Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
MMCM/SS

Sway or No Sway

I am picking up a 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2618W in two weeks. I am having the dealer install the 10K Equal-I-zer hitch. Since the trailer will be new, it will be empty. Two questions, if the dealer sets up the hitch to my tow with a empty trailer will I have sway or other control problems on the 600 mile trip home? After the trailer is loaded with all the stuff I took out of my old trailer will the hitch have to be re-adjusted?
Tooters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooters View Post
I am picking up a 2014 Rockwood Windjammer 2618W in two weeks. I am having the dealer install the 10K Equal-I-zer hitch. Since the trailer will be new, it will be empty. Two questions, if the dealer sets up the hitch to my tow with a empty trailer will I have sway or other control problems on the 600 mile trip home? After the trailer is loaded with all the stuff I took out of my old trailer will the hitch have to be re-adjusted?
I would imagine, if the dealer sets it up for you based on the loading at that time, it should be fine on the way home. If you watch them and ask questions, and acquire the instructions on how to set it up when the trailer is loaded, you can readjust if necessary when you get home.
I think it may require a couple of adjustments, before your happy with it, based on reading some of the post in the towing section.
As with anything like this, easy does it, until you gain confidence in yourself, and the set up.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #3

A couple of thoughts. 1st, make sure you get the 4 point Equalizer and not the 2 point. Second, if the correct number of washers are installed- this is mostly dependent upon tow vehicle wheelbase- I think you will most likely be fine. The number of washers affects the tilt of the hitch for more or less force on the weight distribution bars. As the tongue weight increases, the bars push harder placing more weight on the TV. The vehicle should just squat slightly more if you load the trailer up heavy than it did before. I would make sure the camper sits about perfectly level when they install the hitch. This should give you just a VERY slight nose down when towing loaded which is ideal. Maybe recheck the measurements at the wheel wells of the TV after loading up and check the level of the trailer just to be sure. Also try to balance the load of the camper. Don't load all heavy items in the front or rear- distribute the weight evenly, with the idea to have slightly more weight forward of the axles than rearward.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Notoriously, the dealers only do a quick setup with "that looks about right". You will need to check the setup at home regardless.

The guys that installed my WDH only restored 60 lbs. of the "lost" 300 lbs. to my front axle. And I thought the truck drove pretty good coming back from the dealer. Since then, I have adjusted and tweaked my system to operate at peak performance.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 AM   #5

You will need to adjust when loaded. I have a front storage compartment on my camper. I have a lot loaded in there which increases the tongue weight. The trip home from the dealer was fine. They told me I would need to readjust once loaded. I thought I had added a link in the chain (blue ox sway pro) but I had it set exactly as the dealer had it set for empty. It was a bit of a bouncy ride. On the trip home I made the correct adjustment resulting in a ride which was much more stable.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong View Post
You will need to adjust when loaded. I have a front storage compartment on my camper. I have a lot loaded in there which increases the tongue weight. The trip home from the dealer was fine. They told me I would need to readjust once loaded. I thought I had added a link in the chain (blue ox sway pro) but I had it set exactly as the dealer had it set for empty. It was a bit of a bouncy ride. On the trip home I made the correct adjustment resulting in a ride which was much more stable.
To change the amount of WD on an Equalizer you have to disassemble the hitch head and change the angle. I still contend based upon experience (and the Equalizer instructions state) that the hitch angle MOSTLY depends upon wheelbase of the TV. I setup a 14K Equalizer for myself and used 5 washers for tilt. When setting up my Mothers 10K hitch on a trailer with 1/2 the TW, I thought I'd need less WD and only used 4. We both have new F150's. Had to go back and install 5th washer in hers- the TV determined the angle, not the TW. If you had a toy hauler, for example, that would experience a significant change in TW percentage and GVW when loaded versus unloaded, I would agree that some changes would need to be made. A standard TT loaded typically and BALANCED properly, I still contend you should be fine. Once again, I would confirm via measurement after loading. I would also confirm the work of the dealership. Look in the instructions and make sure they have the number of washers installed that are correct for your TV type. Confirm that the WD brackets on the trailer are installed per instructions. And make sure the trailer sits LEVEL. You do NOT want it nose down, IMO, unloaded or it will likely sit too far down when loaded. Shoot for perfectly level. Just my .02.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:45 AM   #7

Get it as close as possible as you will be normally using it and use the "chart" to see if it needs to be adjusted. I had the 10k 4-point with our TTs and it was awesome. That along with the brake controller setup correctly and you can barely tell you are towing it.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
To change the amount of WD on an Equalizer you have to disassemble the hitch head and change the angle. I still contend based upon experience (and the Equalizer instructions state) that the hitch angle MOSTLY depends upon wheelbase of the TV. I setup a 14K Equalizer for myself and used 5 washers for tilt. When setting up my Mothers 10K hitch on a trailer with 1/2 the TW, I thought I'd need less WD and only used 4. We both have new F150's. Had to go back and install 5th washer in hers- the TV determined the angle, not the TW. If you had a toy hauler, for example, that would experience a significant change in TW percentage and GVW when loaded versus unloaded, I would agree that some changes would need to be made. A standard TT loaded typically and BALANCED properly, I still contend you should be fine. Once again, I would confirm via measurement after loading. I would also confirm the work of the dealership. Look in the instructions and make sure they have the number of washers installed that are correct for your TV type. Confirm that the WD brackets on the trailer are installed per instructions. And make sure the trailer sits LEVEL. You do NOT want it nose down, IMO, unloaded or it will likely sit too far down when loaded. Shoot for perfectly level. Just my .02.
I was not commenting on anything other than an adjustment will most likely be needed once loaded. I can only comment on my personal experience using my set up. I do not have any of the same equipment as the original poster of this thread so I can not tell them how to set up or adjust their equipment. I was just giving my opinion based on my experience in hopes that the poster would find something in there that they could use to check their equipment.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:18 PM   #9

Xbox
loyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooters View Post
After the trailer is loaded with all the stuff I took out of my old trailer will the hitch have to be re-adjusted?
Maybe, maybe not. I rechecked everything on my 2604WS after loading and didn't have to readjust. Trailer rides level, WD bars parallel to trailer A-frame and the road, front of TV rides within range as described by the Equalizer set up procedure.
What you will need to do is recheck the torque of all the nuts and bolts after a tow or two. A few of mine loosened considerably.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway