Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2015, 08:36 AM   #1

Stop the Revolution or not

I just ordered a new F 250 with an 8ft bed. I have had 2 good years towing our 8280ws with a F 150 ecoboost with a 5.5 ft. bed. I am weighing the benefits of locking the pinbox and removing the wedge vs leaving it as it is. The only advantage I can think of is an easier hitch up, however, we have become very good at lining things up and hitching on the first try. I would appreciate any other thoughts on this.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

We're just talking a few bolts right? Why not give it a try and see for yourself if the difference affects your towing?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 01-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
We're just talking a few bolts right? Why not give it a try and see for yourself if the difference affects your towing?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
The trailer pulled great unlocked. I noticed some side to side motion of the trailer that was not transfered to the truck. I thought that was a an advantage. Perhaps I should give it a try. I was thinking maybe I would gain cargo room in front of the trailer by leaving it free to rotate farther back.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:25 PM   #4

Just out of curiousity did you have airbags on the F150? Looks like a big load on F150
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedaniel View Post
Just out of curiousity did you have airbags on the F150? Looks like a big load on F150
All I had was Roadmaster Stabilizers set to 70% payload. Pin weight was 1300 pounds and the truck handled the trailer with ease. I bought a F250 because I was told a trailer upgrade was in my future.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #6

Nice thing about a swivel hitch

One nice thing about the swivel hitch is I spin it 90' when we are set up and never have to worry about walking into it.
camiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiam View Post
One nice thing about the swivel hitch is I spin it 90' when we are set up and never have to worry about walking into it.
I haven't done that, it's a good idea and one more reason to keep the pinbox revolving.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
I haven't done that, it's a good idea and one more reason to keep the pinbox revolving.
It seems that this is only true for some folks. Others report that the pin gets too stiff to move by hand.

A benefit to the revolution is that you could potentially mod up a tonneau cover while towing. OldCoot has a snazzy setup.

A benefit to locking the revolution is you can use a pin box bike hitch now.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
It seems that this is only true for some folks. Others report that the pin gets too stiff to move by hand.

A benefit to the revolution is that you could potentially mod up a tonneau cover while towing. OldCoot has a snazzy setup.

A benefit to locking the revolution is you can use a pin box bike hitch now.
A pinbox bike hitch is a great idea, especially with the additional cab clearance we have.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #10

By moving the pivot point your also changing the tire track when cornering and will have to make allowances for that. But a person can learn and adapt to new characteristics.

Why did you decide to go with the longer bed?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster 84 View Post
By moving the pivot point your also changing the tire track when cornering and will have to make allowances for that. But a person can learn and adapt to new characteristics.

Why did you decide to go with the longer bed?
We are planning to go to a full slide model in a couple of years for full timing. I needed to replace the 2012 F 150 which served us well. The new truck is a beast that can handle up to a 16000 lb fifth wheel. We won't go that big, 10-12k is most likely.