Old 04-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #1

stabilizer jacks

I'm new to this forum...I just bought a 2011 Rockwood 2604 and just got it home and set it up. I ran my stabilizers down to just stabilize like I used to on my old camper. I noticed while walking inside the camper there was alot of movement. I went to the back of the camper and shock the camper side to side and couldn't believe the movement in the I-beam frame. So...Is this something anybody else is noticing. I know my 97 that I got rid of was alot more stable. Oh, I didn't have to give it much effort to see the movement in the frame.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new camper. I can't help you with your queston but there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here and I'm sure your question will get answered.

Enjoy your new camper!

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschifer View Post
I'm new to this forum...I just bought a 2011 Rockwood 2604 and just got it home and set it up. I ran my stabilizers down to just stabilize like I used to on my old camper. I noticed while walking inside the camper there was alot of movement. I went to the back of the camper and shock the camper side to side and couldn't believe the movement in the I-beam frame. So...Is this something anybody else is noticing. I know my 97 that I got rid of was alot more stable. Oh, I didn't have to give it much effort to see the movement in the frame.
Same thing here.We have a 2011 2902SS. Get this SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Travel Trailer Stabilizer System
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I could almost bet that your old trailer had springs instead of a rubber torque suspension.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant

if your trailer has tandem axles, get some between the wheels chocks.
you can make your own for under $20 or buy manufactured ones, like Rotochoks or X-chocks.
this will cut down a lot of the movement.

if you have a single axle, look into a couple of the BAL SINGLE AXLE TIRE LOCKING CHOCKS.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #6

Thanks for the replys. My old camper did have springs. I have a pair of the cheap wheel chocks that you put on either side of the tire. yvesm did you install a set of the steadyfast on your camper. I would think that system would take the twist out of the frame. I'm going to have to do something because the movement is driving me nutts. Another question...out of these two systems: http://www.jtrv.com/index.html or tp://www.steadyfast.com/ which one do you think would be the best. Whats your guys opinions
Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I would suggest you try the X-Chocks on this page:
Search - chocks - Camping World
Be sure to read the reviews.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
Moderators' Assistant

since it's a tandem axle, i would try the between the wheels chocks, first, before i spent that amount of money for the stabilizer system.
cheap plastic chocks will only keep the wheels from rolling, not from movement.
if you did a search on the subject, you'd find many solved the movement issue with quality wheel chocks, especially those that bought Rotochoks.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:41 PM   #9

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
SteadyFast !! my choice ! .
Old 04-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #10

I was wondering if anybody as installed a set of the steadyfast. The chocks that go between the wheels look like they would definitly help but seeing how much movement there is where the scissor jacks attach to the frame i would think that they would not solve the problem. Although I would rather spend 100.00 instead of 300.00 to fix the problem. On the other hand i would hate to spend 100.00 than need to spend another 300.00 to totally fix it. I stumped...