Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 AM   #1

Unhappy Structural support worries/questions

I purchased a 2006 Rockwood RLT8314SS recently, which a few on the forum already know. It has the aluminum frame/fiberglass exterior, which was a must-have for me. Now, I'm starting to worry & I'm on the verge of a mini-freak-out, of a sort. Here is my issue;

I was reading in one of the sub forums, and discovered that my trailer has virtually no inside wall supports, basically the walls are framed with aluminum, but, the rest is laminated materials. I mistakenly thought the walls had aluminum studs throughout. Now, whether or not this is a potential problem, I have no idea. The walls seem strong & solid, but, I now worry about De-lamination over time.

My BIGGEST worry, though, is the roof! Someone posted that there are no rafters! How can this be? When I was up on the roof, sealing the seams, etc., I could plainly see, or so I thought, where the aluminum support studs, rafters, whatever, ran across the roof, one side to the other (right to left) and aprox. 16 to 20 inches between each.

I mean, when I stepped between them, there was some flex in the roof, albeit ever so slight, but, when I stepped where I could make out where each support was, it was more solid, zero give...so I made sure to try & step on the supports instead of between.

Was I mistaken...are there no rafters/supports in the roof? That would make it one solid, laminated piece, surrounded by an aluminum frame. HOW would one perform any type of repairs should part of the roof need to be replaced for whatever reason? Same goes for the walls?

I can plainly see the aluminum supports in the floor, from inside the storage compartment, and I really like the way it's built, from that aspect. The trailer sure feels solid, but, with my tendency to over-think things, (basically I'm OCD when it comes to things like this, it's a curse) I have been nearly non-stop worrying about it now. All sorts of what-if scenarios keep playing in my mind. It's causing me to have regrets about purchasing my Rockwood, and I haven't even begun to live in it yet!!

Will somebody PLEASE help me out here. I have searched online until I literally fell asleep at the keyboard. I can't find any actual info/photos showing the construction process of the 2006 Rockwood's...or ANY Rockwood's, for that matter. I need some reassurance from people with more knowledge & experience than myself. My joy has turned into shades of doubt...not what I expected. If I can at least confirm that the roof has aluminum support rafters throughout, THAT alone will change my mood for the better. My apologies if I come off as a total goofball...
AGENT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:59 PM   #2

Anybody?
Old 07-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #3

Well, never mind. I posted this over on another RV forum & got the answers I needed. All is well, I was worried all about nothing....as usual
Old 07-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #4

What forum did you go to? I'd like to know myself. Thanks Jerry
jkoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoons View Post
What forum did you go to? I'd like to know myself. Thanks Jerry
Here's the link;

The RV Forum Community - Index

And, here's the link to my posted question & replies, if your curious;

Structural support worries/questions; 2006 Rockwood RLT8314SS

Old 07-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #6

Thanks,we've got a new to use 07 8318SS, had some of the same thoughts. Jerry
jkoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #7

A factory tour would be great for you. You would see 1st hand the components & how they are built. I was surprised to see 2 guys on the roof (might have been 3) installing the new roof. I feel a lot more comfortable walking around on mine as a result.