Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 AM   #1

The flat panel TV in bedroom...

We have had our 8315SS since June. We have yet to use the flat panel TV that came in our trailer. We didn't have DVD player and getting TV reception at most places we camp was impossible. So I bring a portable 10" screen DVD player and place it on the night stand on a box so we can both see it. Not really best thing.

So I bought just a cheap DVD player and we tried it out over the weekend. However, when you are laying in bed you can't see the pic on the screen. I didn't think about the fact that flat panel TV's need to be viewed straight on, you can't see the screen if you are laying down. The TV is pretty high on the wall.

Anyone else have this issue? I guess the only solution is to by a swivel arm that will adjust side to side and up and down.

If anyone knows of a place to buy one that is a good deal, please let me know. I can't find one under $125.00. And my other question is, can the wall support the weight of the swivel arm? They seem kinda heavy.

Thanks!

Rebecca

Ted & Rebecca
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8315SS (Cream Cabinets)

10 year old Lab - Morgan
1 year old Basset Hound - Lola

2 Teenage Sons

Interior Designer for homes & RV's - Love my Job!
the happy hour oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
I bought one from eBay last year. In fact this is the mount and seller I bought from.
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal...QQcmdZViewItem

Same price, but I paid $10 for shipping. Total was under $30, and it holds up to 40 lbs.

I'm very happy with the mount. I mounted it to the bedroom closet wall of my RV. I just beefed up the back with some scrap wood/plywood to keep it solid. (I had access behind it in the closet) You can see the pics in my Gallery. (my LCD in bedroom is 15")

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 08:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDJollyMon View Post
I bought one from eBay last year. In fact this is the mount and seller I bought from.
http://http://cgi.ebay.com/Universal...QQcmdZViewItem

Same price, but I paid $10 for shipping. Total was under $30, and it holds up to 40 lbs.

I'm very happy with the mount. I mounted it to the bedroom closet wall of my RV. I just beefed up the back with some scrap wood/plywood to keep it solid. (I had access behind it in the closet) You can see the pics in my Gallery. (my LCD in bedroom is 15")
Problem is our bathroom shower is behind the wall so there is no access. All the electric and cable jacks are already there. The TV probably only weighs 8 to 10 lbs so maybe it would be fine to go ahead and install. They have an exisiting bracket on the wall the the TV slides into. Hopefully my husband can match the new mount up.

Thanks for the info.

Rebecca

Ted & Rebecca

10 year old Lab - Morgan

2 Teenage Sons

Old 11-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
You would think if they put up a mount, they did so on something strong like a stud, or reinforced area.

My mount is great. I can pull it out toward the bed about a foot and a half, and fold it dead flat against the wall when not in use. Very versitile.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:15 PM   #5

Rebecca,

Below is a reply I made to someone asking how I attached my LCD tv to the bedroom wall of our 8315SS.

Quote:
First, I located a stud, using a "stud finder". The "stud finder" can be purchased at home improvement stores(Lowe's/Home Depot).

Once the stud was located, I held the swivel mount into position over the stud. I then placed a mark where the two mounting screws would be installed. Be careful, the stud is only 2" wide. I drilled two 1/4" holes in the stud, then placed the swivel mount back into position and attached it to the wall using two 5/16" X 1" Lag Screws.
I used NO backer. The swivel is very sturdy using this method.

The swivel mount was purchased from Wal-Mart.
I normally remove the tv from the mount while traveling by removing only one wing-nut, but have left it mounted a couple time with no problem.

The stud I attached the swivel mount it to is located just above the flip-up tv shelf that came with the 8315SS. I use the flip-up shelf to place a DVD player on.

Click on "Our Photo Site" in my sig. You can find a pic of the swivel mount in the Rockwood Mods album.

Hope this helps,
Old 12-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Rebecca,

Below is a reply I made to someone asking how I attached my LCD tv to the bedroom wall of our 8315SS.

The stud I attached the swivel mount it to is located just above the flip-up tv shelf that came with the 8315SS. I use the flip-up shelf to place a DVD player on.

Click on "Our Photo Site" in my sig. You can find a pic of the swivel mount in the Rockwood Mods album.

Hope this helps,
Michael:

That is just what I am looking for. Where did you get that? We have an 08 8315SS and they no longer have the flip up shelf since they have the flat panel TV hung on the wall. We need a place to put a DVD player as well, so I am thinking about buying a flip down shelf and the swivel mount for the TV.

Does your swivel mount tilt up and down? Or does it just extend out?

Thanks,
Rebecca

Ted & Rebecca

10 year old Lab - Morgan

2 Teenage Sons

Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy hour oasis View Post
Michael:

That is just what I am looking for. Where did you get that? We have an 08 8315SS and they no longer have the flip up shelf since they have the flat panel TV hung on the wall. We need a place to put a DVD player as well, so I am thinking about buying a flip down shelf and the swivel mount for the TV.

Does your swivel mount tilt up and down? Or does it just extend out?

Thanks,
Rebecca

Rebecca,

I purchased the swivel LCD tv mount at Wal-Mart. It's adjustable UP and Down, and LEFT and RIGHT. I don't think they handle the brand I bought any longer. You should be able to find one at places like, Best Buy or Circuit City.

EDIT: .....I believe this is it, Sanus VM2B - VisionMount Black LCD Wall Mount w/Arm and Two Way Articulation

Tags
bed, rockwood