Old 09-03-2011, 09:02 AM   #1

television in the winter

Hey there...I'm in Northern Ontario....gets pretty cold here in the winter...will my 32 inch flat screen be okay in the trailer or should I remove it???

Old 09-03-2011, 09:09 AM   #2

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
I left ours (32" LCD Flat Screen)on the camper last winter here in Upstate New York. It's a bad boy to get out! So I'm not sure if your supposed to or not...have heard something about freezing the crystals, so maybe I was lucky !

David & Annamarie & 2-Pugs (Fatty and Harley)
2011 Rockwood Windjammer 3065
2011 Ford F-250 6.2- V8
2011 Hensley Arrow "NO-SWAY" Hitch
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
From what I can find online it seems to be that you are good to go down to about -20C, but specifications vary. Also. it appears you have to let the things warm up (thaw out?) to above freezing before using them. Check your documentation or with the manufacturer to be sure. There are too many opinions floating around on the net to take a chance.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 03:22 PM   #4

Read the specs for your TV for what the storage temperature range is.

Then ask yourself this- if it is rated good to -35C and then one night the low is going to be -42; do you really want to be removing it in below -30 weather?

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #5

We left both of ours in the trailer last winter and had no issues at all.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:20 AM   #6

How cold does it get in Oklahoma though? Looking at averages for Tulsa, OK and Dryden, ON- Dryden has averages that are 35 degrees colder December through February.

Where the OP lives; it will get to -40 this winter at some point. That's temperature; not wind chill.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-04-2011, 02:38 AM   #7

We are in the Tulsa area...Averages are one thing...actual is much different. Average for this last month was 87,7...but we had 17 or 19 days over 100. Our winters are generly mild.....but last winter we had a 12" snow and another 12" 7 days later.

I guess we take our chances...If there is a concern...then put them in the house over the winter...I guess.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd INTERNATIONAL F.R.O.G. RALLY Branson. MO.
1st, 2nd, and 4th INTERNATIONAL RALLY Goshen, IN.
BOBFIDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:39 AM   #8

Those temps listed are "operating" temps. Unless you have moisture somewhere, should not be a problem. But... when in doubt, take the safest course. Sure doesn't hurt.
kbrown1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #9

Make sure you have some moisture control - I use DampRID and you're good to go - I am in Ontario and do leave mine and have had no issues.

The previous poster is correct - operating temp is one thing, storage is another. Containers coming over from Asia are not all heated and contain lots of electronic gizmos.

But in the end, it's really up to you.
* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 12:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatared View Post
Containers coming over from Asia are not all heated and contain lots of electronic gizmos.
Right- but once again how cold can it possibly get on a ship at sea? You have the ocean to keep it "warm"- so maybe -5 C (25F).

I just looked at the manual for my TV. It shows an operational range of 5C to 35C; and a storage range of -15C to 60C. A quick search online shows other brands with minimum storage temperatures as low as -25C; and some with minimum storage temperatures of 0C.

For those of you in milder parts of the continent, you would not believe the crazy stuff that starts to happen below -30C. Once when living in Dryden I forgot to plug the car in, and it was -43 outside. I could not plug the car in because the extension cord would not bend to unwind it. I had to bring the cords inside to warm up first.

The other thing to consider- where will the trailer be stored over the winter? I remember back in the spring a few member here said their trailers were broken into, and the TV stolen. At that point it isn't just about replacing the TV, but fixing the damage caused by the break in. (Or the forced removal from the wall.)