Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
jammer 16

Thiinking of buying a Rockwood windjammer

I'm thinking of buying a FR Rockwood Windjammer 3008W model anyone have any good/bad experience with this model?
rlschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 08:51 PM   #2

We have had ours for two years now and love it just as much, if not more, than the day we bought it. We have about 80 nights camped in it in those two seasons and have logged over 8600 miles with it in tow.

Having the kitchen up front really opens open the living space and makes the trailer feel much larger. We have the free standing dinette with the atrium windows and love all the light that flows in.

It is ideal for two people. We have had guests and the trailer works but when you use the sofa bed, it makes moving around rather difficult. But having two doors allows you options to move about.

Go for it! You'll never regret the decision.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
Happy owner SOB

Just got ours. Spent 9 nights in it already. Love it!
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
Bobo

We have had ours since last August. Great layout. No more having to move to let someone walk by, especially while preparing dinner.

Only negative is I had a Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch from my Sunline. It did not fit. Any WD hitch system that has top mounted tension cams (the lift mechanism to tighten the chains) will not work. The V nose extends over the frame area where they mount. You have to buy an Equalizer brand WD hitch. A good hitch system but an added $650.00 expense that was not expected. Unfortunately, the dealer that I purchased the camper from tried to send me down the road with the Blue Ox, with the chains hanging at a 45 degree angle, telling me it was ok. Another lesson learned. Needless to say, I bought the Equalizer somewhere else at $150.00 cheaper than my "discounted price" from the dealer.

We got the minimum carpet option. Easier to keep clean and looks really nice. FR does a great job with choice of standard products.

Bobo
2001 Coleman Utah
Bobo 3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo 3008 View Post
We have had ours since last August. Great layout. No more having to move to let someone walk by, especially while preparing dinner.

Only negative is I had a Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch from my Sunline. It did not fit. Any WD hitch system that has top mounted tension cams (the lift mechanism to tighten the chains) will not work. The V nose extends over the frame area where they mount. You have to buy an Equalizer brand WD hitch. A good hitch system but an added $650.00 expense that was not expected. Unfortunately, the dealer that I purchased the camper from tried to send me down the road with the Blue Ox, with the chains hanging at a 45 degree angle, telling me it was ok. Another lesson learned. Needless to say, I bought the Equalizer somewhere else at $150.00 cheaper than my "discounted price" from the dealer.

We got the minimum carpet option. Easier to keep clean and looks really nice. FR does a great job with choice of standard products.

Bobo
Statement about Dual cam snap up plates not working on a V-Nose trailer is (NOT) correct! I have seen (4) set ups with the snap up plates on V-Nose trailers. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Bobo

It must be the Blue Ox system then. I have the dents in the body to prove it.

Bobo
2001 Coleman Utah
Bobo 3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #7

We got our windjammer 3008w about a month ago, and we love it. It tows like a dream.
Mollydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

We have had our 2012 Windjammer 3008 since July 2011 and we love it. The layout is perfect for a couple (and 3 dogs!) The workmanship is top notch and the layout is perfect. Lots of room in the kitchen and the bathroom is a pass through so that's nice too. Go for it !!
bikergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Don't Camp Enough

We got our 3008w 3/12 and have really enjoyed the layout. We opted for the thermal windows and 15K A/C. Still having fun doing mods and making it 'ours'

DSMURPHY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Alleged curmudgeon

Very happy with ours...

We took delivery of our new 3008W in May 2012. This is our first TT (having previously been pop-up owners) and we really shopped around (for 2 years) before we made a choice.

We really have enjoyed the 3008W thus far. This particular floor plan seemed (and has proven to be) perfect for two people, but has handled four and five overnight very well for us, when needed. We really like the kitchen's configuration and location, which is very functional and out of the traffic flow, leaving others to move about the TT freely while the kitchen is in use. However, every different floor plan serves a purpose and we've met people very happy with all varieties of floor plans. Selecting the best floor plan for you is a matter of closely considering and really understanding you specific needs. Be sure you study floor plans and think (realistically) about how you camp (and will camp) so that you hit the mark. Over the course of our two year search, this was the most difficult thing to reconcile in our minds, but our thoughts eventually developed greater clarity and, happily, we seem to have hit the mark.

With no experience towing a TT, we were very wary of towing issues. I am happy to report we have found the Windjammer to tow very well and quickly became very comfortable with it. Coupled with an Equalizer 4-way hitch, it is very manageable for us.

During our search, we eventually were drawn to what we felt was the quality, trim, and fit of the Rockwood Signature Ultra-lites and Windjammers lines, which seemed very good to us compared to other brands (admittedly as novices). The quality has not disappointed. We have had very few issues requiring any attention from the dealer, and have received nothing but encouraging compliments from more experienced campers who have come around to check out our rig.

After 29 nights in it last year, we are very much looking forward to our second season in the Windjammer. Good luck with your choice (and don't forget to enjoy the journey).

Happy camping!

Lee
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34); 2018 (39); 2019 (30); 2020 (16); 2021 (14); 2022 to date (12)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo 3008 View Post

Bobo
Your dealer apparently had no idea how to setup a Blue Ox hitch as I have one and it works flawlessly. The chains drop straight down. I have had the old style snap up brackets that you use the bar on and now have the rotary latches and both have worked perfectly. Also the Blue Ox when it is dialed in is dream to pull with. Yes the original snap up brackets are a tight fit and you can get a few dents in the lower metal panels but the hitch sets up correctly and the new rotary latches are the slickest thing I have ever used.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #12

How do you find the gas mileage on the Ford Ecoboost?
fancynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #13

It's right at 10 MPG. I think if you pull with a gas engine that's about what you get. My previous Silverado was about the same. Better MPG when not towing and truck is just more responsive when I am pulling.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote