Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 06:17 AM   #1

Still Radio Antenna issues

Hello, I tried to tie my radio antenna into the tv antenna via an F type connector and splitter as recommended on other post. The reception is still no different. Does anyone have any other ideas to try.
Rockwood 8329SS
BGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:51 AM   #2

Did you activate the t.v. antenna switch? It is the wall plate that your t.v. is connected to. A light will come on when activated.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:14 AM   #3

Radio antenna

Yes, I tried both ways with the antenna booster on and off???
Old 05-22-2016, 07:16 AM   #4

The only way that I am getting any better reception is when I plug in the new F Type connector that has about 4' of coax attached and just lay it in the area behind the radio.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:31 AM   #5

Are you sure you are putting F connector on the antenna coax? There is two splitters in my unit and I had to add a third. Had to make sure I was splitting the right coax. I did this by finding a clear t.v. channel and started pulling off coax until I lost t.v. picture.

Hensley Arrow
Old 05-22-2016, 08:21 AM   #6

Yep, I did the same thing. I removed the cable until the tv lost the picture and then I touched the radio connection directly to the antenna cable.... That's what's so crazy about not having better radio reception and stumping me...I really don't know what else to try. The radio cable has stranded wire so I'm having to twist the wire together so that it make one bigger strand and i'm touching it to the center pin on antenna coax and no difference.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #7

Are you using one of these?
F-Type Jack to RCA male Plug Adapter | 27-5695 (275695) | Distributed By MCM

Hensley Arrow
Old 05-22-2016, 10:37 AM   #8

Are you positive the radio antenna is connected to the radio? I've seen stranger things happen.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:33 AM   #9

The factory radio antenna in this unit is horrible. What we're trying to do is use the TV antenna to get radio reception. This is easily done with a F connector to RCA jack adapter. This is a plug and play setup, remove original radio antenna wire push it back out of the way not to be used again. Find t.v. anntenna coax you need to split that signal into two feeds one to tv as it was. A second signal goes to f connector to rca adapter that gets plugged into radio.

Hensley Arrow
Old 05-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #10

Ok, I think I am just dumb in this section but here's what I have. I purchased a cable that plugs into the back of the radio and the other end would have plugged into something like a car antenna base. It looks like the F-type connector however it is way to large to work on any TV connection. Therefore, I cut that end off and installed a cable tv adapter on to the end. I install a spliter off of the antenna cable before coming into the booster. I attached the new radio cable to that spliter and nothing good is happening. Hopefully this was done incorrectly and someone can straighten me out. Here is what I purchased from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RP-100...ilpage_o00_s01

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Thanks!!
Old 05-22-2016, 11:52 AM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGoose View Post
Ok, I think I am just dumb in this section but here's what I have. I purchased a cable that plugs into the back of the radio and the other end would have plugged into something like a car antenna base. It looks like the F-type connector however it is way to large to work on any TV connection. Therefore, I cut that end off and installed a cable tv adapter on to the end. I install a spliter off of the antenna cable before coming into the booster. I attached the new radio cable to that spliter and nothing good is happening. Hopefully this was done incorrectly and someone can straighten me out.
Get the adaptor uhduh wrote about. You have too many variables in your set up (IMHO).
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:57 AM   #12

Hi,

I have had great success in improving the miserable AM radio reception in my Silverback 33RL by clipping on a retractable shortwave antenna wire that I had laying around.

I had tried adding a ground plane to no good effect, and then played around with a small wire attached to the antenna stub (that's all it really is on mine) with an alligator clip. That seemed to help slightly, which gave me the cue to try the shortwave gizmo, which retracts into a small reel when not in use. I simply clamp it onto the antenna and let the wire extend down to the ground, then unclamp and reel it in when I break camp.

Might not work for everyone, but it sure did for me.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #13
Retired Techie

Tv antenna will never work good for AM. UHF,VHF (tv) and FM bands are way higher than AM. Older units used a car type antenna mounted on roof.
moligney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:46 AM   #14

I used the wire from MCM electronics and I have noticed a significant difference in my radio reception. Last year I was lucky to get 2 stations when it scanned and now I have over 10, I tried going through with the splitter behind the wall but found it was easier to add a splitter behind the tv and feed it to the radio.

Phil
2017 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.7L Powerstroke
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhduh camping View Post
Did you activate the t.v. antenna switch? It is the wall plate that your t.v. is connected to. A light will come on when activated.
Here is what I did on my 26VFKS. I had crappy radio reception. I like AM and FM radio. The problem with these fiber glass shell TT's is that the antennas are not grounded properly. SO I go on the roof, unscrewed the antenna ball joint. And wrapped a stripped ground wire around the antenna mounting screw. Then ran the other end of the wire to the roof mount AC unit and attached that end of the wire to a screw in the AC mounting frame. Replaced the ball joint screw and get pretty decent reception!
NOTE to FOREST RIVER! fix his problem! It is a design/engineering problem that you need to correct!

2016 26VFKS TT
2015 F250 Super duty.
ornery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:13 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ornery View Post
Here is what I did on my 26VFKS. I had crappy radio reception. I like AM and FM radio. The problem with these fiber glass shell TT's is that the antennas are not grounded properly. SO I go on the roof, unscrewed the antenna ball joint. And wrapped a stripped ground wire around the antenna mounting screw. Then ran the other end of the wire to the roof mount AC unit and attached that end of the wire to a screw in the AC mounting frame. Replaced the ball joint screw and get pretty decent reception!
NOTE to FOREST RIVER! fix his problem! It is a design/engineering problem that you need to correct!

2016 26VFKS TT
2015 F250 Super duty.
This antenna, in question, is mounted on the side wall of a slide. Not saying grounding it is impossible, but this way was a little easier for me. This is also now using roof mounted antenna. Personally I have never used AM radio.

Hensley Arrow
Old 05-24-2016, 02:58 PM   #17

Moligny is correct

The above poster is correct. You will not get AM reception using the TV antennae. However the FM should have increased tremendously. Make sure you are using a TV signal splitter and not a cable signal spiltter. If I recall my set up correctly, you will need 2 of them. Split the RV ant. and connect back to TV. then connect to second splitter to the original splitter. Connect second splitter to radio. Do not connect the original ant to anything. The empty connection is for the second TV. if needed. Again I think that is how I had to it. Because, the manufacturer ran the wrong antennae wire for my radio and decided to make a split someplace in the wall which didn't hold up. I mean really it is a travel trailer after all. If you don't have 2 TV's you can probably use 1 splitter just use the right one. It is a lot of wire to deal with but you can pick it up at your local radio shack with the tool to put the screw ends on. Are there any local Radio shacks left?

Good Luck!
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio