Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #1

SteadyFast vs BAL LockArm vs JT StrongArm stabilizers

We recently purchase a new Rockwood UltraLite 8281WS 5er (first trip coming up this week), and I've been thinking about ordering some stabilizers.

Has anyone installed these on a Rockwood 5er, and if so what are your impressions, and how was the install ?

I read that for the BAL install some customizations had to be made because of the chassis/frame design. I'd like to know if the same is true for the other stabilizers.

Hoping to get a good idea of the pros/cons of each, to help decide which to order.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #2
Owner/Operator

There is another Stabilizer that you did not mention. The Ultra Fab Eliminators.

I installed these on my 8289WS (similar to your 8281WS) and I'm very pleased with their stability. They were also less expensive than some of the other brands.

Here is a link to my write up on their installation (Post #14 of this thread):

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...s-36212-2.html

There is a link to the pictures within that Post.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
https://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
There is another Stabilizer that you did not mention. The Ultra Fab Eliminators.

I installed these on my 8289WS (similar to your 8281WS) and I'm very pleased with their stability. They were also less expensive than some of the other brands.
Thanks, I hadn't seen those. I'll take a look
Old 08-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Thanks, I hadn't seen those. I'll take a look
Looks like a very nice install, and relatively straight forward.
As you say the chassis/frame of my 8281WS should be near identical to yours. I like the fact that you could get to the mount point for the front leg supports through the storage compartment (I haven't yet checked how easy that liner is to remove tho).
I wasn't quite clear on the center mounts for the front leg stabilizers. I see you left the skirtingin place, but you said you were able to get a stiffener or brace plate between that and the chassis ? I'm guessing the bolts for those stabilizers go through into the front storage compartment (where the battery is) ?

I assume you're happy with the level of stabilization they provide ?

Definitely seems like a nice setup. I also like that they have the T bar tighteners rather than the bolt head on the BAL.

The SteadyFast only has the 3 points to tighten, but to be honest I'm not convinced whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.

I'm really surprised that Forest River (or other manufacturers) don't seem to provide these as standard or even options, since I'd think it would be a good differentiator for their RVs
Old 08-03-2015, 11:00 PM   #5
Always Learning

I've had UltraFab Eliminatirs and the SteadyFast system. By far, the SteadyFast system is better. But my 42' Sabre fifth-wheel still has movement with it. Just less than the UltraFab.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:01 PM   #6
Always Learning

And, Sabre offers JT StrongArms on the rears as an option.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've had UltraFab Eliminatirs and the SteadyFast system. By far, the SteadyFast system is better. But my 42' Sabre fifth-wheel still has movement with it. Just less than the UltraFab.
Thanks for the feedback.
I was wondering how the fewer (only 3) braces, but longer, braces of the steadyfast system would compare to the others that use 4 or 6 (4 front, 2 rear) braces.
Were those both used on the same trailer at different times or were they on different trailers ? (Just wondering if some of the difference may be down to trailer construction of different trailers)
leefl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 08:12 AM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Were those both used on the same trailer at different times or were they on different trailers ? (Just wondering if some of the difference may be down to trailer construction of different trailers)

Same trailer. My dealer initially installed the UltraFab Eliminators before I took delivery of the camper. I used them for 3 seasons and then swapped them out for the SteadyFast system. I wasn't happy with the amount of movement with the UltraFab and wanted a change. (Full disclosure is also that I got a discount on the SteadyFast system in order to do a review - good or bad - on my blog.)

For the SteadyFast, I like that there are just 3 bars. The handles are more comfortable in your hand to tighten the bars. Both kinds, the handles sort of suck to reach with my camper SteadyFast's marketing says they're easier to reach- but that doesn't entirely hold true on my camper. It might be slightly easier, but it's comparing bad to worse.

I've had issues with both due to salt covered roads and the camper being towed on them due to factory returns. SteadyFast's instructions says to lubricate a part and I didn't do that. I had to have someone clean up the threads this season because the handle seized up on me. The same basic thing happened with the UltraFab.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #9

Quote:
We recently purchase a new Rockwood UltraLite 8281WS 5er (first trip coming up this week), and I've been thinking about ordering some stabilizers.

Has anyone installed these on a Rockwood 5er, and if so what are your impressions, and how was the install ?

I read that for the BAL install some customizations had to be made because of the chassis/frame design. I'd like to know if the same is true for the other stabilizers.

Hoping to get a good idea of the pros/cons of each, to help decide which to order.

Thanks in advance
I have installed the Steady Fast on my trailers, it's the best system out there...rock solid. I did replace the cheap imported scissor jacks with the Bal
"Classic Leveling jacks" (deluxe 4''-30'' version). Great setup
Days camped in 2015...more than 2014!!
yvesm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:01 PM   #10

I only today came across the Winfield Landing Leg Cross-braces
LANDING LEG CROSS BRACES

These look really interesting to me since it's pretty much what I was thinking of making myself. I like the fact that they're cross-braces that cross the width of the trailer (unlike the BAL/JT/UltraFab which seem to only go from each leg to the center) and cross both ways (unlike the SteadyFast which only has one side-to-side brace).

I also like that there's no drilling involved. (I was thinking of making something to clamp to the top of the front landing leg tubes, rather than drilling into the frame, which is exactly what these do))

I know they won't do anything much for front-back (see-saw/rocking) movement, since there's no front-back brace, but thought that perhaps I could combine with X-chocks and/or a single pair of BAL lock-arms for front-to-back rocking (fitted to either the front legs if I can mount them and the cross-braces together, or to the back power stabilizers), or even just with a tripod (which if I understand correctly help with front/back rocking, but not the side-to-side, which is solved by these braces)

Thoughts ?

Tags
stabilizers