Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2009, 05:11 PM   #1

Storm Windows and Tinted Safety Glass

We are going to buy a 5th wheel trailer, and we like the 8280SS, and we are wondering if the Storm Windows and Tinted Safety Glass are worth getting. We live in Canada, and intend doing some traveling into Alaska and the Yukon.
The dealer told us that the storm windows would help if we travel into the states and use the A/C a lot. I would like some real world experience before I go for this option.

Thank you
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #2

What you refer to as "storm" windows are really dual pane windows. Just like residential dual pane windows the ones for RVs have a dead air space between two panes of glass which helps to insulate your rig. We wouldn't have another rig without them. No matter if you camp in cold or warm conditions they are an energy saver. The amount of radiated cold coming off of our dual pane windows is much less than with our old single pane windows on our old rig. Tinting is also nice for sunny climates and helps the A/C tremendously by keeping down the amount of sun getting through the windows, they also save your interior from the damaging effects of the sun better than those that aren't tinted.

A strong yes on both counts they are worth it....
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
What he said. Tinting also gives you more privacy.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

Well, here in Atlanta our 8280SS was ordered with tinted safety glass. Wasn't all that concerned about the safety glass aspect, but I'm quite sure the tint takes a bit of load off of the A/C.

I'd be more concerned with double pane in very cold weather. So, if I lived in Canada and wanted to extend my season, I'd go with them. It so seldom gets below freezing here, it doesn't interfere with our camping much to not have double pane.

Regardless where you live, the first thing you do with a new trailer is plug up all the drafty holes with "great stuff" and you'll find plenty of holes to stuff it in.

I blocked off that cabinet door in the entertainment center with the grill in it, using a black plastic trash bag and duct tape. I also laid a piece of blue ridged foam board over the laundry chute hole as that lets in tons of heat/cold. We keep shoes in there now.

Those three things have made a lot of difference in very warm or cool trips we have been on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0957.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1794   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_0308randomstuff0003.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	162.1 KB
ID:	1795  

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #5

Thanks for those replies, we will definitely order the storm windows and the tinted glass.
Radio: Thank you for those suggestions, I really don't see any need for a laundry chute in a trailer. We use a large basket which will live in the tub.
wakamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamicamper View Post
We use a large basket which will live in the tub.
We have smaller baskets we line across the foot of the bed. The bed overhangs the storage area under there by about a foot, so they don't stick out much. We also really like having a place for shoes and hiking boots. There's also no real place to store towels so I added two towel bars in the toilet room. The fan will dry them so they can be used more than once.

You are gonna love the 8280SS. We ordered ours with minimal carpet. Easy to keep clean with a broom and a damp towel.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood