest to each other, and "lock" them together as one. They are on sale at Camping World right now for 39.95 plus tax. I have one, but 2 would really help matters even better. They eliminate forward and backward movement very well. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #14

Iggy..I assume the 5th wheels have the same I-beam frame as the 2604. Is your rear jacks mounted basically under the back bumper. My forward/backward movement isn't that bad, its the side to side. Where the rear jacks are mounted there is some serious movement. Thanks again for all the replys.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Iggy..I assume the 5th wheels have the same I-beam frame as the 2604. Is your rear jacks mounted basically under the back bumper. My forward/backward movement isn't that bad, its the side to side. Where the rear jacks are mounted there is some serious movement. Thanks again for all the replys.

Yes the rear stabilizer is mounted on the frame that sticks out under the bumper.
You may be able to see more here with my pictures. Hope you can see them all.
Forest River Forums - Iggy's Album: Steady Fast System
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #16

Photos Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesm View Post
Same thing here.We have a 2011 2902SS. Get this SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Travel Trailer Stabilizer System
Do you have any photos of your installaton on the 2902ss?
Did you install it yourself?
I'm thinking of installing this product to eliminate all movement.

Currently I'm using the Universal rv stabilizer from CampingWorld. It helps alot.
Valterra Products - Universal RV Stabilizer - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
Plug It Right

There are several aftermarket stabilizer systems that mount directly on to your 5th wheel. We have had ours on for almost 6 years of fulltiming and it was the best things we ever did. These won't move when you try to shake the RV fer sure. Took about 90% of the movement out. Hugs, Di.

Quote:
Old 04-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #18

Check out ebay--there are some custom made chocks there that really work well to take out most of the movement--they're called Easy Chock Wheel Locks. I've used them for 3 years and they really stabilize a trailer well.

2005 Rockwood 8280ss
2003 GMC 1500 Extended Cab "Dwight" (sold)
2005 Dodge Ram 2500HD QC4x4 Cummins "Brutus"
Drawtite Brake Controller
16K Pullrite Superglide
NWC72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRV'er View Post
Do you have any photos of your installaton on the 2902ss?
Did you install it yourself?
I'm thinking of installing this product to eliminate all movement.

Currently I'm using the Universal rv stabilizer from CampingWorld. It helps alot.
Valterra Products - Universal RV Stabilizer - Stabilizing Jacks - Camping World
I have photos and will post them in a day or 2
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:40 PM   #20

I am new to travel trailers. I bought a Wildwood 26tbss with 4 stabilizer jacks. I was told to lower the jacks till they hit the groung nd then stop. This does not level out the trailer, I was told by the dealer to put a small plastic or wooden plank under the wheels to level out the trailer. The dealer said if you try to raise the trailer I will damage the jacks. Is this the correct way to use the jacks?
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote