Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #1

Technical Drawings

Is there a site or place where drawings, with measurements of different trailers reside? If not I would love to see a set of good three view drawings posted some where.

There are many times when I would like to know accurate measurements of our trailer. I would think that drawings exist for use in the construction process. It would be helpful to be able to access them.

I would love to have a set of construction drawings for our new Mini Lite 2503S.
SkipBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipBest View Post
Is there a site or place where drawings, with measurements of different trailers reside? If not I would love to see a set of good three view drawings posted some where.

There are many times when I would like to know accurate measurements of our trailer. I would think that drawings exist for use in the construction process. It would be helpful to be able to access them.

I would love to have a set of construction drawings for our new Mini Lite 2503S.
You are not likely to find a complete set of construction drawings, and there are no repositories of any that I know of. Those with caged construction seem to have some drawings available as do those built stick-frame with aluminum siding. The composite sides are more or less assembling a box. Not saying you can't get some drawings out of FR, just I don't believe they have full sets for any camper they construct. The only electrical and plumbing diagrams I have ever scene out of FR have been those drawn by hand, and freehand at that.

You can get complete chassis drawings from Lippert if you figure out how to navigate to the right contact in the company.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #3

Techanical drawings

Thanks for your reply to my question about technical drawings.

I would think that a company the size of Forest River would have a staffer who could find or create some basic line drawings of their trailers. This would help when owners are working with the environment around their RVs. For example... garage sizes needed, parking slabs, hitch heights, wheel spacing, bridge clearance the list goes on and on.

I guess I am in an odd position since our unit is in the build stage and we won't take delivery until May. I want to make sure that my parking area, here at home, is ready and that the size of the paving will fit our new trailer. I also needed to know the frame size and hitch coupler height to make sure my hitch will fit properly before driving to pick up the new trailer. Once I have the unit here at home I will make a set of drawings as an example to show the value of these "plans."

I am sure that the factory has very complete plans to follow, or I hope they do, during construction. These drawings could easily be simplified for use by owners and even repair facilities.

As an example of the drawings I am talking about here is one... I just ordered a replacement part for my refrigerator and there were several pages of technical drawings on the website showing parts down to the correct screws needed to attach the door handles. This showed me that it would not be too difficult for a giant company like Forest River to have drawings online as well.

Just a thought,
Skip
Old 03-14-2015, 10:01 AM   #4

SkipBest, I certainly understand your point! I work with and develop technical drawings every day. Suffice to say, FR and just about every RV manufacturer does not have them available, and what they do are not at all as you wish. There's not a need for them in the manufacturing process, because I'm sure you've noticed repeats of slide out boxes across units, same cabinets, same appliances, and so on - lots of modular items. Further, they assemble by standard practice meaning workers follow at set of base guidelines for wiring and plumbing. The typical camper is a pretty basic beast regardless of size. That said, and fact I'd love construction drawings to review before purchasing too but know it won't be, let's talk about your concerns.

Dimensions - FR length is coupler to bumper with no racks or spare or ladder; width is out-to-out of the main box and doesn't include lip widths for slide outs, slide toppers, scare lights, awning, vents, etc. - just the box; and, height is grade to top of roof deck at highest point and does not include heights of vents, antenna, air conditioner, etc. Your dealer can get you the depth of the A-frame tube for your model and an approximate coupler height at level. You will really need to set up a weight distributing hitch on the spot regardless of measures, but I understand you need to know if your shank has enough drop/rise and what bracket depth you need. Hope you are not frustrated by the reality of the industry and these answers are helpful. I'm sure if you post for the direct question of A-frame tube and coupler size for a 2503s here on the forum, an actual owner will answer your questions quickly. Happy Camping!
Old 03-14-2015, 01:36 PM   #5

Drawings

Thanks for your reply,
I don't expect complete construction drawings by any means. I am looking for just a line drawing with the basic measurements of the trailer. I did receive the answer to my hitch question from a fello FROG member and the frame size from the factory, they didn't know the coupler height?? Or were unwilling to tell me what it is. I need to have the correct hitch components before I drive to pick up the trailer.

I doubt that Forest River, or any company manufacturing a product, does anything without a ton of CAD drawings. Once my trailer is delivered I will make some sample drawings and post them to show what I am talking about.

As for a dealer helping out... your dealer must be a lot different than the dealers I have been in contact with during the process of buying our trailer. It seems that all of the dealers are your best friend until they have your check then you are on your own.

Thannks for allowing me to vent 😃

Skip
Old 03-16-2015, 08:16 AM   #6

We'd be interested in the drawings, too. What I wish is that we could find out the dimensions of drawers and cupboards and closets ahead of time. IF we can find the model we want on a relatively nearby lot (we're not ready to buy yet), we'll take some measurements ourselves, but in addition to prepping storage space and all, it'd be nice to be able to prep for some basic mods!
AshnJim is offline   Reply With Quote