Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #11

We looked at a camper in January, on a dealer's lot, covered in snow, in Wisconsin. All 3 TV's that are standard on our model (8293RKSS) were in place. Do you think a dealer removes every television from every trailer on his lot? I think not.....

trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
Do you think a dealer removes every television from every trailer on his lot? I think not.....
OK, once again- Wisconsin has very different winters than Northern Ontario. I picked Appleton and it looks like their average lows in January are 8 degrees F. That is 35-40 degrees warmer than the average low where the OP lives.

As for seeing televisions in trailers; I have never seen one installed in a trailer on dealer lot here in Canada. I think the TV's are actually put in place by the dealer. When I went to visit my trailer when my pickup date was pushed back, the dealer prep checklist was inside. One of the boxes on that checklist was "install TV."

Sorry if I sound like it's ranting, but I don't think we are doing the OP any favours by saying "I live somewhere considerably warmer than you, and I think it is OK." I would like to hear what people who live in colder parts of Canada or Alaska have to say.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #13

We live in NS and had some nights last year get down to -30 c and left our LCD tv in our old trailer.No problems with it when we used it this season,but that was our experience. I don't know if they are the same setup but my truck also has an LCD screen on the radio for the GPS and info and it is very cold in there some days before it gets started.This system also has to go from freezing temps to operational temp in seconds.Just a thought.
1968 Pontiac Le Mans
Malco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042

OK, once again- Wisconsin has very different winters than Northern Ontario. I picked Appleton and it looks like their average lows in January are 8 degrees F. That is 35-40 degrees warmer than the average low where the OP lives.

As for seeing televisions in trailers; I have never seen one installed in a trailer on dealer lot here in Canada. I think the TV's are actually put in place by the dealer. When I went to visit my trailer when my pickup date was pushed back, the dealer prep checklist was inside. One of the boxes on that checklist was "install TV."

Sorry if I sound like it's ranting, but I don't think we are doing the OP any favours by saying "I live somewhere considerably warmer than you, and I think it is OK." I would like to hear what people who live in colder parts of Canada or Alaska have to say.
The I must be imagining all those nights below zero in January.
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:09 PM   #15

i always pull ours out and take them home not only from theft but mostly because it will get colder than -40 here this winter and i dont just mean windchhhhill but acuall air temps
Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
The I must be imagining all those nights below zero in January.
I was comparing averages. So yes, with an average of 8 I would expect a few nights below zero. Their January average is -36 for lows. So for every mild evening at -28, they also have another at -42. As I said my TV is rated for just above 0F; so in an insulated trailer I would also expect to be good down to 5 or 10 below as an overnight low.

Also keep in mind the daytime highs. Those nights when it gets down to -42; it also isn't warming up past -35.

I just think back to when my sister moved from Winnipeg to Wisconsin. They were looking at apartments and my dad noticed the parking lot had no plug-ins. When he asked the landlord; the landlord seemed confused, and then asked "y'all have an electric car?"

Sorry, but this is a bit of a sore spot for me. Having moved between Calgary, Winnipeg, and places colder than Winnipeg*- I often encounter people unaware what the difference between -10F and -40F is. Stuff that you wouldn't expect to break just does. People say "oh, it gets cold in Calgary." And it does. But there is a huge difference between "yikes, that's cold" and "Holy ****- I think I am going to die!"

*- Waiting for TheSasks to comment about how there is nowhere colder than Winnipeg.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:07 AM   #17

[QUOTE=ken0042;130275] People say "oh, it gets cold in Calgary." And it does. But there is a huge difference between "yikes, that's cold" and "Holy ****- I think I am going to die!"

And Calgary proper is warmer than out here. We left the tvs in the rv last winter and yes many nights of minus 40. We did however have a electric oil filled radiator running. Yes the electricity costs a bit of money and I guess the balance is what would it cost time wise to remove electronics, and or repair other cold caused damage (vinyl flooring is also often mentioned as cracking in the extreme cold). We blew out the fresh water system, disconnecting the hoses to the pump to make sure that was water free, removed the water filter, pulled the drain on the water heater and blew out the drains. Also opened the black / grey drains so that any trapped water could escape. That turned out to be a good move, a water jug stored in the shower froze and broke, and the water drained down the shower, but then refroze exiting the rig into a really odd icicle. One difference in this area is the Chinook winds which warm everything on and off throughout the winter. Those winds seem to be Calgary's primary snow removal strategy - They don't plow most neighborhoods and certainly don't use equipment to remove the snow like most normal cities would do. They don't have "snow routes" and people park their snow covered cars on major streets for the duration of the winter leaving narow ice rutted paths.
days camped in 2011: 37 (up to Aug 1st)
2Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:35 AM   #18

Let me get this strait,Water freezes at 32 deg Fahrenheit,0 deg Celsius ,is ICE colder in (Canada)? Youroo!!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Let me get this strait,Water freezes at 32 deg Fahrenheit,0 deg Celsius ,is ICE colder in (Canada)? Youroo!!

Darn tootin it is. Did you ever try iceberg ice in your rum and coke. Lasts forever.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cage5516 View Post
Hey there...I'm in Northern Ontario....gets pretty cold here in the winter...will my 32 inch flat screen be okay in the trailer or should I remove it???
The "liquid" in an LCD is not water.
It is N-(4-Methoxybenzylidene)-4-butylaniline (MBBA) an organic compound often used in liquid crystals.
It has a lower freezing point.

However its operating and storage range is not as low as you might think.

Environment Considerations
Operating Temperature: 32 - 104 degrees F (0 - 40 degrees C)
Operating Humidity: 20 - 80%
Operating Altitude: 0 - 9180 feet (0 - 2800m)
Storage Temperature: 14 - 122 degrees F (-10 - 50 degrees C)
Storage Humidity: 10 - 90%
Storage Altitude: 0 to 9840 feet (0 - 3000m)

This is why when it is cold out, your car GPS display will not display until the car warms up some and it is solid black and dim in the hot sun.

Having said all that IT DEPENDS on how you store your camper. Is it plugged into shore power all winter to keep the battery charged? If so, you may not need to remove any LCD items from your camper because they have "instant on" circuitry that keeps a level of heat in the item.

So depending on your climate and your risk tolerance, you may not need to remove it at all.
Here in PA, USA I pull the TV but not the ZX-700 for example. The TV is used as a spare in the bedroom (I have the stand for it).

If you kill the master power switch or remove the battery you may be more at risk.

More info to answer the "aviation" comment. Not all LC materials are equal. While MBBA is the most common LC material used in "cheap" LCD TVs, more expensive items can use other LC materials that have lower or higher tolerance temperatures. Some can tolerate temps as low as -40C and as high as 85C (but not both from the same LC medium). See attached Document.

Bluebird's comment is most appropriate. See the documentation that came with your LCD item.
Attached Files
File Type: docx Liquid Crystal Display Materials.docx (85.6 KB, 14 views)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote