Old 06-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
stacker jacks, scissor jacks, bottle jacks, oh my!

I'm really beginning to regret buying the bigger Rockwood that we did. We have a seasonal site and the trailer will not be moved. We have a 2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315SS that came with electric stablizing jacks on the back and front. They do not work. The trailer is perfectly level side to side and front to back, that is not a problem. The problem is movement. We added X Chocks to the wheels and now the wheels absolutely do not move whereas before they did.

The problem is anytime anyone walks (including my mom who weighs like 100 pounds soaking wet ) the trailer moves (probably up and down). The salesman doesn't seem to understand and he asks well is it side to side or up and down? I dunno it just moves, moves so much that a glass of water shows the vibration.

I noticed a lot of trailers have scissor jacks under them, hubby says they need to be installed at the dealer and he is not willing to have it pulled (we can't pull it). What about the old fashioned stacked jacks? That's the type we had on our old trailer and that puppy never moved.

Hubby is thinking about bottle jacks, but I thought they were for temporary repairs and not for a permanent solution. I'm at my wits end, as my dealer isn't hearing me, my husband is tired of hearing me, and I have lupus which results in nausea at times, and this movement is literally making me sick. I'm afraid I've made a 30K mistake!

Can anyone suggest the jacks which might stop the movement? Thanks alot - tory

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315SS
We're Chipmunks at Morris Meadows
Tory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
get the sisors jacks but don't mount em to the trailer. Put a set at the back and another in front of the wheels. the toung jack and front stabilizers should hold that end just fine with htese extras installed. Snug em to the frame and you should be good to go. The existing jacks that are hard mounted should hold most of the wobble for you, your just getting the last bit out so why hard mount the extra jacks?

Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
The problem you are having is because of the way the jacks are installed. Look under the trailer and inspect the supports, you may find that the angle iron that supports the scondary part of the jacks is only attached from one side of the trailer frame to the other and no stiffer in the center. This angle iron bens in the middle as the weight of the camper moves with motion from the inside. The engineering of these jacks need to be changed by Forest River by using a different support system in the middle of the camper, front and rear. I called Forest River and complained, but there has been no change as a matter of fact I have a 2006 8314ss and was able to make some mods but the rocking is still there but not as bad. After 2006 I notice that Forest River did make a change and added a longer piece of angle iron across the front of the camper from left to right but they made it worst. The sissor jacks are the best way to go because they mount right on the frame and have no secondary support system that requires there operation. An Idea!!! have someone walk or jump around in the camper while you are out side looking at the supports, you will see where the movement is coming from. I bet a dollar to a donut you will see the angle iron flex.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Forget jacks, too expensive. Go to Lowe's and buy some cement blocks and block the frame solid, like they do a mobile home. 4 jacks at $60 each equals $240. Block are around $2 each. at three per corner that's 9 block, about $20. Since you're not moving the trailer, this would be most cost efficient in my opinion.
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Harbor Freight has the jacks for $30 ea

2-1/4 Ton Trailer Stabilizer Jack
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
I agree with windrider. I have seen this on many of the permanent campers where we go. They have been there for years and I don't hear of any problems. Good Luck!
Donna=Me Tom=DH
2 DD's-grown, 1 DS grown, 1 DIL
4 DGD's, 1 DGS, 1 Pekingese(7/1/1999-6/18/2016)
2011 Shamrock 23ss
2000 Suburban 1500 4 X 4
ngts camped 2016-24 so far. reservations for 11 more
ilovecamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
You could always go to the local car scrap yard, in every vehicle they always put useless car jacks that never would lift a car or truck safely but they sure work good for the campers and i bet they have thousands of jacks..I got mine free give that a try..
chico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
Don't buy the jacks, use cinderblocks and wood shims, like windrider stated, if you physically can't do the job, any handyman contractor could do it, also call the local dealer for manufactured homes, ask them who does the set-ups and call them
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
we have an 8315SS set up at a permanent site in chincoteague,va. i have it set up with cinder blocks and shims under both axles and the cantilever jacks snugged down at the front and back.of course the tongue jack is also snugged down. we have never had any problem with the trailer moving.
we live in baltimore,md and bought our trailer at Day's in joppatown.......(6 months before they closed down!)
realebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
I also agree with windrider.

A permanent site set-up should be on cinder blocks, just as a Mobile Home is.
It's the cheapest and most reliable method of supporting a trailer on a permanent site.

milzat is offline   Reply With Quote