Old 01-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #11

Capt Mike, we purchased the 3065w. I wanted the windjammer with the front kitchen looked great, but I sit on the deal to long and someone else purchased the unit. This one is a good fit with the front v as the bedroom on a slide. Looking forward to using it. I see you are towing with a Chev 2500,any problems ? My tow vehicle is a f250 gas, so far it tows it fine but only short distances. Really looking to warm weather so I can try that rig out, looking forward to some serious down time. Thanks for all the responses I am sort of leaning toward plastic ware with only a few dishes. Chuck in Va

Old 01-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #12

If it works for you, its fine. Some folks use a F150 for a 35 ft TT and are happy.

We like our 3500 6.7L Diesel towing our 25 ft TT - but that's our choice.

2011 Rockwood Windjammer 2102W
2008 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
(the near max loaded 2006 F150 5.4L V8 would only go 55 MPH Westbound on I-80 in Wyoming . . . not good when semi's are passing you at 80 MPH)
Chuckinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #13

I have the F150 with Ecoboost and it hauls our TT around just fine. Been from sea level to over 10,000 ft. without issue.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Capt Mike, we purchased the 3065w. I wanted the windjammer with the front kitchen looked great, but I sit on the deal to long and someone else purchased the unit. This one is a good fit with the front v as the bedroom on a slide. Looking forward to using it. I see you are towing with a Chev 2500,any problems ? My tow vehicle is a f250 gas, so far it tows it fine but only short distances. Really looking to warm weather so I can try that rig out, looking forward to some serious down time. Thanks for all the responses I am sort of leaning toward plastic ware with only a few dishes. Chuck in Va
We towed our last trailer with a Silverado 1500, almost new, and used it for our first trip with the Windjammer. One trip through the Smokies convinced us that the 1/2 ton truck wasn't enough "horse" for the Windjammer. The 2500 with a 6.0L gas engine and heavy-duty tow package does just fine with this trailer. I didn't particularly want a diesel, and this gasser fit the bill perfectly. We made an extended trip to Texas with this truck and trailer and loved it. Not the best mileage in the world - maybe 8.5 to 9 towing around 60 mph, but it handles really, really well.

I think your Ford F250 gasser will be a good match for your new Windjammer. Congratulations. C'MON, SPRING!
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax 4X4
ďIt's not how old you are, it's how you are old.ĒJules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post
We use "Corelle" dishes that are break and chip resistant.

And, heavy clear plastic wine glasses.

Carry a small portable 1500 W space heater to use RV Park power for heat at night instead of your propane. You need at least 25 ft of TV cable to connect your unit to the park connection. Get a 10 pack of the yellow plastic 12" x 12" x 1" level blocks. We have a chain and padlock to secure the $250 surge protector to the power supply unit.
We carry 3 or 4 one gallon plastic bottles of drinking water; also have an empty 6 gal water jug in case we need to fill the water tank from a remote supply - we don't drink or cook with water from the RV tank or the city water connection.

Chuck
Is theft of the surge protector a big problems at camp grounds ? Chuck in Va
Old 01-12-2014, 07:50 PM   #16

Chuck, we have never had an issue with theft at a campground but I'm sure some of it goes on. When you think about it, while camping, there is a lot of stuff around your site that isn't locked down and even then, the locks on most trailers aren't really that secure. If someone wants something bad enough--they'll take it or do a lot of damage trying. I just try to be aware of my surroundings and put some faith in mankind.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 01-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #17

Old Car, I try to stay aware of my surroundings. My retired profession of 30 plus years taught me a lot. I try to stay out of that environment to minimize any problems, but anything can happen at a busy campground . I can imagine there is a lot of movement and you really don't know who belongs and who doesn't. I have seen some pics in the photo section where the power hook ups have padlocks on them. Is this normal, does the campground do his to keep someone from stealing power. If not, how would one chain a surge protector to the pole.? Chuck "still in Va "
Old 01-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #18

To be honest, I have never paid attention to the fact if a power box can be locked. Wouldn't surprise me that the feature to be able to do that is built right into the box from the manufactures because of the wide variety of areas they could be used. I'll have to check it out on our next trip. Unfortunately that won't be until April.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 01-12-2014, 09:07 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Firth View Post
Old Car, I try to stay aware of my surroundings. My retired profession of 30 plus years taught me a lot. I try to stay out of that environment to minimize any problems, but anything can happen at a busy campground . I can imagine there is a lot of movement and you really don't know who belongs and who doesn't. I have seen some pics in the photo section where the power hook ups have padlocks on them. Is this normal, does the campground do his to keep someone from stealing power. If not, how would one chain a surge protector to the pole.? Chuck "still in Va "

They sell a heavy plastic lockable device (about $20) that is used at the connection of the surge protector to your power line to the TT. You can either connect a chain to the lock at the plastic device or use a second padlock and run the chain thru the plastic device and around the power tower. With just the plastic device someone could take the surge protector, your power cable and the plastic thingy - that's why I use a chain and lock to the power tower to secure the entire assembly.

Surge Guard Universal Lock Hasp - TRC 34590-001 - Surge Protectors - Camping World

I have never heard of a surge protector being misappropriated but it appears that Campingworld sells a bunch of the lock devices.

2011 Rockwood Windjammer 2102W
2008 Ram Laramie 3500 Megacab 4x4 Cummins 6.7L Turbo Diesel
(the near max loaded 2006 F150 5.4L V8 would only go 55 MPH Westbound on I-80 in Wyoming . . . not good when semi's are passing you at 80 MPH)
Chuckinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #20

I have been checking out surge suppressors on the net, and they range in price on ebay from $88 to around $200. Is more expensive better ? they all seem to have the same features . The reviews are of little or no help, I am sure the RV store will push the more expensive one (imagine that ). I want to protect my tt's power supply, now I am concerned of someone ripping me off at the campground. Boy there is a lot to learn, but I am catching on.. Chuck "still in Va "